E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-16-2014, 06:36 PM   #21
tsalhani5

No harm done buddy, thanks for your advise.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
tsalhani5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 07:02 PM   #22
4ngie

My Ride: Chrissspyy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpgolf1 View Post
Just making sure. When someone comes here asking about modding a BMW that they don't even have yet it's just smart to at least bring it to their attention. No harm done in it was there? As far as YouTube being a bad place to compare exhausts so is asking other people. Exhaust note preferences are different for everyone, and really you get a better "idea" on YouTube than you do asking other people what they like. Good luck with the car OP. My work here is done.

I've personally never heard a Magnaflow in person (that I know of). I'm actually really interested in knowing how people think the sound compares to the TSE3 because if it is comparable, I'd rather save the money and buy extra goodies. I'm not a fan of a lot of rasp.. and my laptop doesn't have the best speakers, so youtube isn't working out for me so far. I have looked though.. not gonna lie.

4ngie likes this.
4ngie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 07:16 PM   #23
HacksawMark
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2014 Subaru XV
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpgolf1 View Post
Search the forum as this topic has been beat to death. Youtube is another option for getting an idea of what you're looking for.

That said before you go spending your money on modding a car that you don't have yet, make sure you read how to properly maintain an older BMW. You should be coming here asking how to be a responsible BMW owner and what you should be refreshing, and not about exhaust systems. The fact that you even started this thread tells me you don't have a clue what to expect. If you do things right you should be spending at least a couple thousand, in most cases more, refreshing the worn out parts that are supposed to be on the car before you even start thinking about an exhaust. Read through the stickies at the top of the page and make a checklist including parts costs. Then when you get the car start going thru that list starting with items that are most important (cooling system, engine, electrical) and then moving into items that will make the car handle as it did when new (suspension items: bushings, LCABs, tires, brakes, subframe reinforcment). Then when all that is finished, if you have any money left, you can move on to items like exhaust if you wish. Make sure to be aware of how much these cars will cost to maintain. They are known for being about $3000 right away after purchasing to get things in order, then another couple thousand a year on average. Some years will be $1000 and some will be $3000 or even more.

I can't tell you how many times we see guys like you come here posting a similar thread as you did here, then they get their car and two weeks later they are back whining because they spent all their cash on exhausts and wheels, and now they have a blown engine because their cooling system failed and they didn't see it was getting hot and couldn't get it shut down quick enough. Its nothing to shrug off as these cars are pricey to keep in tip top. Unless having a car that looks sweet and sounds cool is more important to you than driving a car that runs and handles as it should.

There are lots of guys that have an E46, but not all of them are driving "the ultimate driving machine". BMW did such a great job with the E46, so enjoy it for what it is, and don't try to change perfection. Its not a race car, and the guys like myself that the serious BMW enthusiasts have more appreciation for a clean, well maintained E46, and we just shake our heads when some kid pulls up in one of our great cars with some loud exhaust. Its time to make a choice and I hope you take the advice I gave here, it will make your BMW ownership that much more enjoyable.

Well said! A little wordy, but well said!
Old 02-16-2014, 07:30 PM   #24
always-there

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330I
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ngie View Post
I've personally never heard a Magnaflow in person (that I know of). I'm actually really interested in knowing how people think the sound compares to the TSE3 because if it is comparable, I'd rather save the money and buy extra goodies. I'm not a fan of a lot of rasp.. and my laptop doesn't have the best speakers, so youtube isn't working out for me so far. I have looked though.. not gonna lie.
I have a magnaflow exhaust..set up. Sounds deep and I love it. Of course like you mentioned, a vid doesn't do it justice. Sounds alot better in person. This was 1 year ago. Forgot to mention that I had both resonators deleted; I have a magnaflow y-pipe to a magnaflow 14816 muffler. This is what a 330 with this set up sounds like..

Last edited by always-there; 02-16-2014 at 08:06 PM.
always-there is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 07:35 PM   #25
guitarhead429

My Ride: is not an M3
Secondary resonator deletes are pretty quiet IMO. Granted, I don't have a 330, I'm sure a 330 is a different story in regards to sound with and without a resonator.

I replaced my 2nd resonator with a cutout, so for DD I'll have it closed (nice, quiet, with bit more bass at the low end, very little drone) and for canyon runs/autocross I can open the cutout and essentially 'delete' the back muffler. It sounds rude as fvck and it rasps pretty bad, but it's better than vacuum cleaner "whoosh" sounds with the stock system. Also, redline shift crackle and pop It's definitely an affordable route that allows for two different kinds of exhaust notes.

As always, though, if you can wing the cost of a cat-back like a TSE3, definitely go for it.

|Nikon D90|35mm f/1.8|SB-700|
Flickr
guitarhead429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 08:43 PM   #26
Cavi Mike
Banned User

My Ride: 2000 328Ci
Send a message via AIM to Cavi Mike Send a message via MSN to Cavi Mike Send a message via Yahoo to Cavi Mike
What is people's obsession with that Magnaflow exhaust?
Cavi Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 09:10 PM   #27
4ngie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavi Mike View Post
What is people's obsession with that Magnaflow exhaust?
I'm willing to bet that price has a lot to do with it.

I've decided to buy another TSE3 though. It's 100% worth the money.

4ngie likes this.
Old 02-16-2014, 09:12 PM   #28
TallSkinnyMatt

My Ride: E92 M3 ZCP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ngie View Post
I'm willing to bet that price has a lot to do with it.

I've decided to buy another TSE3 though. It's 100% worth the money.
TallSkinnyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 09:23 PM   #29
4ngie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallSkinnyMatt View Post

4ngie likes this.
Old 02-17-2014, 03:00 AM   #30
Stickbuilder

My Ride: Touring, and others
Where's the popcorn? This is going to be real entertaining, just before it becomes really expensive (for him), and really funny. I love it! Modding a car that you don't yet own, and have not a clue as to what it needs to be dependable, but bet your ass it will get wheels and exhaust first.

English
Sarcasm
Profanity
Stickbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 06:43 AM   #31
Patton323I

My Ride: R1100GS E46 E53
Magnaflow. I love mine!

Old 02-18-2014, 07:13 PM   #32
always-there

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330I
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton323I View Post
Magnaflow. I love mine!

Sounds nice! I only paid $400 for my set up.

Last edited by always-there; 02-18-2014 at 07:14 PM.
always-there is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 02:02 AM   #33
Sergzam

My Ride: Snow pckg e46 325i
lol after 4 years I just barely got rims, makes me a little sad when i think about it