Speedometer not working (NO warning lights on dash) Cluster issue? - Page 2 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-22-2016, 07:33 PM   #21
Filipg92

My Ride: 2001 BMW 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-North View Post
Pa soft does a pretty good job at interrogating ABS/DSC systems. It just isn't so good as INPA for repairing them. Full version of BMW Standard Tools including INPA in my sig. with the steering wheel sensor calibration routine for E46 abs/dsc swap. Xemodex does a great job at a fair price of abs/dsc repair via courier.

You need to get all codes read first tho to know what's up?
So these are all BMW specific scan tools? Will try to get one of them and see whats going on, not a HUGE deal just annoying and I've been driving this car for a month already (At this point I'm pretty much used to driving with no speedo, my e36's didnt work either, but that was a much easier fix)

Thanks for the links will try them out when I get home
Filipg92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 07:58 PM   #22
AlexC28

My Ride: 323i 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filipg92 View Post
I went through the fuses in the glove box and they all were good. Are there any other fuse boxes? I've heard of there being one in the trunk but didn't find anything.
that is all the fuses in the car the rest are relays hidden under glovebox and engine, but there isn't one for speedometer
AlexC28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 12:24 AM   #23
StichickP

My Ride: 328I
Same Problem - No speedometer

1999 328i, 5 standard transmission / 5 speed with M-54 eng.

110 K miles

Speedometer quit. No MPG / Avg MPG.

RPM and other gauges are functioning normally.

No instrument cluster warning lights illuminating.

DSC functions

Fuses are good

Car runs good otherwise.

Could it be an ABS sensor or vehicle sensor on transmission ?

Open to suggestions.
StichickP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 02:03 AM   #24
scottjoh
Modded ///Member

My Ride: '99 323i & '02 540i
Speedometer not working (NO warning lights on dash) Cluster issue?

Is the coolant temp all the way in the red too? If so then it sounds the no CAN bus communication.

Last edited by scottjoh; 05-07-2017 at 07:11 PM.
scottjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 01:20 PM   #25
StichickP

Temp gauge operates normally. All other gauges seem to function normally except odometer, and those computerized readouts that require a speed input like the MPG.

Seems like a speed sensor, but which one ?

Do all four wheels have speed sensors ?

Is there a speed sensor on the standard transmission ?
Old 01-01-2017, 01:24 PM   #26
scottjoh
Modded ///Member

If one of the wheel speed sensors were bad you would get a DSC light on the cluster letting you know there is a problem. So replacing the sensor won't do anything. The DSC module takes the 4 wheel speed sensors, but only the rear left sensor is signal conditioned and sent to the cluster. It is that signal that may be bad. Usually because of a bad DSC module. You can check on the back of the cluster X11175 pin 19.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ABS.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	654641  

Last edited by scottjoh; 05-08-2017 at 07:03 PM.
Old 01-01-2017, 01:38 PM   #27
StichickP

Thanx

No DSC light illuminated. Other cluster gauges seem to be functioning normally.

I'll start by checking sensor cables and connections, then will change the left rear sensor attempting the cheapest possible item in the process of elimination.

Hopefully it will solve the problem. If not, perhaps a new DSC is in order.

Thank you scottjoh

Last edited by StichickP; 01-01-2017 at 01:47 PM. Reason: Obmited portion of comment
Old 01-01-2017, 01:51 PM   #28
StichickP

Speedometer inop

Thanx

No DSC light illuminated. Other cluster gauges seem to be functioning normally.

I'll start by checking sensor cables and connections, then will change the left rear sensor attempting the cheapest possible item in the process of elimination.

Hopefully it will solve the problem. If not, perhaps a new DSC is in order.

Thank you scottjoh
Old 01-01-2017, 08:35 PM   #29
scottjoh
Modded ///Member

The sensor is fine if you don't get a DSC (or ASC) light.
Like I said before the DSC (or ASC) module takes all the wheel speed sensors, but, only the rear left one gets signal conditioned and sent off to the instrument cluster. Search for signal name F_DFAHL in the WDS. It comes from DSC module connector X18303 pin 10 (I don't know where comes out of the ASC) and goes to the cluster black connector X11175 pin 19. If you have factory equipped navigation it goes to the GPS module also and is used for dead reckoning.

Last edited by scottjoh; 01-02-2017 at 03:47 PM.
Old 01-02-2017, 01:48 PM   #30
StichickP

Scottjoh, I've noticed that as I drive the car and the fuel gauge moved down with fuel consumption toward the 1/4 hash mark, the gauge slowly oscillates up to 1/4, and down to near "E" then again moves up... It seems to continue moving very slowly up and down. The reserve light occasionally blinks. This is a newly noticed symptom. As I said, the vehicle is an early 1999, and is equipped with ASC not DSC. I'll let you know how the speed sensor change affects the situation. I do appreciate your guidance.
Old 01-02-2017, 03:48 PM   #31
scottjoh
Modded ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StichickP View Post
Scottjoh, I've noticed that as I drive the car and the fuel gauge moved down with fuel consumption toward the 1/4 hash mark, the gauge slowly oscillates up to 1/4, and down to near "E" then again moves up... It seems to continue moving very slowly up and down. The reserve light occasionally blinks. This is a newly noticed symptom.
Likely a bad fuel level sensor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StichickP View Post
As I said, the vehicle is an early 1999, and is equipped with ASC not DSC. I'll let you know how the speed sensor change affects the situation. I do appreciate your guidance.
Like I said before changing the sensor won't do anything!

