E46 Fanatics Forum banner

M54B30 ZHP engine swap into 323

175K views 546 replies 70 participants last post by  Mango 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello,

Just bought a M54B30 ZHP engine off a wrecked car for about $2600. Next week the shipper is sending it out to me and I will start doing my swap. I am going to replace my M52TUB25 engine.

The ZHP engine has about 90,000 miles.

Planning to do the VANOS seal, vanos rattle and change out all the gaskets.

I am planning to run my original injectors, MAF, throttle body (mechanical), and DME (sharked).

Of course I will get it DYNO after the swap and report back. Currently my car has about 175HP (Dynojet) so I am very anxious to see how many ponies I will see after the swap.

More to follow. the update will be slow because I have to wait for the engine to arrive but I will start updating with pix and of the build as soon as I get the parts.

so excited!!!

#49 ·
Has this plan been revised? Nothing in this original plan sounds like it will work.
-Original injectors won't put in enough fuel with 330 software, since 330 makes calculations based on higher flow fuel injectors.
-330 ecu and software do the calculating from throttle pedal to throttle body, so is wiring going to be different and how will the ECU react to not having all inputs?
-Will a Conforti Shark Injector even allow you to replace software of one model with another for liability reasons?
-Will your ECU even be compatible with the needed software?
She's swapping the block and using her existing ECU and sensors. Well see how it turns out.

#51 ·
From a programmable Bosch ECU guide:
The injection time depends mainly on throttle position, engine speed, fuel pressure and injection valve type. To get a first estimation, the following characteristics must be known:
• displacement per cylinder VC (m3)
• expected intake manifold pressure (after throttle) pi [Pa]
• desired lambda value ***955;
• operating fuel pressure pf [bar]
• injection valve flow rate Qstat [g/min] at reference fuel pressure pfRef [bar]
• intake air temperature Ti [K]
The fuel mass mf is calculated by: ...
The only difference with the E46 setup is in place of manifold pressure and intake air temperature there is a MAF. If you change the block, the displacement value goes wrong. The ECU will still calculate fuel, but it will have an incorrect value, and will inject incorrect amounts of fuel.

With a larger displacement, and no other changes I'd expect the mixture to run lean, misfires would occur, the engine would try some enrichment compensating, and then go into safe mode.

Maybe a ghetto fix would be just install an adjustable fuel pressure regulator, and slowly up the fuel pressure, until the engine compensation amounts were close to neutral. :rofl: The mapping probably wouldn't be ideal though, as camshaft and intake properties would throw things off in a few areas.

#54 · (Edited)
lol, short temper today? I was just chatting about engine stuff. Notice most of the stuff I said had a question mark behind them and not a :facepalm:?

If I wanted to come in hear and annoy you, I'd start putting stuff in bold and saying "YOU HAVE NO READING COMPREHENSION!!!!"

EDIT: oh wait, you already did that to me...

#56 · (Edited)
M54B30 only
BMW Part No: 13 53 7 546 245
Manufacturer: Siemens
Manufacturer Part No: 1439800
Flow rate: 244cc/min or 23.2lbs/hr at 3 bar (43.5psi)
315cc/min or 30.0lbs/hr at 5 bar

All M54 and M52tu (excluding M54B30)
BMW Part No: 13 53 7 546 244
Manufacturer Part No: 1427240
Flow rate: 161cc/min or 15.3lbs/hr at 3 bar (43.5psi)
208cc/min or 19.8lbs/hr at 5 bar

#57 · (Edited)
Yes, bow down before my trolling and arrogance with somewhat useful information. :thanks: Ok, now I'm going to troll somebody else who is in over their heads.

M54B30 only
Flow rate: 315cc/min or 30.0lbs/hr

Flow rate: 208cc/min or 19.8lbs/hr
thanks for the 2.5 flow injector answer (sincerely mean this) but I think your B30 flow rate is wrong. a lot of people keep on saying that the B30 flow rate is 30lbs/hr but PEI330 has confirmed that it is istead a 24ft/lbs. I will put my money on PEI because 1) he is Canadian and 2) he is a god

here is what PEI330 wrote on his amazing build thread on my330i

With "spark" handled, I turned my attention to fuel. The purple ones are the OEM 24 lb/hr injectors, the maroon ones are new 30 lb/hr injectors:

It appears that the OEM injectors have a directional nozzle that points towards the valves. The OEM injector is on the left, new one on the right:

#60 ·
Flash a couple of things ...

