E46 Fanatics Forum banner

ipad mini in e46

27K views 47 replies 18 participants last post by  323ciandrey 
#1 ·
I want to float this by you guys see if anyone is interested in doing it. I've found most of the parts but some modifications will be necessary. so here is the idea:

ipad mini + oxygen head unit + double din bezel + some work = bad ass ipod mini installation.

The thing I like about the oxygen head unit, http://www.autotoys.com/x/product.php?productid=22573, is that it lets the ipod/iphone or in this case ipad run an app to control the unit. This will take a lot of work. but here are the steps i think would get this done:

1. find out if the head unit will accept an ipad instead of an iphone. the app is compatible with the ipad. Might be as simple as seeing if the ipad mini can download the app.
2. modify the bezel so that it will accept the iPad. I think a pop up docking solution would be nice. like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQHNc-C7pGY
3. modify the 30-pin to lightning with this: http://www.amazon.com/Apple-Lightning-30-Pin-Adapter-0-2M/dp/B0097BEG08/ref=pd_sim_e_2
4. take apart the head unit and figure out a way to move the volume nob. then it would be a matter of connecting the oxygen radio to the harness and placing it deep enough that the ipad can sit in front of it.

total cost = labor and inventiveness + 329 (ipad mini @ walmart) + 39 (cable) + 278 (radio) + ~100 (bezel) = $746 which is not a bad deal. just don't know if I'll buy all these things and leave the project half done. so i decided to share and maybe someone would get all the parts together and get 'er done!

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
total cost = labor and inventiveness + 329 (ipad mini @ walmart) + 39 (cable) + 278 (radio) + ~100 (bezel) = $746 which is not a bad deal.
Just want to throw this option out there, you can get an Android Dynavin unit for $60 more and have the same functionality, plus more. And it integrates with your car much, much better. In fact, it will completely integrate with your car.

#24 ·
Not to start a argument, but Android would have started with or without Apples technologies. The key aspect in android is the open source programming and ability to customize nearly any aspect you see fit, essentially you aren't bound by what Tim Cook says. The first touch screen phone wasn't an Iphone, it was an IBM Simon in '92 if you were wondering.
The Android's greatest strength is it's open sourcing. That's also it's greatest weakness. It's so easy to hack wirelessly or otherwise. When you upgrade and want to trade it in, following the manufacturers instructions to wipe the device clean has been proven to not work; information can still be pulled/found on the device. Hence my comment about taking a hammer to it to fully secure it.

Apple anything is proprietary and therefore much more secure.

#26 ·
The Android's greatest strength is it's open sourcing. That's also it's greatest weakness. It's so easy to hack wirelessly or otherwise. When you upgrade and want to trade it in, following the manufacturers instructions to wipe the device clean has been proven to not work; information can still be pulled/found on the device. Hence my comment about taking a hammer to it to fully secure it.

Apple anything is proprietary and therefore much more secure.
That's not quite true. That's like saying apples also can't get viruses.
Data can usually be restored, no matter the device.
Unless of course, they do your hammer trick.

#4 ·
this would be a nice install. it would loose the rear view camera that the dynavin has. Might be better at other stuff that the dynavin at least mine fails on. when the phone rings only the number shows up. bluetooth audio doesn't play while in maps. ipod controls suck. and perhaps a few other things but it would be pretty bad ass.

#37 ·
Like most apple/windows/android debates. Everyone is mis/uninformed

In response to OP:

iPods, iPhones, and iPads will see it as an accessory, as the ipod app, is the same.

You would need to relocate the HVAC down to the sunglass holder. Then custom build a double din case/mount for the ipad to fit in, while disguising the wire.
Use the lightning to 30pin wire adaptor, not the small plug, it will work better.
I would use something like the dice unit so you can control the audio from the steering wheel. relocating folume knob will be a PITA.

