E46 Fanatics Forum banner

2004 smg

7K views 58 replies 16 participants last post by  Ballerbrian4u 
#1 ·
Hey guys I have a 2004 m3 with smg and for the past 100 miles the car shutters from a stop. The car just hit 45,000 miles. The problem only come when the car is warmed up and I have done the smg reset witch helps for a second but then it come back. Please help me fix this problem!

#6 ·
How about TC? Also how are your tires, and conditions that you're driving in? As of right now, it sounds like a clutch relearn for the SMG at the very least and maybe you have some air in the hydraulics. Kinda tough to tell. You might want to have someone hook up a GT1 and see if there are any errors that may not have generated a CEL yet.

#12 ·
What he said, has been the best advice. Before you get there have you left the battery unplugged for a few hours? I have had the same problem come and go, but not enough for me to do more than a soft reset. Just in case that is 40 MPH, stick to "N", hold both paddles for 10 seconds.

#17 · (Edited)
Hey BallerBrian,

Unfortunately I don't have good news for you, but I'll offer my opinion of what I think is happening. I have the same thing that developed in my car about 8 months ago. Mine is a 2006 SMG w similar miles as yours.

I would get the shutter in first gear only when "hot" or "warmed up"; and I always suspected hot spots on the clutch. It drove me insane...

The first time I took it in the techs blew me of telling me you have to "drive the car more carefully" and that it was just "touchy" - I was furious; but put up with it until it got worse only because I didn't want to go back to those clowns.

The second time I took it to a different dealership; I asked them to adjust the SMG properly (using a hard reset / adaptation that they can do with their software). He agreed to do this but on the test drive he agreed with me that it felt like the clutch was slipping / had hot spots- and the reset would likely not fix the shutter.

To shorten the story; the software reset (not just pulling the paddles back at 40mph ect) did nothing, and the tech agreed that it likely needs a clutch.

I have no idea what the standard clutch replacement interval is in these cars; but 40k seems a bit on the light side... either way; I'm going to get mine replaced in the next month as it has progressed from the problem that you are currently experiencing to an overall slipping under harder shifts which I KNOW is clutch slippage, unfortunately.

Anyways; I'm curious to see if a new clutch was the solution to this problem for any other members?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.