***Official Seafoam Thread*** - Page 52 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

View Poll Results: Have you ever used Seafoam?
Yes, I highly recommend it. 58 37.91%
Yes, But I dont recommend it. 8 5.23%
No, But I have thought about it. 60 39.22%
No, I would never do it. 10 6.54%
No, I have mixed feelings about it. 18 11.76%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 04-28-2014, 12:11 AM   #1021
ihsnshaik

My Ride: bmw e90
I have a 2004 BMW 325xi with 150k.

Car stalls on cold start sometimes in the morning but most of the idle very hard idle or a slight bad idle.

I ended up finding a bad Secondary Air Pump hose and replaced that but I seafoamed the car with the hose.

At startup at random days the car smokes still which pisses me off but when I drive it its normal doesnt smoke.

All these are on a cold start and is top notch 5 minutes after till the whole day. Even at warm start ups its still normal.

What the hell is going on over here im frustrated. Don't tell me ICV/ throttle body MAf etc.

My next guess is Vanos seals but not 100 percent sure if this would solve it.

Biggest concern is why is my car still smoking with the seafoam after 150miles after at cold or warm start up.
Old 04-28-2014, 09:04 AM   #1022
glhx

My Ride: 2002 330ci
Look at jfoj sig for cold weather misfires. You answer is there more than likely.

Not to state the obvious....but sea foam is a heavy cleaner and the combustion chamber of the car gets very hot....I want to say 800. Heating up that liquid cleaner can get hot enough to dislodge build up. It was a worry of mine when I did mine at 110k. You motor wears over time with this sludge build up and it becomes part of the sealing of the piston rings. We could also call it carbon build up. Take the build up away and the rings are no longer tight against the cylinder wall at the oil rings. This lets oil from the crank case through into the combustion chamber and you car now burns oil. They recommend you not use sea foam after 100,000 because of this kind of stuff.

Also the heavy carbon deposits can be hard and brittle. The cleaner breaks a large chunk off and scores the cylinder wall. This allows oil to get in and be burned.

Check the plugs to see traces of burned oil.....

Did any of this happen to your car......I have no idea, but it can happen as I said above. I went ahead and did mine anyway and it burned through in minutes....then it was gone.

The factor of only doing it during cold start up points to wearing rings. At cold the engine is not expanded. At warm the rings expand and press up against the cylinder wall sealing them better.

Hard start is probably a vacuum leak. Major culprit on these cars is the ccv. Mine was gone at 120k. The oil ccv system on our cars is vacuum sealed for some stupid reason. The hoses are plastic, get brittle, and there are several of them and the valve itself. Major cause of a vacuum leak. Also when car isn't maintained it leads to other things going wrong.....like my ccv went bad and took out the valve cover....or heat did....I don't know, but it's cracked hairline.
It also took out the oil pan gasket. The pressure forced a hole in it. Hardest and worst change out I've ever done, and I've done a lot.

The ccv blows valve cover gaskets all the time. When it goes bad it lets crank case pressure go wherever It can because it can't go back to the intake......they are usually clogged. The pressure has no place to go except the weakest link out of the motor......the valve cover gasket, the oil pan gasket etc........the cylinder walls. The bad ccv could be pushing oil through the rings. If your at 150k and haven't replaced it. Go and change it now, it's bad for sure.

What diagnostics do you have? InpA, torque pro?
What are your fuel trims at? Fuel trims will tell you when your running lean or rich usually. If at idle they are 15 to 20% on the + side at idle.....you have a huge vacuum leak. They are almost if not the best diagnostic number you can have and will tell you if you have a problem long before any check engine lights come on. Of my fuel trims get over +5 I'm looking at replacing parts. Most non or new mechanics have never even hear of them....all of this is speculation.....but look at jfoj sig

Last edited by glhx; 04-28-2014 at 09:10 AM.
glhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 06:22 PM   #1023
ihsnshaik

I did look at his and read them and can't point it out to anything. No check engine no abnormalities in the trim. Drives amazing and its just on startup. I NEVER HAD one issue with smoke prior to seafoam. Its not blue its the same white cloud of seafoam. I didn't put it in my oil so that can be ruled out the seals. The secondary air system just ports it out through the exhaust thats what I read. The car actually drives better with the seafoam but still burning off. I will chime back in after it resolves if not im going to have to take it to an INDY since it's just getting really annoying.