1-Im so subscribed to this thread.
2-I :clap: you for the attempt.
3-Please document and post pics of every Inch and detail as many 323I owners will be most likely doing this after you do It.
4-Will you be parting any thing from youre 323 ?
5-Have a look at DYNOTUNE...may wanna get a euro flash...

Ill be back with more ...

#63 ·
yes sir. my goal is to take as many pictures. the engine is coming on Tuesday and I am so excited.

I have a lot of 323i extra 323i parts sitting around. I just hate going to the post office and mailing stuff. you are more happy to ask for any parts but just be patient on the mailing part (of course I am not going make you pay until i am ready to shipped).

I have purple injectors from zhp i parted out, if u need them - g.l.
Thanks. I think I bought the B30 intake manifold from you last year for my retrofit project.

#61 ·
I think I fixed the problem, everything works if the Siemens data is listed at 5 bar, when the commonly used standard is 3 bar, 43.5 psi.

M54B30 only
Flow rate: 244cc/min or 23.2lbs/hr at 3 bar (43.5psi)
315cc/min or 30.0lbs/hr at 5 bar

Flow rate: 161cc/min or 15.3lbs/hr at 3 bar (43.5psi)
208cc/min or 19.8lbs/hr at 5 bar
cool thanx. can you help me with the calculation for 3.5 bar. I think all e46 fuel pressure is 3.5 bar

#73 ·
Ive read some OG threads on other sites and truthfully nothing really was Illustrated or documented properly , What was started out as a project ended up as "So op did you resolve the problem" OR "OP Its been to long pls update us".

Its a project Ive thought about numerous times but never fell through because of mixed ans , Ideally yes theres always some thing that comes up or come short through the process but from what Ive read Its never been Illustrated with a complete detail.

Ps....Will we finally see what Miss flash looks like through pics ? And yes we dont mind pointy elbows the blonde/big boobs makes up for It :p

#77 ·
mini update:

I freight company delivered the engine today. Tomorrow I will put the engine on my cherry picker or engine stand to do a visual and check out the engine cosmetically. so far it seems like the engine was man handled while disassembling or was beat up during shipment. the pallet that the engine was completely broken (the company didn't strapped down the engine) and almost every other plastic components on the engine is broken (water pump, valve cover, etc). the good news is that I am planning to replace all of those items anyway so it really doesn't matter but it still upset me a little that people could be so careless with other people property. oh yeah, there was oil stain all over the plastic wrapping so I hope the engine pan isn't broken.

i will post pictures tomorrow.

#78 · (Edited)
Subd... Flash having worked In the transport field for a good part , You can claim all damaged goods provided proof , Hence If you have any pics of the Item prior to It being sent out helps , If you have a documented contract from whom ever you purchased the block from saying that theres no damaged parts and that theres no leaks can save you alot.

I would have a look Into It ..

#80 ·
Good news, sort of.
Post some pics. Inspect the oil filter housing. Mine was cracked and I didn't notice until the engine was in the car.
The problem with claiming damage is that packing is shippers responsibility. If they didn't strap it down then it's their fault. I would contact the seller and get the broken pieces replaced (if it's a wrecking yard they should have some spares)
thanks guys. I will upload the pictures tonight. I just contacted the seller and lets see if they get defensive or is willing to make everything right.

I still can't work on my engine cuz I still need to clear coat my garage floor but tomorrow I might remove the following to inspect for potential problems:

intake manifold: check for carbon deposit on the valves and inside the intake air channels

valve cover gasket: check for sludge

oil pan: check for the oil pump nut

more to come

#79 ·
Good news, sort of.
Post some pics. Inspect the oil filter housing. Mine was cracked and I didn't notice until the engine was in the car.
The problem with claiming damage is that packing is shippers responsibility. If they didn't strap it down then it's their fault. I would contact the seller and get the broken pieces replaced (if it's a wrecking yard they should have some spares)

#81 ·
here are the pictures of the M54B30 engine I promised. nothing too exciting but I think that this engine overheated and/or have a blown head gasket. does anyone else care to comment or am I just being paranoid? I see dried coolant/water stain on all the exhaust port (white specks)

coolant stains in every exhaust ports:

here is a reference of a regular exhaust port (from Adam's (PEI330) NA build thread on my330). Adam's exhaust ports are all black and has no white specks

#83 ·
I'm no genius but if you look at other aluminum parts on the engine you can see corrosion starting(not a biggie). It could just be corrosion from the motor sitting.

Looking forward to the swap!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.