#38 ·
I would like to address the off topic things: Android is good and if it where the only mobile OS it would be the best, what i like about it is that it is way better than anything that existed before it, excluding iOS. Now iOS is good but it's not advancing as fast as android. Android has 2 releases in the time iOS release one. it was not as good at first but now it is a potent OS. I say in a year it will be hands down the better OS. but then this BB10 came out. It looks like android but with all the rough edges taken away. It seems like it could take all those Droid fans and turn them back to BB fans. now with that said a few will also use the Windows mobile. iOS devices are expensive yet they still sell. I don't care how chick you are if you are not good people won't pay. but like I said give it a year and let's see what happens. The past is gone the present is occurring but the future is unknown.

Now back to point -> I agree that this is not a cake walk but there is a droid diy. http://www.bmdroid.co.nz/, as an example. This would be better since the Radio would still work., in the droid arrangement the radio functionality went away. This unit would allow the ipad to control the radio. I am aware that some gives will occur. I won't have the steering wheel controls :-(. I won't have my rear view camera :-(. I never use the cd/dvd so that's not a loss. but lots of gains: There will be less buttons! better interactivity. the potential to add wifi devices for media storage. plus this setup should be significantly better than the setup those custom guys did here in Tampa. They had to install some sort of control unit that sticks out by the shifter. Do I think it's better than the dynavin? probably not 100% but it might be significantly better in some things and bad in others. might be an even trade in the end but I think it's a good project for someone that would like a double din touchscreen entertainment system.

Basically i did the legwork now we need a procedure to make it happen.

#40 ·
You guys are ridiculous
Trying to compare a Dynavin head unit in your car, (that mind you, NONE of you even know the specs of becuase they are nowhere to be found) to having the capability of just popping out an iPad and taking it on the go.
Then you get into an argument about apple vs. (insert other company)
This thread actually had some real merit, as i believe the Dynavins are garbage. The only cool thing about them is plug and play capability. But that only gets you a semi decent radio with almost the exact same specs as the factory OEM nav. For around a thousand dollars, I would MUCH rather be able to take my tablet out of the car and into work with me after my drive. Try doing that with your Dynavin...

#42 ·
My thoughts:

- iPad Mini in custom bezel
- Jailbroken and configured to automatically turn on/off music and the device itself when the power/ignition cuts/comes back
- Audio output goes directly to a DSP with volume remote control (Mosconi 6to8, BitOne, PXA-H800)

Steering wheel control and car info is going to be a pain though. I've been thinking about the plausibility of using the RaspberryPi GPIO pins to do iBus interop and then communicate this to an iPad interface using wifi. This would be overly complex to get to work properly though. An android tablet with USB host mode and a serial driver (for the Resler iBus interface) would make things a ton easier.

#43 ·
Check out soundman Car audio on Youtube, those guys are really good on ipad And ipad mini installs. I have been wanting to do the same and their float mount over Bluetooth seems to be the cheapest install. This can be a very nice looking set up but you definitely need to spend some money in order to get the proper sound out of your music and clean install. Soundman should give you some good ideas, check them out

#47 ·
View attachment 562897

I did this a while back thought I should share. I personally love it my iPad is connected to my AT&T service I have anything and everything I need on it. No need to jail break or find wifi spots. What's your opinion on it ?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Impressive work! I wish the screen was narrower though so the tablet integrated better.

#46 ·
I don't understand why when anyone mentions Apple on any sort of board or forum, the Windows/Android fanboys come in bash the crap out of the Apple products making some huge debate about how the Windows and Android platforms are so much better this/that. The post didn't say "Finally they made an Apple based stereo system for our cars, the best or nothing."

Back on topic: It's certainly a cool idea, since it has the maps, TV, apps (Spotify, Pandora, iHeart Radio, etc.), and even internet and whatnot. However, the casing for it to be set in could be more appealing. The black box is very plain. I'd want something possibly with a tilt out and still have like a volume knob or something to make it not so plain, but that's just me.

If you decide to install it, I hope you enjoy it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.