E46 Fanatics Forum banner

E46 330ci smg

6K views 25 replies 13 participants last post by  Wolrab 
#1 ·
Longtime BMW guy, but don't know much about the SMG transmission. Found a good deal on this car and wanted a few opinions on the tranny and what (if anything) to be on the lookout for when driving it. I know the obvious, but I need specifics. Its a 2004 330CI with an SMG. Let me know if anyone needs anymore information on the vehicle specifics. Thanks in advance!

#7 ·
SMG/SSG trans in E46 are an excellent choice if you plan on being very fast around the track . Otherwise its for those who cant learn how to drive manual , because on the street there would be no difference in performance.

Basically, Sequential trans are miles better then a manual but you gotta pay to play and be prepared to pay alot.

#11 ·
Otherwise its for those who cant learn how to drive manual , because on the street there would be no difference in performance.
My SMG has been the first non-manual car I've owned and I'm 29. I learned how to drive on a manual way before I was 16. So I don't know where this "either for track or because you can't drive a stick" mindset comes from. Flat out ignorance I suppose.

Some of us drive SMG because...wait for it....WE ENJOY IT.

#9 ·
$333?! I spend more than that at the bar on the weekends... Thanks for that. I've done a little more research myself and it seems pretty reliable with the correct maintenance and adjustments. I'm not looking for an M. If I were, I would buy an M... This is a steal on this car and I may just buy it.

#12 ·
LOL I hear ya. I couldn't see BMW putting a transmission in a run of the mill 330i that was meant for the track only. As cheap as this thing is, if it goes, I'll drop another tranny in it and still be ahead. Thanks for all the opinions. If i move on it, I'll post a picture on here. Thanks again.

#13 ·
I have an 04 330i with SMG and love it. Took a bit of getting used to but it really is great once you adapt to it. I fear the day when it may fail but I'm also preparing for it and depending on the price tag I'll just throw a 6 speed manual tranny on it...
Don't let the fact that it's SMG discourage you as long as it was maintained properly you should be good to go.

#14 ·
The seller has all paperwork concerning the upkeep of the tranny. It was all done in the Bimmer house. I'm fairly confident I'll enjoy it. I'm going to drive it tomorrow. I'll let everyone now how it goes. If I like it, I'm buying it. This may be a stupid question, but how much different in driving experience is it from the Steptronic? I have fun with that. I'm not at all against a manual, but it's hard to pass up this deal. He wants $10,900 for an '04 330Ci with 63K on the odometer. Got to have it.

#15 · (Edited)
That's a deal. I paid a couple grand more for mine, same year 65K. Just remember to lift your foot off the gas while you shift gears, it makes all the difference. There is no similarities with the Steptronic...it shifts like a manual, you just don't have a clutch to press. If you finance it with Pentagon Federal Credit Union, you can also buy an all inclusive extended warranty for another 6 years or 100K miles for $1800. It was worth the piece of mind back then but after driving the car for two months, it runs like a champ and I'm not sure it was worth it. Still...

#18 ·
^^^

Wrong. The pump repair kit is the actual pump, not sure why the call it a "kit". http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=520159 If the whole SMG system, needs to be replaced then yes, that is a hefty price. However, metal lines and tanks don't just go bad so the most common parts that would likely need to be replaced are the pump, the actuator and the slave cylinder. There's is actually a DIY of how to replace the seal at the slave cylinder instead of the entire unit, keeping the costs very low. See above thread.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.