I know its seafoam burning out but why after a few hundred miles. It like revs low and a **** load of smoke comes out and I rev it and pours out then dissipates. I turn it off and then on and it pours out again.

If it was oil burning I would understand I just got an oil change and its exactly at where it was on the dipstick. Seafoam was just in the secondary air pump none in the gas tank or crankcase. I was trying to help out an idle situation on a cold start and yeah pretty much fixed it a bit but a smoke show with it.
Old 04-28-2014, 06:24 PM   #1024
ihsnshaik

BTW its cold and warm starts the smoke. Sometimes at an idle a a stop sign and on acceleration it would puff and then stop never at WOT. I literally beat on it for 10 minutes and it drove so good I thought it was fixed. Turned it off and on and a smoke show again. I might just have an INDY look at it if it doesn't resolve after 500 miles. I think thats plenty of starts to clear out the system.
Old 04-28-2014, 07:05 PM   #1025
Encryption76

My Ride: 2000 328i
Send a message via MSN to Encryption76
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADA View Post
try BG products or you can even buy the "BMW fuel additives."
Used a BG oil additive my last oil change and it made a big difference with the lifter tap. Plan on using another can next oil change.
Encryption76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 07:18 PM   #1026
Rob43

My Ride: 03 331Ci 5spd R1200R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Encryption76 View Post
Used a BG oil additive my last oil change and it made a big difference with the lifter tap. Plan on using another can next oil change.

THIS.

German car dealers DON'T use seafoam, they mostly use BG Produts.

Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 SCCA
(DynoDynamics https:vimeo.com/8486878 Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

I BUILD SUSPENSIONS (Consult) FROM MILD TO WILD FOR RWD & Xi E46's
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
I Know How To Fix The Rear "Bouncing" Problem On Your Cheap Coilovers Like: Jom RL FK SE & RK.

Last edited by Rob43; 04-28-2014 at 07:18 PM.
Rob43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 07:35 PM   #1027
NyC35AV

My Ride: 99' 323i ZSP/S52 E34
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihsnshaik View Post
I have a 2004 BMW 325xi with 150k.

Car stalls on cold start sometimes in the morning but most of the idle very hard idle or a slight bad idle.

I ended up finding a bad Secondary Air Pump hose and replaced that but I seafoamed the car with the hose.

At startup at random days the car smokes still which pisses me off but when I drive it its normal doesnt smoke.

All these are on a cold start and is top notch 5 minutes after till the whole day. Even at warm start ups its still normal.

What the hell is going on over here im frustrated. Don't tell me ICV/ throttle body MAf etc.

My next guess is Vanos seals but not 100 percent sure if this would solve it.

Biggest concern is why is my car still smoking with the seafoam after 150miles after at cold or warm start up.
I didn't see a mention of the ccv. When was the last time you changed that out?

Edit: sorry didn't see it was mentioned already.

Last edited by NyC35AV; 04-28-2014 at 07:40 PM.
NyC35AV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 08:10 PM   #1028
MadLow

My Ride: 2004 330CI
for me when I used seafoam through my SAP hose, it cured my cold start shaking/rumble...now its butter smooth
MadLow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 09:42 PM   #1029
ihsnshaik

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyC35AV View Post
I didn't see a mention of the ccv. When was the last time you changed that out?

Edit: sorry didn't see it was mentioned already.
It was done about 15k miles ago. Maf was replaced as well.
Old 09-16-2016, 07:21 AM   #1030
Archbid

My Ride: 2003 330cic
Sorry toresurrect an old thread, but our cars are all older and higher mileage now so I wanted to revisit the srafoam question.

