E46 Fanatics Forum banner

anyone have a how-to on drifting? =P

3K views 25 replies 19 participants last post by  tomalexm 
#1 ·
anyone have a how-to on drifting? ;)

#2 ·
eternityx3 said:
anyone have a how-to on drifting? ;)
Prediction: You WILL damage your car in one way or the other.

Drifting happens. You should be looking for how to avoid drifting if you want to be fast.

I understand it's become very popular to do this with your car though. I hope you get some good advice. I'll be the first to console you when you try it and hurt your car, or worse, yourself.

Good Luck, and practice on the autocross course, or find a paved empty parking lot, field or something. There should not be any thing to stop an uncontrolled spin except the fricition of rubber and pavement.

Later,

Daniel

#5 ·
Big Parking lot at night in winter when it's just snowed.

1)turn DSC Off.
2)Start at low speeds to get a feel for oversteering.

basically you can turn your front wheels left or right, floor it, then when oversteer occurs, just counter steer.

If you go faster like I do (usually 90-100 km/hr ) (yeah it's a big ass parking lot with a nice runway) you can feather brake into an oversteer.

Or you can keep the speeds lower (30-40) and perform a J-turn by disbalancing your car, then pull up and drop the e-brake to give a litthe swing. It's almost like doing a reverse 180.

REMEMBER:

Look where you want to go.

Practice in the wee hours of the morning 1-4am, because no one is there, and you won't risk injuring others in case something goes wrong.

If there is a car which enters the lot. Be curteous and come to a full stop and let them pass.

#8 ·
Kain said:
Is drifting in any way bad for the car?
can't be good for the tires.

and there's always the risk of losing control and smashing into something.

#10 ·
It's really hard on your suspension. It's designed to absorb up/down movement, not lateral movement. When you're drifting, you're essentially pushing in really hard on the bottom of the outside rear wheel. That's tremendous sideway stress to a wheel. If you have low profile tires, you also risk damaging your rim as the tires will rolll underneath it a bit when pushed like that. That's why the Japanese drifters lower the psi on the tires to give it more sidewall contact patch.

With the warnings out of the way, there are quite a few ways to induce oversteer. Drifting is essentially throttle-steering your car once it's in overstter condition. What's throttle steering? Well... uhmm.. go to a car control clinic. They'll have you go around in a circle really fast, and you'll notice that you can increase the diameter or decrease the diameter of the circle by adjusting the gas pedal without turning the steering wheel. It has racing application too, because you can turn left/right in a turn by using your throttle, not your steering wheel. Driving schools rule!

How to induce oversteer? Well, find a real wet area. Dry spots are too harsh on your car. You can 1) pull handbrake while in a turn, 2) full throttle to spin the rear wheel while in a turn, 3) in the middle of a turn, abruptly lift off the throttle, then re-engage throttle once the tail have spun out.

My recommendation is first go to a BMWCCA sponsored car control clinic. Learn what understeer and oversteer feels like, and how to control it. After you're familiar with what it feels like, then try it out on a wet parking lot. Don't try drifting around on the street! Your turning radius may be a lot larger than you anticipated and you'll hit curbs, real hard.

What's the difference between understeer and oversteer? In understeer you see what you're going to hit. In oversteer you have no idea what you're going to hit.

#11 · (Edited)
sailwind said:
It's really hard on your suspension. It's designed to absorb up/down movement, not lateral movement. When you're drifting, you're essentially pushing in really hard on the bottom of the outside rear wheel. That's tremendous sideway stress to a wheel. If you have low profile tires, you also risk damaging your rim as the tires will rolll underneath it a bit when pushed like that. That's why the Japanese drifters lower the psi on the tires to give it more sidewall contact patch.

With the warnings out of the way, there are quite a few ways to induce oversteer. Drifting is essentially throttle-steering your car once it's in overstter condition. What's throttle steering? Well... uhmm.. go to a car control clinic. They'll have you go around in a circle really fast, and you'll notice that you can increase the diameter or decrease the diameter of the circle by adjusting the gas pedal without turning the steering wheel. It has racing application too, because you can turn left/right in a turn by using your throttle, not your steering wheel. Driving schools rule!

How to induce oversteer? Well, find a real wet area. Dry spots are too harsh on your car. You can 1) pull handbrake while in a turn, 2) full throttle to spin the rear wheel while in a turn, 3) in the middle of a turn, abruptly lift off the throttle, then re-engage throttle once the tail have spun out.

My recommendation is first go to a BMWCCA sponsored car control clinic. Learn what understeer and oversteer feels like, and how to control it. After you're familiar with what it feels like, then try it out on a wet parking lot. Don't try drifting around on the street! Your turning radius may be a lot larger than you anticipated and you'll hit curbs, real hard.

What's the difference between understeer and oversteer? In understeer you see what you're going to hit. In oversteer you have no idea what you're going to hit.
The Japenese Drifter shows dont lower their PSI tho. If you've ever seen that 30 min clip where the guy gets out he's hanging onto the car and its still going (big ol drifter show)... their cars have mad camber and extra stiff tires that only make contact on the inner edges. This gives them less contact area on the ground so they can continuely keep the tires spinning and drifts more consistent... kinda like playing in the dirt :p

Plus, i dont know that I would lower my PSI to drift on a normal car anyway... as you said you risk rim damage and lowering your psi only encourages that, plus your sidewalls aren't meant to be used to save your rims. ;)

#21 ·
Arlau said:
Can someone tell me how to get invovled with the BMWCCA driving clinics? I live on the West coast. Thanks! :pimpin:
First, you want to join BMWCCA car club at:

http://www.bmwcca.org/

After joining, you will be assigned to our local BMWCCA Golden Gate Chapter, which host these events. You can take a look at the event schedule here:

http://www.ggc-bmw-cca.org/

And look under calendars. There is one this weekend at Las Vegas, but it's too late for you to register. Nonetheless, there are plenty more coming up! I think I may be going to either the June buttonwillow or the september Sears point driving school.

#23 ·
reading, watching a dvd, or attending one (or a dozen) CCC isn't going to help you with drifting and true car control.

if you really want to learn, get a beater car and take a rally class.

also ask of the people who has posted so far, how many has FUc-Ked their car up by trying to "drift" on the public road.

#25 ·
Most of the drift cars are dialed with a lot of over steering. They usually remove the rear sway bar and modify the steering column to improve turning angle.

To drift in a BMW is quite easy. BMWs are pretty balanced front to rear. It is easy to side step on any given corner with weight transfer (brake or throttle). To keep it side way, you need HP to sustain the rear wheel spinning (smoking).

I know a lot of people (at the race track) really look down on drifting. I had a classroom instructor called my action stupid (while I was one of the instructor at my BMWCCA chapter. BTW, I am the VP for my local chapter). In my opinion, drifting actually improved my driving skill. I am no longer panicing while the back end come out at the high speed corner. Yes, it does burn your rubber. But, so does driving on the track that burns fuel, brake pads, brake rotors and other things. I am sure some people here constitue that abuse to your car.

Drifting is just another form of motorsports. Please try it in a safe place. Also, to have a real cool drift, you gotta have LSD in your car. Otherwise, you can't keep going sideway too long.

Good luck.

:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.