E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Sound comming from rear of car, suspension related.

3K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  wlmmn 
#1 ·
The other day i started to notice a sound comming from my trunk. The best way i can describe it is that it sounds like a hollow thud when i go over small imperfection in the road, and on bumps of any sort. Sounds maybe like something is loose, but no recent work has been done on the car.

The sounds is comming from my trunk, and i thought it sounded like my battery moving around or something, but its not. I cleaned ot my trunk and got everything out of it so i know it i not that, and i made sure my spare and all the other stuff was well held down and had no room to move.

I pinpointed it to my passenger side rear is where the sound it comming from.

and suggestion on what it could be, and what i should check cause the sound is getting alittle louder and it is really annoying me.

#4 ·
Easiest place to start is by pulling back the trunk liner - I'd start with the passenger side since that's where the noise seems to be coming from. I'd look for signs of anything loose. Could be anything from a loose shock top nut, loose shock mount nuts, torn rubber in the mounts, or damage to the shock tower itself. With the suspension loaded from either the car sitting on the ground or from the wheel/hub dangling should you jack up the rear, it may be hard to tell visually if there is a problem. Honestly, unless the mounts have recently been replaced, I'd just go ahead an replace them as it's not much more work than trying to inspect them.

#6 ·
I had a thunk whenever I went over bumps, which had been eluding me for a few months. Every time I jacked the car up, the wheel dropped down, and tightened everything up, so I couldn't find the problem. After working on a few other things on the car, I jumped up and down on the rear lip of the trunk (the part hidden by the trunk lid) and heard the clunking sound.

Turns out the left rear shock bolt, on the bottom, was working it's way out and causing slop in turns and the crazy noise over bumps.

Learn from my adventures, check the bottom bolts as well as the top!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.