E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Motorsports & Track Forum

Motorsports & Track Forum
From Auto-X to Trackday to Racing and Professional Motorsports this is the place to discuss making BMWs fast

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2017, 03:27 PM   #1
LastGreatOne

My Ride: E46 328i
Drift 328i questions and ideas

Like the title says i have a 328i its and old thing i wanted to make it a cool street car and what not but i have always wanted to race and drift. Now this car is going to be my drift car and my family is buying another car (gen coupe or frs) as wifes DD. So this car will kept it insured because its like $10 a month for me. It will see 80% drifting a little Auto X and the 20% drive home. So feel free to shoot my ideas down or offer better knowledge its my first drift car.

1. I want to weld a 3.46 and replace the 2.9_ diff instead of a lsd. But can a welded diff even work well for a few auto x a year?

2. What tires to run. I was thinking of buying a bunch of used snow tires for the rears less grippy idk where i heard this but yea

3. What else is a must or should i do most basic of things

4. Anyone know any event that will start before april may time i want yo start asap. I live in chicago but often visit st.louis (home)

5. Is a hydraulic e brake needed. Or is what i read miss informing me

Sent from my LGLS992 using E46Fanatics mobile app

Last edited by LastGreatOne; 01-03-2017 at 03:44 PM. Reason: Im dumb
LastGreatOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-03-2017, 03:33 PM   #2
LastGreatOne

Ps I have raceland coilovers. I plan to replace maybe later on with a koni hr combo. But not until later maybe a few months

Old 01-15-2017, 02:13 PM   #3
AbdullaJaafari

My Ride: E46 330ci
The main reason I got the 330Ci is because I'm planning to turn it into a drift car eventually, so I'm starting bit by bit with street legal mods until I go full race mode.

Get dependable and adjustable coilovers (HSD offer affordable good ones on driftworks)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastGreatOne View Post
1. I want to weld a 3.46 and replace the 2.9_ diff instead of a lsd. But can a welded diff even work well for a few auto x a year?
A welded diff will never do you good at Auto X, but will surely help you kill some tires.. If you weld the diff, know that you can never go on the high way, or get traction around corners.

Quote:
2. What tires to run. I was thinking of buying a bunch of used snow tires for the rears less grippy idk where i heard this but yea
Any tires would work if you want to have fun/practice .. You could get new tires but then I'd suggest you raise the air pressure so you get less traction. Used tires would save you a lot of money and you wouldn't care if you kill them.

Quote:
3. What else is a must or should i do most basic of things
Replace the subframe bushings to poly to avoid cracking the chassis. I'd recommend you go poly all around

Quote:
5. Is a hydraulic e brake needed. Or is what i read miss informing me
Oh definitely. A hydraulic handbrake will give you ultimate control and specially at initiation, unless you like using the weight of the car to transition or start a drift but a hydraulic handbrake will be like a magic wand.
Old 01-16-2017, 08:43 PM   #4
Swaneewillwin

My Ride: E46 330
Here are my 2 cents. I did the same thing and bought a 330e46. It was very clean. I was debating on drifting it because it was so clean. Then problem after problem has been showing their ugly faces. At some point you just have to start calling it a drift car or not. There is no middle ground of street/drift car. Defiantly not a show car/drift car. Strip it make the suspension as strong as you can, weld the diff(Chelsea denofa ran a welded in formula d for awhile) get spare wheels and lots of shitty used tires and get out there.

Last edited by Swaneewillwin; 01-16-2017 at 08:44 PM.
Swaneewillwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 09:01 PM   #5
LastGreatOne

Thanks for the help and yes it wont be a street car (but i don't own a truck so it will be driven to events) im waiting for spring to come so i can get to working on the car (chicago to cold to work in) but i am just debating on my diff. im thinking i might just swap in a m rear end. Since i want to replace all the bushings anyways. Can i run the m3 or 330 brakes if i do that. Hard to find answers on bmw forums for me most ppl just criticize and argue. And go so far off topic -_-

Old 01-16-2017, 09:03 PM   #6
LastGreatOne

The more i read the more i think i want a lsd and not a weld thanks for your input AbdullaJaafari made me do some research

Old 01-17-2017, 01:14 AM   #7
Rob43
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 03 331Ci 5spd R1200R
Quote:
The more i read the more i think i want a lsd and not a weld thanks for your input AbdullaJaafari made me do some research

Be careful who & what you listen to....

I won't waste my time with all the above supposition in post #3, but I will tell you two things:

1) HSD Coilovers are crap.

2) I won more races than you can imagine with my pictured race car below using a welded diff.

Rob43

Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 SCCA
(DynoDynamics https:vimeo.com/8486878 Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

I BUILD SUSPENSIONS (Consult) FROM MILD TO WILD FOR RWD & Xi E46's
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
I Know How To Fix The Rear "Bouncing" Problem On Your Cheap Coilovers Like: Jom RL FK SE & RK.
Rob43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 08:01 AM   #8
Swaneewillwin

My Ride: E46 330
Upgrades and drift car necessities in my personal opinion for your drift car.

Start with the diff and get the traction control lined out, the welded diff and traction control fight each other when going around corners at regular speed.

Do regular maintenance! Make sure all brakes and rotors function and will not break when you are getting sideways.

Fresh oils, filters and fluids in all compartments.

Then I would spend your money on driving whenever and wherever you can.

Experience is way more important than a cone filter or exhaust.
Swaneewillwin is offline   Reply With Quote