E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum

Forced Induction Forum
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2017, 10:33 PM   #81
autospeed_01
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
Posts: 185
My Ride: 2000 328Ci
Try pm'ing vince as well. Maybe you can go outside the group buy (unless you already did pm him). But I'm excited to see the work you've done with the bottom plates welded in!
__________________
My Build Thread
From Salvage to Custom Widebody

DTM Style Angel Eyes (flat bottom)
DTM Style Angel Eyes (flat bottom)


autospeed_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 11:34 AM   #82
cwarel
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: New York City
Posts: 434
My Ride: 330ci coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by autospeed_01 View Post
Try pm'ing vince as well. Maybe you can go outside the group buy (unless you already did pm him). But I'm excited to see the work you've done with the bottom plates welded in!
20170222_100717 20170225_092751 20170228_135023 20170228_135031 20170228_135039 20170228_135055 20170228_143533 20170301_201106 20170301_201114 20170301_201123 20170301_201129 20170301_201139 20170301_201147 20170302_103445 20170302_103456 20170302_103501 20170302_103505 20170302_103525 20170302_111854 20170302_111900 20170302_120012 IMG_20170228_155407 IMG_20170301_200731
cwarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 08:40 AM   #83
cwarel
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: New York City
Posts: 434
My Ride: 330ci coupe
Got all the parts / went to the shop today and they are busy till next week (((( So i guess I gotta wait more

Last edited by cwarel; 04-05-2017 at 11:01 AM.
cwarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 06:33 PM   #84
cwarel
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: New York City
Posts: 434
My Ride: 330ci coupe
So it finally started. In 9 hrs I did all of the hardest work
1) Remove oil pan , drill it , clean it , put it back also took oil pick up and noticed that it had some rtv in it from valve cover so I cleaned it and blew all the stuff out.
2) Installed exhaust manifold
3) Installed Turbo On the manifold
4) Had to relocate wastegate actuator because it wouldnt fit , so I had to cut bracket and weld it , shorten wastegate actuator
5) Installed intercooler had to custom fab the brackets for the intercooler
6) Installed oil pump nut with a wire through it because I was always afraid that my nut would come off because I literary "drive spiritually" everyday if you know what I mean.
What has to be done to complete this build
1) Gotta go to someone who can weld aluminum so they could weld oil drain line because Ive got different angles and Im planning to angle one of the 45 a little more so it would fit perfectly
2) Make a down pipe with an angle that turbo sits it is very easy downpipe to make
3) Finish Oil supply which requires removal of the thermostat so i could screw in the double banjo bolt , unless I find strength within myself and go to the other end of the vanos oil supply line
4)Put Suspension back
5) Run all vacuum hoses for boost control , BOV, and wastegate
6) Route piping to turbo side of the intercooler which isnt that bad
7) Make sure I didnt forget anything
8) Start the car ( pull off the intake so engine gets no boost until I tune it )
9) Find that guy with a 2016 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 R-Spec and dust him EASILY .I raced him last night and I could keep up with him no problem, so next time he's getting violated

