E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-28-2015, 08:49 PM   #1
Oz Striker

My Ride: '00 330Ci, '07 350Z
CCV Modification - NOT Delete!!!

I'm in the process of perhaps installing an after market oil separator. I say perhaps as I only installed an OEM one about 15k miles ago. But I don't want that oil vapour crap going back into my intake tract so for now I simply did the following:

I removed the oil vapour distribution piece marked in purple (ignore the the other hoses and wiring its part of the LPG/Autogas system)

Run an appropriate hose from the top of the oil separator down past the MAF to the under body of the car.

Cap off the smaller outlet, a tyre valve cap fits perfectly:

Tyre valve caps with some self adhesive tape around them are also perfect for plugging up the 6 inlet holes. I also placed a rubber washer under the cap to make a good seal

I've not had any lean codes, and no detrimental affects, if anything i thought the car was a little perkier at lower rpms the 1st time i drove it, but after that I've since normalised to it and cant say I notice it now.

I know there was some mention of the crankcase requiring negative pressure. Currently at least when the car is moving there will be a drafting affect (no undertray at the moment), BUT i also just removed the secondary air pump and valve and it got me thinking....

You could run a hose from the smaller outlet from the oil separator round to the small inlet of the exhaust valve... not sure if that would provide the correct level of pressure required though

My YouTube Channel incl Muffler delete vids: http://www.youtube.com/user/OzStryke...view_as=public

My blog on E46 DIYs & Mods http://lifewithabmw.blogspot.com/

Last edited by Oz Striker; 12-28-2015 at 08:56 PM.
Oz Striker is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-28-2015, 11:50 PM   #2
miller09

My Ride: 01 325xi
Should a filter or check valve be added to the hose running under the car to keep debris out? Just a thought. Interesting idea though
miller09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 02:37 PM   #3
Oz Striker

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller09 View Post
Should a filter or check valve be added to the hose running under the car to keep debris out? Just a thought. Interesting idea though
Yes good idea, a small gauze filter, or gauze material on the end of the pipe would be worthwhile.

My YouTube Channel incl Muffler delete vids: http://www.youtube.com/user/OzStryke...view_as=public

Last edited by Oz Striker; 02-18-2016 at 02:37 PM.
Old 02-18-2016, 04:15 PM   #4
Oz Striker

So not long after doing this mod, the car was parked up for about a month as i was doing various bits and pieces on it (incl front brake pipes). Upon putting everything back together, I took it for a short ride and everything seemed fine. The following day I was out on a longer drive and after 30 miles the oil warning light came on, I pulled over, and saw oil dripping from underneath, and it required 3 litres to top up! I nursed the car home, buying more oil on my way back, with it needing another 4 litres after stopping a few times to top up.

I was quite confused as to what could cause such a drastic oil leak. The drain plug was good. The leak was coming from the left side of the car, initially I thought it was the oil filter gasket, knowing it had small leak..... but it just seemed too much The car currently has done 135k miles, valve cover gasket and oil filter gasket are due for changing.

Heres a pics of the area behind the oil filter housing and then a pic of the oil pan which is coated in oil:

I cleaned up both areas and then with the airbox removed, started up the car and waited..... eventually the leak was found at the O ring at the base of the oil dipstick. The video shows it perfectly, esp at 52 secs onwards:

Now what I'm trying to figure out is, if doing this modification is what resulted in the oil leaking past the O-ring? I'm trying to figure out pressures and stuff! Or was it just coincidence? The CCV system was overhauled with replacement of the O-ring around 15k miles and 3 yrs ago.

By removing the oil distribution piece, have I reduced the "pull" of oil vapour from the crankcase, there by, increased the pressure in the crankcase, which is what has resulted in a leak springing at the O-ring?

I don't think I knocked or pulled on the oil dipstick guide tube whilst doing all my other jobs, as it is bolted down and would require considerable force to pull up.

So first thing I'll do is, undo this mod, reinstall the oil distribution piece first and see if the leak from the O-ring decreases. then take it from there.

Last edited by Oz Striker; 02-18-2016 at 04:20 PM.

Tags
ccv, crankcase vent valve, delete, e46, oil separator