E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2016, 06:09 PM   #1
Kye7

My Ride: BMW 2003 330xi
Fuel leak under car, possibilities?

Hey guys. 2003 330xi here. 120k miles.
I replaced the fuel FILTER about a year ago, no problems.

For the past month or so, when I turn the car on in the morning, I can smell gas. Inside, outside, and around the car. Seems the level of fuel (full/empty tank) does not matter.
I changed my Fuel injector O-Rings as I thought they could be leaking. This was not the problem.

I suspect either my fuel filter hose clamps are becoming lose, and leaking, or my fuel PUMP is going bad, or the gasket that hold it is going bad. I noticed a large pool of gas this morning as I left my driveway.

I wanted to know if anyone else had this problem, and if they knew the remedy. I want to start with the easiest solution before getting more involved.

Pictures here: This was this morning, and I had started the car for about 3 minutes. Gas smell was very much present. This is in the middle of the car undercarriage, around the skid plate.

EDIT - SOLUTION!
The car was leaking gas because the hose clamps (that were replaced upon replacement of fuel filter) to the fuel filter were not tight enough.
This was remidied by removing the undercarriage cover, and fuel filter cover, and tightening all hose clamps by the fuel filter.
It appeared to be leaking on the other side of the car, because fuel was flowing onto the undercarriage cover, and dripping away from the filter.
The clamps were tightened, the engine was ran for 5 minutes to ensure no leaking fuel was present.
Solved!
TIME: 1 Hour
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0088.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	638516   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0089.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	638517  

Last edited by Kye7; 08-12-2016 at 03:05 PM. Reason: Fixed!
Kye7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-12-2016, 07:53 AM   #2
markusmarkus

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
There's no fuel line on the passenger side of the car!!! How could that be gasoline? Open the hood and find the source (scratches head).
markusmarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 08:59 AM   #3
Solidjake
Zero. Leaks.

My Ride: '02 330i 6MT
Interesting, and I agree with Markus, no fuel on the passenger side. Did you touch the liquid to check what it was?
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 09:39 AM   #4
ms9876543

My Ride: 325i M Sport Touring
If the wheel in the picture is the front passenger, then the picture appears to be taken from the driver side.

I'd figure its the short hoses that attach the fuel filter to the hard lines. 'Normal' rubber would dissolve in about a year if your fuel has a high ethanol content, you really need to use SAEJ30R9 hose for those sections.

Either way, it should be simple to spot, two lines run from the tank to the filter and one hose goes from the filter to the (returnless) fuel rail. The upper part of the Filter to Rail hose is flexible, but I'd consider that a lot less likely to leak than the fittings at the filter.
ms9876543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 10:15 AM   #5
moiz21

My Ride: 1999 323i 5-SPD
Yup, as others have said, it's most likely the hoses connecting your filter to the hard lines. I had the exact same issue after I changed my filter. I didn't tighten down the clamps enough and it would leak gas when running. Went back under there and gave them another tightening, and all fixed. Make sure you are using new clamps and not reusing the old ones. And like the others have said, make sure that you are using the correct type of hose.

MODS
P46 Projectors + FX-R Retrofit + 6k D2S / 60 LED AE's / Smoked LED Tails / Smoked Turn and Side Markers / BSW 10" Sub /ZHP Knob / Matte Black Grills / DICE / Parrot + Connects2 / OEM Alternative Alarm Mod / Clutch Switch Delay Mod / M3 Rep Front Bumper / 3M Black CF Di-Noc Wrap / K&N Intake / 35% Tint All Around / Black Short Eurotray / 545i Shifter
moiz21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 01:09 PM   #6
Silverdogz

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by ms9876543 View Post
If the wheel in the picture is the front passenger, then the picture appears to be taken from the driver side.

I'd figure its the short hoses that attach the fuel filter to the hard lines. 'Normal' rubber would dissolve in about a year if your fuel has a high ethanol content, you really need to use SAEJ30R9 hose for those sections.

Either way, it should be simple to spot, two lines run from the tank to the filter and one hose goes from the filter to the (returnless) fuel rail. The upper part of the Filter to Rail hose is flexible, but I'd consider that a lot less likely to leak than the fittings at the filter.
Eh, it's often difficult to find SAEJ30R9. I used Gates MTP fuel hose which is rated for gasoline/ethanol and for 225PSI. It is rated as SAE J3OR14T2. Anyway the part number is 27340 at O'Reilly auto parts and it'll work for the fuel filter hose.
Silverdogz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 02:07 PM   #7
Radnor

My Ride: 325Ci
Looks like a fuel leak to me, the fuel system is the only system that could develop that kind of pressure in that location. Don't drive it.
Radnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 03:02 PM   #8
Kye7

Solution is in Original post, thanks for the comments guys!

I figure someone else will have this problem in the future, figured I'd document it. It was very easy to do.
Old 08-12-2016, 03:11 PM   #9
Radnor

My Ride: 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kye7 View Post
Solution is in Original post, thanks for the comments guys!

I figure someone else will have this problem in the future, figured I'd document it. It was very easy to do.
Big congratulations on solving it!
Radnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 04:09 PM   #10
OnTheFence

My Ride: 2001 330i (and 530i)
Wow, I always figured the hoses are so snug that it would never leak, even without hose clamps at all.
Did you notice the hose was slightly removed?
OnTheFence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 01:33 AM   #11
Kye7

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheFence View Post
Wow, I always figured the hoses are so snug that it would never leak, even without hose clamps at all.
Did you notice the hose was slightly removed?
Hoses not moved at all.
When I replaced the filter a year ago, I broke off the old brittle hoses, and replaced it with new vacuum hose or something of the like. I got 6 small hose clamps and used those. I was able to give them 1-3 turns, which I thought was quite a bit.
I hope I have made them snug enough to last longer.
Old 08-13-2016, 08:12 AM   #12
OnTheFence

Wait, did you use "fuel hose" or "fuel injection hose"
There is a difference. The latter is a high pressure hose that is not as spongy.
Old 08-27-2016, 05:53 AM   #13
OnTheFence

Update?

Tags
fuel, fuel leak, gas, hose