Turbo kit parts etc 20170412_090555_1
20170412_105316_1
20170412_121644_1 20170412_123831_1 20170412_123840_1 20170412_140436_1 20170412_184354_1 20170412_143730_1 20170412_153732_1 20170412_154628_1 20170412_154636_1 20170412_162811_1 20170412_162821_1 20170412_162833_1 20170412_165937_1 20170412_175103_1 20170412_184324_1 20170412_184339_1 20170412_184404_1
cwarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 12:15 PM   #85
daemonicus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: WI
Posts: 170
My Ride: batmobile
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwarel View Post
So it finally started. In 9 hrs I did all of the hardest work
1) Remove oil pan , drill it , clean it , put it back also took oil pick up and noticed that it had some rtv in it from valve cover so I cleaned it and blew all the stuff out.
2) Installed exhaust manifold
3) Installed Turbo On the manifold
4) Had to relocate wastegate actuator because it wouldnt fit , so I had to cut bracket and weld it , shorten wastegate actuator
5) Installed intercooler had to custom fab the brackets for the intercooler
6) Installed oil pump nut with a wire through it because I was always afraid that my nut would come off because I literary "drive spiritually" everyday if you know what I mean.
What has to be done to complete this build
1) Gotta go to someone who can weld aluminum so they could weld oil drain line because Ive got different angles and Im planning to angle one of the 45 a little more so it would fit perfectly
2) Make a down pipe with an angle that turbo sits it is very easy downpipe to make
3) Finish Oil supply which requires removal of the thermostat so i could screw in the double banjo bolt , unless I find strength within myself and go to the other end of the vanos oil supply line
4)Put Suspension back
5) Run all vacuum hoses for boost control , BOV, and wastegate
6) Route piping to turbo side of the intercooler which isnt that bad
7) Make sure I didnt forget anything
8) Start the car ( pull off the intake so engine gets no boost until I tune it )
9) Find that guy with a 2016 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 R-Spec and dust him EASILY .I raced him last night and I could keep up with him no problem, so next time he's getting violated
everything sounds good except for the the oil pump nut wire. all your hard work is going to go right out the door when that nut backs off and breaks your wire. if you spend lots of time driving spiritually or spend a lot of time in the upper rpm range, you're driving a ticking time bomb.

the wire trick was used by guys as a temproary bandaid but unfortunately it has proven itself time and time again that it will eventually fail. the problem is that it will usually break in the upper rpms due to harmonics and if you lose oil pressure at 6k, you're going to be buying a new motor and wishing you had bought an upgraded oil pump the first time around.
daemonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 07:39 PM   #86
cwarel
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: New York City
Posts: 434
My Ride: 330ci coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by daemonicus View Post
everything sounds good except for the the oil pump nut wire. all your hard work is going to go right out the door when that nut backs off and breaks your wire. if you spend lots of time driving spiritually or spend a lot of time in the upper rpm range, you're driving a ticking time bomb.

the wire trick was used by guys as a temproary bandaid but unfortunately it has proven itself time and time again that it will eventually fail. the problem is that it will usually break in the upper rpms due to harmonics and if you lose oil pressure at 6k, you're going to be buying a new motor and wishing you had bought an upgraded oil pump the first time around.
I knew that and I was also thinking if I should of welded it , but then I remembered that Ive got 2 engines in the backyard that got less than 40 k miles on them. Also In the summer Im planning to build one of those engines to handle boost better and then only then I will think of buying that Oil pump that supposed to fix all the problems because its aint cheap you know.Meanwhile Im pretty sure it will last me few months before it fails ( drove my car spiritually everyday , always racing people always in 6k rpm and the oem nut was good there. Also when I took it apart the chain that runs the pump felt a little lose , so maybe thats where the harmonic vibrations come in and take that nut out for us , I thought maybe weld chain tensioner somewhere there so it keep tension on the chain so less vibrations.
cwarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 07:50 PM   #87
cwarel
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: New York City
Posts: 434
My Ride: 330ci coupe
Another day , didnt put in that much work today because I had to run around for parts oil , etc
What got done today
1) Made downpipe myself and I had never welded before in my life so lmk how that looks))
2)Finished Oil supply line , Did it legit ))) I was too lazy to take thermostat off so I went to the Oil housing and ran hose there , little did I know my oil pressure sensor was cracking and the plastic on it deteriorated in my hands , so I took one off the engines I got in the back yard
3) Finished Oil drain , went to the machine shop to let them weld that aluminum and they cked up one of the 45 10-AN fitting , so I made them custom make it the whole thing untill it fits on my car ( also the guy that was doing it smelled like alcohol a lot)
4) Motor Mount had to be heavily modified because cold side of the turbo was in the way about half an inch so had to grind off the motor mount.
5) Put the suspension back ( gotta put 2 bolts in the lower control arms)
6) Royal purple 8 qts - 80 bucks , and 2 qts of diff fluid 40 bucks - 120 bucks of oil )))
Things to be done
1) Finish the intercooler piping I need few adapters to make it clear the rack and the k frame
2) Run all the vacuum hoses and mount boost controller
3)Tune the ecu
4)Ive got short shift in the trunk
And thats it , so hopefully tomorrow ill be done with the project and Ill say exactly how many hours it took me without running for parts
20170413_172322_1 20170413_180227_1 20170413_180232_1 20170413_184527_1 20170413_193651_1 20170413_194818_2 20170413_194825_1

Last edited by cwarel; 04-13-2017 at 07:50 PM.
cwarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 07:00 PM   #88
cwarel
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: New York City
Posts: 434
My Ride: 330ci coupe
Thats it the car is mechanically done , now I gotta tune the car ( drove it from the shop to my crib ( 8 blocks) feels like the fuel cuts out when it hits boost
cwarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 02:16 PM   #89
daniel_f.
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Germany
Posts: 2,610
My Ride: 330iC
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwarel View Post
Thats it the car is mechanically done , now I gotta tune the car ( drove it from the shop to my crib ( 8 blocks) feels like the fuel cuts out when it hits boost
Which is to be expected.
daniel_f. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 04:04 PM   #90
xi46
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Colorado
Posts: 131
My Ride: 2002 330xi ZPP/SP/CW
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel_f. View Post
Which is to be expected.

Been following this thread for a while and interested in all the MS43 tuning going on. I'm curious why the ECU would cut fuel when it sees more air than expected. Wouldn't that result in a dangerously lean mixture in the engine?
xi46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 04:24 PM   #91
daniel_f.
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Germany
Posts: 2,610
My Ride: 330iC
Quote:
Originally Posted by xi46 View Post
Been following this thread for a while and interested in all the MS43 tuning going on. I'm curious why the ECU would cut fuel when it sees more air than expected. Wouldn't that result in a dangerously lean mixture in the engine?
Cutting fuel basically means stopping explosions means no lean mixture.
daniel_f. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 04:34 PM   #92
xi46
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Colorado
Posts: 131
My Ride: 2002 330xi ZPP/SP/CW
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel_f. View Post
Cutting fuel basically means stopping explosions means no lean mixture.

Ah that makes perfect sense now that I think about it as cutting fuel entirely. Thanks!


Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics
xi46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 05:01 AM   #93
Anthony78
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: France
Posts: 4
My Ride: 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwarel View Post
Thats it the car is mechanically done , now I gotta tune the car ( drove it from the shop to my crib ( 8 blocks) feels like the fuel cuts out when it hits boost
Oh my god !!!!!!

Awesome work cwarel , I look forward to see final result with ms43 tune

I started my e46 330ci trackday project, leightweight, reinforcement subframe, lsd, coilovers, all polyurethane bushing, big sway bar and I would like to install a turbo kit asap in order to increase power to 350hp


Before :





In Progress :









Big thanks to you and I cross my finger for your tune

Last edited by Anthony78; 04-16-2017 at 05:03 AM.
Anthony78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 01:35 PM   #94
cwarel
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: New York City
Posts: 434
My Ride: 330ci coupe
Ight so I figured why the car cut fuel like a mofo . Its me , im the idiot here and I put the maf facing the wrong way))) . After I flipped it everything was fine and car runs good untill it hits boost and then it leans out so that means I gotta add fuel , but I dont know how much timing I should pull tho because I didnt feel it knock ( the car runs good by itself up to 1 psi , after that it starting to lean out . On 1 psi ive got 12.7 afr which is good , so tomorrow or a little later Ill be road tuning at night , so if anyone in NYC wanna meet up hmu)))
Also I would not recommend installing cx racing BOV, that thing will hurt ur ears.
cwarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 03:41 PM   #95
cwarel
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: New York City
Posts: 434
My Ride: 330ci coupe
Got good news and bad news
Good news that I made a map where I can drive the car and floor it without it knocking and having enough fuel ( tuned at 7 psi)
So I did some more changes and then I decided to do a little launch and this is what happened , a while back I welded my diff and Iwas driving on it for 3 months beating hard on the car and there was nothing wrong , but when it hit boost all the bolts snapped that used to hold the diff , aluminum cover that has a mount too , got ripped out also , lucky me I was 10 blocks away from my house so i got my volvo xc90 and towed it to my house now , i gotta either fish a diff that I have in the back yard which is 2.93 or buy a new one with the same or different ratios , also might think of buying lsd right or stay on open diff till I completely finish tuning the car
cwarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 05:26 PM   #96
332
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Space
Posts: 119
My Ride: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwarel View Post
Got good news and bad news
Good news that I made a map where I can drive the car and floor it without it knocking and having enough fuel ( tuned at 7 psi)
So I did some more changes and then I decided to do a little launch and this is what happened , a while back I welded my diff and Iwas driving on it for 3 months beating hard on the car and there was nothing wrong , but when it hit boost all the bolts snapped that used to hold the diff , aluminum cover that has a mount too , got ripped out also , lucky me I was 10 blocks away from my house so i got my volvo xc90 and towed it to my house now , i gotta either fish a diff that I have in the back yard which is 2.93 or buy a new one with the same or different ratios , also might think of buying lsd right or stay on open diff till I completely finish tuning the car
I have a 3.07 diff, perfect for a turbo car imho. Drop me a pm, super cheap.
332 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 02:28 PM   #97
Anthony78
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: France
Posts: 4
My Ride: 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwarel View Post
Got good news and bad news
Good news that I made a map where I can drive the car and floor it without it knocking and having enough fuel ( tuned at 7 psi)
So I did some more changes and then I decided to do a little launch and this is what happened , a while back I welded my diff and Iwas driving on it for 3 months beating hard on the car and there was nothing wrong , but when it hit boost all the bolts snapped that used to hold the diff , aluminum cover that has a mount too , got ripped out also , lucky me I was 10 blocks away from my house so i got my volvo xc90 and towed it to my house now , i gotta either fish a diff that I have in the back yard which is 2.93 or buy a new one with the same or different ratios , also might think of buying lsd right or stay on open diff till I completely finish tuning the car
Hi Cwarel,

I'm really sorry for your diff I hope that you can fix it without lost money...

About your tune, You have done yourself with tuner pro and xdf files provided by Daniel ? If yes what map you have changed to have a good settings ?

Thanks in advance

Anthony
Anthony78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 11:59 AM   #98
cwarel
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: New York City
Posts: 434
My Ride: 330ci coupe
Good/bad news again
Got diff 3.46 for free
After further investigation I found out that my welded diff is still ok, and what went bad is subframe itself failed , pics later , also drive shaft is f***ed , imma keep on taking it apart more updates tonight!!!!!!!!!!!!>
cwarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 12:28 PM   #99
cwarel
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: New York City
Posts: 434
My Ride: 330ci coupe
More Updates
Got everything install , had to buy new driveshaft , and people at the junk yard screwed up cv join ( which i needed cuz thats what broke on mine) , So i lowballed a little for the price and I got it for a 100 , they wanted to charge me 175 -_-
Got new 3.46 diff in , subframe got reinforced with 1/4 steel plates were welded in 2 spots ( at the rear mount for the diff )
Took it for a drive ( im still on shitty tune ) 2 nd gear on traction lmao ( with traction control enabled it still broke tires lose and my car went sideways a little
Kind of lasy to upload pictures because I just finished
Tomorrow Im gonna install new speaker system in the car ,and once that is done ill finish tuning it ( because there is no room in the car because of all the speakers /subs and wires everywhere
cwarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2016 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use