E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Interlagos Blue Paint Issues

5K views 39 replies 24 participants last post by  omes 
#1 · (Edited)
The first day I picked up my 2005 IB M3, I washed it and took a brush to remove wax in the crevaces that the dealer missed. To my surprise the brush (by Mothers, which is made exactly for this) put scratches in my paint. Not deep scratches, but if you look in bright light (sunshine or florescent) you can see the "mirror" replaced by haze upon close inspection. I wrote it up to a bad move on my part and did not use the brush again.

Last night I filled up (actually topped off) before the prices go up again and a little gas spilled out. I took one of the paper towels that the Mobile station had hanging there to wipe it up and low and behold more scratches!!! How can a paper towel lightly rubbed on paint (that has like 10 coats of wax) scratch so easily?

Has anyone with Interlagos Blue experienced the same issue? Is this a weak clear coat common to BMWs?

#28 ·
InterlagosBlue said:
is there's special wax for wheels or can i just use the same wax for the paint on the wheels? I tried Michelin Anti-Brake Dust spray and it sucks. Cleaning my ZCP wheels is a pain in the ass with all those spokes, and when i don't clean it for 2 weeks it looks like i have Gunmetal wheels :)

learn to love cleaning your wheels :woot:

. . . if that brake dust (especially on the front wheels) heats up enough and is on there for a few weeks it might tarnish your wheels a bit for good . . . i clean mine everyday :)

i-blue is tough to keep clean and shows dirt immediately - but IMHO it is hands down the best color bmw makes - looks radiant blue under the sun and purplish at night . . . siiick :thumbup:

Mliner those pics just made me wanna wax my car . . .

#30 ·
InterlagosBlue said:
is there's special wax for wheels or can i just use the same wax for the paint on the wheels? I tried Michelin Anti-Brake Dust spray and it sucks. Cleaning my ZCP wheels is a pain in the ass with all those spokes, and when i don't clean it for 2 weeks it looks like i have Gunmetal wheels :)
Wheel waxes are made so they don't break down at higher temps, so they are different than regular waxes. I go so sick of cleaning my wheels (used to take me an hour) that I got Axxis Deluxe pads. They are 1000x better as far as dusting and I only lost the major bite of the stock pads. I am willing to deal because cleaning the wheels on the ZCP is the biggest PITA.

I also tried the Michelin anti-brake dust spray and it helped some, but the time it took to apply on these wheels made it counter-productive.

#31 ·
Marak said:
Did you find anything to solve (or minimize the scratches)? I have
experienced similar condition. Have 05 model;IB color. Have had some
micro-scratching caused by microfiber cloth (and this was supposedly
an excellent quality microfiber). Am now being careful not to apply pressure
when buffing off wax. Let me know what you have found that helps
minimize the problem.

Marak
I just stopped looking at it under florescent lights :rolleyes:

I see some scratches occasionally, but I am just careful to use a MF cloth and hope for the best.

#32 ·
elvisinturn1 said:
I don't want it. For a car that is 5 months old (not even) it looks like it's been driven daily for 3 years. I'm anal as hell about the car too.
My Carbon Black M3 also shows scratches, but any dark car will. I also have a dark red Suburban and notice the same swirling/paint scratch as my M3. I'm anal about cars too and am considering getting that invisible sheild stuff on the fronts of both my cars (and maybe side mirrors) to prevent the rock chips.

#33 ·
DarthBimmer said:
My Carbon Black M3 also shows scratches, but any dark car will. I also have a dark red Suburban and notice the same swirling/paint scratch as my M3. I'm anal about cars too and am considering getting that invisible sheild stuff on the fronts of both my cars (and maybe side mirrors) to prevent the rock chips.

Go to "Detailed Images" website (check out the detailing threads in
this forum).

THey have a product that will easily remove the swirls.....I believe
its a "Poorboy's" product. Seems to work great.

#36 ·
spta97 said:
The first day I picked up my 2005 IB M3, I washed it and took a brush to remove wax in the crevaces that the dealer missed. To my surprise the brush (by Mothers, which is made exactly for this) put scratches in my paint. Not deep scratches, but if you look in bright light (sunshine or florescent) you can see the "mirror" replaced by haze upon close inspection. I wrote it up to a bad move on my part and did not use the brush again.

Last night I filled up (actually topped off) before the prices go up again and a little gas spilled out. I took one of the paper towels that the Mobile station had hanging there to wipe it up and low and behold more scratches!!! How can a paper towel lightly rubbed on paint (that has like 10 coats of wax) scratch so easily?

Has anyone with Interlagos Blue experienced the same issue? Is this a weak clear coat common to BMWs?
you are not suppose to wash or wax your new car for the first 3 weeks or so. the paint needs some time to settle.

and wiping your car with a aper towel = scratches... having IB or black just make it more obvious.

#39 ·
spta97 said:
I just stopped looking at it under florescent lights :rolleyes:

I see some scratches occasionally, but I am just careful to use a MF cloth and hope for the best.
I also just got my 06 Interlagos Blue M3 Twoo weeks ago and at the dealer i noticed some scatches on the car and was going to refuse delivery of the car right there and then if they don't fix it. When I got home I found more minor scratch's. I'm in the process of getting the 3M clear custom bra done, and don't even ask how much they wanted for that! Wow I was going into cardiac failure when he tood me the price, insane!!! But I haven't waxed the car yet, just washed it. But I thought I was the only one in NY that has the Interlagos Blue? Glad to see someone else has this awsome color! Do you live in queens by any chance? Because I've seen another I-Blue with the ACS front lip that looked great! But you should think about that clear bra, people sware by it! I'm getting it done and the tint at T.O.T.L.T in New Jersey! But where are you located at? Great to know there's another I-Blue here!:thumbup: But I'm going out to see if I can get some good wax for the care and talk to some paint friends to see what they recomend doing with my car! And never take it to the car wash you will regret it for the rest of your ownership of the car!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.