E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Best Buys

3K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  trive2 
#1 ·
Hey Guys,

In the market for a new car at the moment, been negotiating / looking at a few different options going into the new year.

I wanted to see what peoples experiences have been with purchasing second hand vehicles and if anybody has got really great deals / prices before? :thumbsup:

#4 ·
I was talking in general with all the users on the forum, have they bought great cars for great prices over the years,

Myself im looking for a 2008ish Audi or a facelift 2003 - 2005 Coupe :thumbsup: something with style that wont set me back too much on maintenance :thumbup:

#13 ·
i know with the Diesels, they are designed to consume oil, so you have to top up regularly.

I don't know the logic behind it.

I've alway gotta keep an eye on the oil level of my dad's VW TDi but the oil consumption isn't as bad as what others have experienced. It would also depend on KM and how the car is driven I would think.

#14 ·
My old man has had 2 A4's a 1.8T B6 and a 2ltr B7. They've been great in terms of reliability. The CVT transmission seems to be their Achilles heel though. The B6 went through a tranny in 200,000kms with Audi quoting 8K to fix it. At least 60% of the kilometres were on a highway sitting at 100/110kmh so not a lot of load on the transmission. The current one has 240,000kms on it and is still going strong but I reckon it feels like it's been slipping a bit for the last year or so. Besides an O2 sensor nothing else has gone wrong with it. One of the radiator fans is on it's way out but that's it.

They have been really good on fuel as well.

It just depends how you drive though, as a daily they're fine but a CVT transmission and FWD is nothing to get excited about. Quattros are probably more prone to problems, drink more fuel and are louder.

RS4s are nice though but probably a bit out of the budget..

#15 ·
RS4 are really nice but not looking to blow that much $$$ at the moment, wanting to keep it within budget, the vehicle after this one will be towards the 50K mark if all goes well in 2 years or so, so this car will be for 2 years 40xxx kms on clock and hopefully hold decent value

#17 ·
Your looking at a second hand Audi or BMW but want something that won't cost to much to maintain? You should change "Audi and BMW" to "Toyota or Honda" if you want something that is cheap and easy to maintain yet reliable. Audi's and BMW's can be somewhat reliable but not that cheap to maintain (if you properly maintain a car) but it depends on what you see cheap to maintain being...in this case an inspection 2 would roughly be $1000-1500 depending on what needed to be done/replaced. A scheduled oil service would be around the $400-500 mark unless you can do it yourself. If that seems reasonable to you then carry on your search (consider an Audi S3 maybe as well?) however if you aren't willing to spend maybe $2000-3000 a year on maintenance then you should look for something else.

#18 · (Edited)
The best buy I have made car wise was my Audi B5. It was cheap, mechanically sound, runs on the sniff of an oily rag, and has been so comfortable on 9+ hour drives. If I could of bought a B8 in the situation I was in, I would have.

A scheduled oil service would be around the $400-500 mark unless you can do it yourself.
I've never paid over $200 for an oil service, on either car I own. The dealer though, used to charge me $210.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.