E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Motorsports & Track Forum

Motorsports & Track Forum
From Auto-X to Trackday to Racing and Professional Motorsports this is the place to discuss making BMWs fast

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-30-2016, 09:18 AM   #1
stevemd

My Ride: 330i, XC60, Mazda 6
Time to Look for an Autocross Whip But What's That in My Garage?

Having sold the fun-as-balls-to-autox Mazda 3 2.5/6 last year to make room for the '02 330i Msport project, I find myself without a candidate to resume autoxing with in 2017.

One reason I haven't considered the 330i seriously for autox is that it is an auto trans model per wife's insistence even though (1) Our other 2 cars are auto (2) she never drives the 330i, doesn't like the 'heavy' steering. Women, go figure.

Should I leave my man card at home and try autox in the autobox 330i? It does handle and run very well. Koni yellows, new front suspension, M3 RTAB's, Redline D4 ATF in the ZF auto.

Happy new year e46f.

-steve

Last edited by stevemd; 12-30-2016 at 09:19 AM.
stevemd is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-30-2016, 12:37 PM   #2
generalvp

My Ride: 05 330ci
I autocross my auto 330ci with no problems so I don't see why not?
generalvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 01:56 PM   #3
Darkside213

My Ride: Daily Charger, 01 M3
Is your wife going to autocross too? Cause if not, why does she care if it's not auto

Sent from my SM-G930T using E46Fanatics mobile app
Darkside213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 08:12 PM   #4
stevemd

Quote:
Originally Posted by generalvp View Post
I autocross my auto 330ci with no problems so I don't see why not?
Cool. Will have a go at it when the season starts up here.
Old 01-01-2017, 12:45 PM   #5
pvaultguy

My Ride: 2004 330i
I made the mistake of buying an automatic as well. I still took it to the track. There is a slight detent in the throttle. Just learn how that effects the shifting in manual mode and you should be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app
pvaultguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 09:03 AM   #6
stevemd

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvaultguy View Post
I made the mistake of buying an automatic as well. I still took it to the track. There is a slight detent in the throttle. Just learn how that effects the shifting in manual mode and you should be fine.

Not sure about a detent, can you explain more? I did some manual shifting yesterday and find that pressing the accelerator down a bit while down shifting provides pretty good rev-match.
Old 01-02-2017, 07:00 PM   #7
pvaultguy

My Ride: 2004 330i
Time to Look for an Autocross Whip But What's That in My Garage?

On my 2004 330i there is a point near throttle to the floor where I can feel a bit of resistance. That is actually full throttle. In manual mode, if I push through that, it activates the "kick down" and shifts to a lower gear even though I did not push on the gear selector.

Let's say you are taking a corner in third gear. You want full throttle but you do not want the car to downshift to second gear because it's not worth the time. Just push to that detent pressure but not past it.

Last edited by pvaultguy; 01-02-2017 at 07:01 PM.
pvaultguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 11:27 AM   #8
CrowsFeast

My Ride: 330CI ZHP
You can autocross just about anything and have fun. If your local autocross does classes like mine and you'd like to be competitive you may want to look outside the E46 (or at least want an M). My local does it mostly by displacement so my 330 was the only car in my class without LSD, and down about 100 hp. The PSS tires weren't much help either obviously but I hadn't picked up track tires yet.
CrowsFeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 07:22 PM   #9
stevemd

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvaultguy View Post
On my 2004 330i there is a point near throttle to the floor where I can feel a bit of resistance. That is actually full throttle. In manual mode, if I push through that, it activates the "kick down" and shifts to a lower gear even though I did not push on the gear selector.

Let's say you are taking a corner in third gear. You want full throttle but you do not want the car to downshift to second gear because it's not worth the time. Just push to that detent pressure but not past it.

Oh, I didn't realize the kick down still worked in manual mode. I will keep this in mind and try it out soon. Thanks
Old 02-03-2017, 11:00 AM   #10
Mr.Wilson

My Ride: 04 e46 325i
**LIKE button** lol
Mr.Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote