E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-03-2014, 06:34 PM   #21
one_off

My Ride: 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdstrickland View Post
Is your pump dead, or are you just trying to be proactive and replace a $150 part before it goes south on its own?
Pump Still Working, But Seems It's About Too Fail Anytime Now.
Car Is Idling Hard, Misfiring, Loss Of Power And Ignition Has A Lag.
one_off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 06:36 PM   #22
Knight

My Ride: '05 330Ci | '01 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidjake View Post
I ripped out all of that crap from the back of the car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by peytonracer4 View Post
You're crazy. I just spend a few hundred bucks to put insulation in my subaru. I couldn't imagine ripping it out.
It was brittle and literally crumbling so I ripped it out and replaced it with Dynamat Extreme.
Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 06:36 PM   #23
one_off

Quote:
Originally Posted by eneka View Post
I see you're in the SGV, I am too, if you're still under warranty, I'd highly highly recommend Crevier BMW, it is quite far but they are way better and much more knowledgeable about the warranty than Assael/Monrovia and New Century BMW.
Would You Happen To Know Where I Can Find Documents Pertaining To The SULEV Warranty ?

Somehow They Are Hard To Find Online.
Old 10-03-2014, 06:41 PM   #24
one_off

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityjohn View Post
This is a different year car but basically the location is the same. Just take out the seat bottom and remove the metal covers.

The Insulation Has Been Pulled Back To Give View Of The Black Cover Shown, Once The Black Cover Has Been Removed All I See Is A Connection That Inserts To A Metal.

It's Been Confirmed I Have An M56 Or SULEV Model Which Are Based On California Emissions Regulations.
Which Means It Has A Different Fuel Delivery System Than The E46.
Old 10-03-2014, 06:45 PM   #25
one_off

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityjohn View Post
Totally forgot about this possibility. Makes sense.

Another way to check:
Easy Indicator.
I Evidently Have The SULEV Model.

Thanks.
Old 10-03-2014, 06:54 PM   #26
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
I'd need more diagnostics before I jumped to the conclusion that the fuel pump was the problem. Even if it was a mere mortal fuel pump, not the SULEV type, it runs almost $200 and cannot be returned if you take it out of the box.

I don't know what the trouble is, but I seriously doubt that the pump is it.
jdstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 08:19 PM   #27
LeMansteve

My Ride: '04 330i 6mt ZSP ZPP
Please Stop Using A Capital Letter For Each Word
Old 10-04-2014, 02:50 AM   #28
jfoj
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 330CiC, M5, X5, E93
Quote:
Originally Posted by one_off View Post
Would You Happen To Know Where I Can Find Documents Pertaining To The SULEV Warranty ?

Somehow They Are Hard To Find Online.
Did you read Post #5? I think you will find the answers/clues in that post.

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temp, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose temp switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 02:00 PM   #29
Phrygian

My Ride: 2000 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by peytonracer4 View Post
You're crazy. I just spend a few hundred bucks to put insulation in my subaru. I couldn't imagine ripping it out.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
It stinks when it starts to deteriorate. It's the source of that Crayola smell.

Old 10-04-2014, 10:54 PM   #30
AshtonMarie81

My Ride: 03 325ci
Well I can say my group of friends and I are working on making a used M3 tank with new pumps to work with the m56 fuel system. Since we know one of these days it's going to fail one day, we do believe some custom made adapter fittings to hook up to the sulev fuel system... I wish u luck on your cars repair, I know if your out of warranty your out of luck and it's about 7k to fix a 6k car. My friends and I will figure this out as we have time yet. I have 20k miles left till my emissions warranty runs out...
AshtonMarie81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 05:41 AM   #31
jfoj
OEM ///Member

As I have previously mentioned on other threads about the SULEV, not sure I would want the liability of swapping fuel tanks. Although it can be done with pretty much OE parts, this is a significant fuel system modification. If anyone gets hurt or injured after the swap either while you own the car or if someone else owns the car, it could expose those that perform the modification to some form if liability.

This is an issue that should be considered.

Even used SULEV tanks are going for around $1000-$1500 as I recall?