Is it safe on a 150k engine? I am burning 1l oil per 1,000 miles, and I thought I would give it a shot
Archbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 12:11 AM   #1031
JohnnyFaire

My Ride: 2003 330i automatic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archbid View Post
Sorry toresurrect an old thread, but our cars are all older and higher mileage now so I wanted to revisit the srafoam question.

Is it safe on a 150k engine? I am burning 1l oil per 1,000 miles, and I thought I would give it a shot
Don't think it'll help with burning oil. First, check/replace/delete your ccv. If already checked out that everything there is perfect, time to do a compression test. YouTube for diy. If it's all within spec, then your oil burning is not too serious where seafoam wouldn't hurt the problem. IMO

Sent from my XT1563 using E46Fanatics mobile app
JohnnyFaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 12:27 AM   #1032
JohnnyFaire

My Ride: 2003 330i automatic
Quote:
Originally Posted by glhx View Post
Look at jfoj sig for cold weather misfires. You answer is there more than likely.

Not to state the obvious....but sea foam is a heavy cleaner and the combustion chamber of the car gets very hot....I want to say 800. Heating up that liquid cleaner can get hot enough to dislodge build up. It was a worry of mine when I did mine at 110k. You motor wears over time with this sludge build up and it becomes part of the sealing of the piston rings. We could also call it carbon build up. Take the build up away and the rings are no longer tight against the cylinder wall at the oil rings. This lets oil from the crank case through into the combustion chamber and you car now burns oil. They recommend you not use sea foam after 100,000 because of this kind of stuff.

Also the heavy carbon deposits can be hard and brittle. The cleaner breaks a large chunk off and scores the cylinder wall. This allows oil to get in and be burned.

Check the plugs to see traces of burned oil.....

Did any of this happen to your car......I have no idea, but it can happen as I said above. I went ahead and did mine anyway and it burned through in minutes....then it was gone.

The factor of only doing it during cold start up points to wearing rings. At cold the engine is not expanded. At warm the rings expand and press up against the cylinder wall sealing them better.

Hard start is probably a vacuum leak. Major culprit on these cars is the ccv. Mine was gone at 120k. The oil ccv system on our cars is vacuum sealed for some stupid reason. The hoses are plastic, get brittle, and there are several of them and the valve itself. Major cause of a vacuum leak. Also when car isn't maintained it leads to other things going wrong.....like my ccv went bad and took out the valve cover....or heat did....I don't know, but it's cracked hairline.
It also took out the oil pan gasket. The pressure forced a hole in it. Hardest and worst change out I've ever done, and I've done a lot.

The ccv blows valve cover gaskets all the time. When it goes bad it lets crank case pressure go wherever It can because it can't go back to the intake......they are usually clogged. The pressure has no place to go except the weakest link out of the motor......the valve cover gasket, the oil pan gasket etc........the cylinder walls. The bad ccv could be pushing oil through the rings. If your at 150k and haven't replaced it. Go and change it now, it's bad for sure.

What diagnostics do you have? InpA, torque pro?
What are your fuel trims at? Fuel trims will tell you when your running lean or rich usually. If at idle they are 15 to 20% on the + side at idle.....you have a huge vacuum leak. They are almost if not the best diagnostic number you can have and will tell you if you have a problem long before any check engine lights come on. Of my fuel trims get over +5 I'm looking at replacing parts. Most non or new mechanics have never even hear of them....all of this is speculation.....but look at jfoj sig
Also, I have read some of our piston rings are spring loaded, sensitive to vacuum pressure and hug the piston to allow for some measured amount of blow by between the rings and cylinder walls during various heat ranges. Clogged Ccv can affect this. carboned piston rings can clog the ccv from the dipstick tube... Didn't know these issues can cause enough extra pressure to rupture valve cover and oil pan gaskets.

Sent from my XT1563 using E46Fanatics mobile app
JohnnyFaire is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blue, cleaner, dmax, engine, fuel, gas, injector, injectors, intake, seafoam, smoke, suction, tank, white