E46 Fanatics Forum banner

My search for more NA power (Dyno time)

272K views 1K replies 109 participants last post by  radichev 
#1 ·
Hey Guys,

Just wanted to start this thread to document where I'm going with my car. I'm a big fan of dyno results versus butt-dyno feeling. I like to make sure I get some bang out of my buck. Hopefully this thread will give people some reference when they are looking for NA mods.

If you have any good solid before/after dynos (corrected numbers) feel free to post them with an explanation. I'll start off by posting what I have so far....

#2 ·
This dyno shows my before and after results with my cams. Mods on the "before" dyno are a Streamline drop-in filer, EvoSport pulleys, Shark Injector, UUC flywheel, Technik Gen3 Headers, Magnaflow full catback, LTW5 wheels.

The only variable was a set of Schrick 264/248 cams.

#3 ·
Mid February, I'll be borrowing a Conforti intake to see what sort of difference. The dyno above doesn't show my A/F, but I'll make sure it's posted on the next dyno. After that, I'll be installing a bored throttle-body. We'll see what we can squeeze out of her without FI or extreme measures :)

#5 ·
I followed your install thread and found that this to be quite amazing. My car, with intake, pullies and exhaust probably touches 200whp - your car has a whopping 30 more whp! Given the price of ZHP cams (600) and ebay headers (100) it would theoretically cost someone ~$700 in parts to add a solid 20whp to their M54B30 - talk about about budget modding!

so have you tried some pulls against anyone yet? e36 M3's make about 220 to the wheels...

I'll make an uneducated guess and say your car can make another 8whp with a proper tune.

#10 · (Edited)
Small bump.

Hit the dyno yesterday with my "custom" intake. While I used the same dyno, the main variable was that it was about 50 degrees hotter. Intake temps on my friend's 350z were over 100. The dyno operator is supposed to email me the files tomorrow so I can do an overlay from my last.

With the hotter temps, it still showed a gain of 1hp and 5tq - 231hp/220tq (if I remember correctly, forgot my printout).

Just FYI, my buddy's 2005 350Z with test pipes, TurboXS exhaust, AFE filter, and plenum spacer made 247/235.

I wanted to get another "baseline" in the warm weather for a couple things I'll be adding in the next month. Bored throttle body and 3 inch single exhaust, possibly a tune.

#13 ·
That is some good Numbers :D I can't wait for out TB to come back :D I need to go back for another dyno as well...

-TrippinBimmer

#16 ·
Just a custom filter setup. If I had spent that kind of money and made that small of a gain, I'd be quite upset.

Basically, I gutted my airbox, used a 3.5 to 4 inch silicone elbow to a 4 inch velocity stack (6 inch on the outside) and stuck on a huge cone filter. I keep my factory airbox and get more/smoother flow. I'm guessing that went a long way towards the added torque.

#19 ·
The velocity stack probably helped the MAF read the added airflow better, but I think that design is questionable. I would tell you to consider a tube that extends into the bumper, and have a bypass valve (made by AEM) to prevent hydrolock. I will say that when I had my custom cold air intake set up (long tube type) I felt a boost in torque as well. They say it's due to the resonance of the tube and intake pulse, and other psychics that are above my pay grade. Great job though, I respect your methods and the information that you provide to the community.

#20 ·
Thanks, man. I have a tube running from the brake duct to the box.

I really like having the box in place. I may even wrap it to see how it helps my intake temps:

http://store.bimmerworld.com/gold-foil-protective-film-p841.aspx

If I ever go with an intake that runs into the front bumper, I'd like to go with the Pipercross (like UUC used to sell).

If anyone wants to send me a Dinan or Cosmos, I'd be happy to bolt it up and go get it tested against mine.

Brady

#21 ·
I have a custom one I built as a prototype long before I knew there was a long to option available, it's not mandrel bent, and it is made to fit my Z. If I can dig it up, I'll send it your way for sure (it might be a bit dusty though) I'd recommend trying to run that filter and velocity stack on it, if possible. Interested still?

#28 ·
Here's my dyno.

File names are confusing, sorry. Blue is back in January. Conditions were 72 degrees, green was last weekend with 99 degrees.

You can see that I picked up a little bit everywhere. REALLY need to get some tuning done to knock out that big dip at 4200.

Only changes were the intake that I pictured above and an oil change. I also reset my throttle adaptations, but I do that every time I dyno.

Attachments

#32 ·
It's a BLOX stack and filter. I think I got the stack and filter on Ebay. Bought the 3.5 to 4 inch elbow at siliconeintakes.com. I'll probably eventually buy a different filter (slightly shorter), but it was cheap and I just wanted to make sure it would work. AFE makes one that's slightly smaller, but it's fairly expensive.

Check out Vibrant for parts, too. They make a nice aluminum stack.

#45 ·
you may have covered this before but are you running shark or aa? i'm sorry if you have mentioned it :) I'm going to dyno my car once i get the awd system off i might even do a test run with the transfer case and no front drive shafts. to see the difference if there is any either way good numbers!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.