E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Multifunction DIY

27K views 40 replies 27 participants last post by  Jimbow 
#1 ·
Anyone have a permanent host for one file that is about 470KB big? I want to help people out in the community with the DIY for the multifunction retrofit. I get about 6 or 7 emails monthly for this. I am tired of having to follow up with emails and people that ask me to email them the instructions and then the email comes back to me. So if this could be hosted on the board that would be so much easier.

#32 ·
So, finally got my ass over to BMW and had this installed.

And now I have cruise control!!

My car (99 323i) was manufactured in 09/08, so it uses retrofit kit # 65710016106. This consists of:

01290016107 - Installation Instuctions
01290017969 - Stick-0n Label
32346753943 - Sport Streering Wheel w/multi function buttons
61120016012 - Retrofit cable set, speed control
61131367599 - (6) cable straps

This whole kit is $784.88 Cdn. from BMW parts department.

I already had the instructions and steering wheel (and airbag - 32341095767). Figured I didn't need the label and straps, so I told BMW to order the cable. It was $50.60.

The instructions say the install should take 1 hours. BMW quoted me 4.5 hours, but ended up doing it in 2.5 hours.
They had never done one of these before, and had their doubts that it would work, BUT IT DID.
The radio buttons on the steering wheel don't work, but I have and aftermarket unit, so I didn't expect them to work anyway...

So yes, this can be done!

#34 · (Edited)
For the "drive by wire" cars, the panel and cable set is all the is required.

I believe you have an E46 with a throttle cable. That makes things much more complicated. BMW doesn't sell a retrofit kit for that engine and I haven't heard of anyone successfully adding a factory BMW cruise control.

This is what realoem says "Cannot be retrofitted, since vehicle is not equipped with wiring and various control units necessary."

At a minimum you will need the control unit and the cable actuator. There may be some other hardware needed such as a switch for the clutch pedal. Figuring out all the wiring is another story.

*Edit*:
I found the diagram with all the parts of the cruise. At least I think this is for your car:
http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/E...stance_systems_cruise_control/cruise_control/

... and this is the picture of the retrofit ...
http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/E...cruise_control/installing_set_cruise_control/

The "empty box".

#39 ·
So i have an 01 325 where i just replaced the steering wheel due to torn leather. came across a great deal for one with MFL buttons in perfect condition for $30, so I installed it. So from the posts i read, i can not perform the MFL retrofit because my vehicle is drive by wire. but can i retrofit the radio butttons and not the cruise control? or can i still do the cruise control as well?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.