One last option, albeit not a great option, would be to consider an external fuel pump mounted outside the tank. Again a modification, not sure if the fuel lines can support this and I do not know of many 50 PSI external fuel pump, most are 45 PSI. Not sure if the SULEV has the same or more pressure than a standard engine.

All things to considered.

Personally I would never own a SULEV/PZEV car from any manufacturer because of issues like this, special parts availability and resale problems. Same thing for a Tesla, who know if the company will be around to support the car in 10 years, what about parts, service and resale value. Might lease something like this, but would never own strange, limited vehicles.

So much for tree hugging and saving the environment, not with my wallet.

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temp, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

Old 10-05-2014, 06:31 AM   #32
AshtonMarie81

There's no law and swapping fuel system you just can't remove any emissions parts under federal law... BMW didn't have to design the gas tank in this fashion. Good idea at the time, but not so great for the future.... in my eyes like my full reason for owning a sulev model, is that soon no body is going to want these cars and the price will drop, there's your perfect project car, if the body is in perfect condition, rip the entire sulev junk out, and build something exotic. Like sticking a S62 if you want to stay all BMW or go with LS2 swap. I'm not a fan of GM but what ever, but for those who can't afford to buy a newer car or swap out complete drive trains there is no law saying you can't replace the sealed gas tank, just you can't mess with the engine emissions that came with that car... gas tank is not fully disclosed as being part of the emissions. But u must use any standard type fuel tank system of that model year and be of full working order...

Old 10-05-2014, 09:18 AM   #33
jfoj
OEM ///Member

You obviously do not understand my point.

Legal liability if someone gets hurt due to fire in an accident, not worried about Emission legalities.

As I mentioned, even if you use a similar OE tank from different model, such a major modification could have issues if not performed properly.

I am not saying the tank cannot be changed, as it has been done before, I am saying anyone contemplating this level of change that is a pretty important safety related part should think about all the ramifications.

Ramifications while you own the car and beyond.

Do what you want, just understand this is not a risk free situation.

Old 10-05-2014, 09:53 AM   #34
Dave1027

My Ride: '06 IR zhp coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrygian View Post
It stinks when it starts to deteriorate. It's the source of that Crayola smell.
True but isn't it all over the car and not just under the back seat?
Dave1027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 10:15 AM   #35
AshtonMarie81

O YES THIS kind of swap isn't for someone who doesn't know how to make proper fittings, don't just hack into it can use hose clamps and say it's safe. Proper safety measures must be addressed

Old 10-05-2014, 10:19 AM   #36
AshtonMarie81

You can tap into m56 fuel system with out replacing everything from the rear forward, but it's not a couple hr swap, this is why we are researching into everything from the fittings used to how we are going to make the ecm think it's a sealed setup. So no codes get tripped... me and my group of friends are working out the how to before we dig into it,

Old 10-05-2014, 02:17 PM   #37
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
I think that the car might be flagged for all time as an SULEV -- which means it is an ultra low emissions vehicle -- and messing with a major part of what makes it so is a problem for people that live in states where they take smog stuff seriously, like California.

Before you set about ripping out the evaporative emissions control system -- aka, gas tank and associated plumbing -- you might want to look up the SULEV rules. Just a quick check finds that SULEV cars got some form of tax credit, and have a 150,000 mile warranty to produce zero evaporative emissions. Me thinks there will be a penalty imposed on messing with stuff that got a credit once upon a time. SULEV is not a BMW standard and is not something that BMW drempt up to foist onto an unsuspecting public. It is a federal clean air program.
jdstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 09:08 PM   #38
AshtonMarie81

For me doesn't matter. The entire drive train will be replaced and upgraded to a s62 and 6spd. Once my engine is finished. The federal law is that if it came on the car from factory and is still on the car it must be in working order, the law even is you can't put an engine with less emissions in your year. Meaning can't run a 98 m52 in place of a 2003 m56 but u can use a 2000 to 2006 m54 with all proper emissions for that engine in that year.... I wouldn't do anything that's illegal and loose my dot inspection license..... but u can not remove the system till after the warranty period because let's say u swapped tanks. And the secondary air pump goes south. Bmw has the right to refuse repairs and you will fail the emissions standards in the 15 yrs or 150k range could get fines

Tags
fuel, fuel pump