For fun I disconnected pin 19 from the back of my cluster and drove around. As I expected no speedo and no mpg.

Last edited by scottjoh; 01-04-2017 at 06:38 PM.
Old 05-04-2017, 06:04 PM   #32
jaxone

My Ride: BMW
Hi guys.

Sorry for hijacking this but I can see Filipg92 never came back to tell us if he fixed this and how ....

I have similar problem with an E46 328i from 2000 where the previous swapped the cluster.
I coded VIN, Mileage and everything i the cluster and EVERYTHING seems to work fine EXCEPT for the analogue speedometer. No ABS no DSC lights.

I connected with Inpa to the cluster and I can read speed.
Then to make sure I read speed from correct place I even cut the wire on pin 19 that comes from the ABS module , and as soon as I cut it , Inpa can not read the speed anymore. So ABS seems to give me the signal I need.

Checked with Inpa also all 4 ABS sensors, they all read good.

For info : OBC does seem not to work also (this is next problem I will hunt) and the OEM stereo is replaced by some aftermarket navigation system.

Any idea what can cause this mysterious problem ?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by jaxone; 05-04-2017 at 06:07 PM.
jaxone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 07:42 PM   #33
Filipg92

Wow I missed some of these replys..

No worries feel free to hijack I am still driving around with no speedo. Lol never met up with @scottjoh to check the #19 pin. And I have not checked it with the impa.

Wondering now if my cluster has ever been swapped.. I don't think so though, leaning more towards the bad wire.
Old 05-05-2017, 01:16 AM   #34
scottjoh
Modded ///Member

Quote:
Wow I missed some of these replys..

No worries feel free to hijack I am still driving around with no speedo. Lol never met up with @scottjoh to check the #19 pin.
I'm in the LA area (Torrance) and am available weekdays after about 7pm or Saturday mornings.

I checked pin 19 on my car just to verify what the signal looks like. First I tried looking at it with a portable oscilloscope with the cluster removed. There was no voltage on the wire. It needs to be probed with the cluster connected. The cluster provided the pull up for the signal. I then added a 33K pull up to 12V and got a nice 50% duty cycle square wave with frequency that varied with wheel speed.

Last edited by scottjoh; 05-07-2017 at 12:34 PM.
Old 05-05-2017, 02:34 AM   #35
jaxone

I will be in Culver City in 12-22 June Maybe we can look at yours while we have a cold beer )

But still something is really strange about this.

Filipg92 : Does your DSC button work ?
When I press mine nothing shows on the dash.. so I am thinking previous owner changed maybe also ABS module or something else....
I've been banging my head on this for the past 3 days
Old 05-05-2017, 11:26 AM   #36
Filipg92

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjoh View Post
I'm in the LA area (Torrance) and am available weekdays after about 7pm or Saturday mornings.
Do you have a shop? If so what is it called? Let me know, maybe I'll even try for tomorrow morning. (not sure if this will work but my number is 847 962 0510) call or send me a message if you can.
Old 05-05-2017, 11:28 AM   #37
Filipg92

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxone View Post
I will be in Culver City in 12-22 June Maybe we can look at yours while we have a cold beer )

But still something is really strange about this.

Filipg92 : Does your DSC button work ?
When I press mine nothing shows on the dash.. so I am thinking previous owner changed maybe also ABS module or something else....
I've been banging my head on this for the past 3 days
Yes my DSC button works, I have definitely turned it off for some drives. When you press the DSC button the light right in the middle of your dash should come on to indicate that its disabled.

Any you have no ABS light on?

Yes definitely! Maybe by then my speedo will be fixed..

Last edited by Filipg92; 05-05-2017 at 11:30 AM. Reason: Forgot to add one more sentence.
Old 05-05-2017, 02:34 PM   #38
jaxone

No, the ABS light is not on.

Filipg92 > did you manage to get a bmw scanner ?
Would be interesting to see some readings / errors registered by the cluster or abs if any.
Old 05-05-2017, 07:03 PM   #39
scottjoh
Modded ///Member

Quote:
Do you have a shop? If so what is it called? Let me know, maybe I'll even try for tomorrow morning. (not sure if this will work but my number is 847 962 0510) call or send me a message if you can.
I don't have a shop, but, my friend does. Ex BMW trained mechanics that got sick and tired of the BS replacing stuff that didn't need to be replaced, but, the helpful service advisor talked the customer into it to get up to at least $1000. My friends shop is Silver Star Mercedes (and BMW/Mini) on PCH in Harbor City. He bought the shop about a year ago from the original owner. 37 years in business doing Mercedes and now BMW/Mini. Talk to James.
Flilip92, I'll see you tomorrow morning about your cluster speedo problem.
Old 05-07-2017, 10:06 AM   #40
jaxone

Problem solved.

It was a wire at the starter that was melted together with a +12V permanent.
The wire goes from the starter motor to the engine ECU.

So I guess the problem is the same for you Filipg92.

Tags
bc, bmw, cluster, e46, speedometer