E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 361 votes, 4.98 average. Display Modes
Old 11-14-2016, 07:58 AM   #641
M Shandy

My Ride: 02 325i base
So as of now here is the scoop I opened the tank and checked Tue fuel pump it's working fine :: new walbro 340lph :: I have plenty of fuel at the rails I was able to jump the starter to verify that the ground to engine and power to starter is all ok however I have no spark with leads me to be live that I am not getting power either due to the ignition switch or ews?... the switch is easy enough to build and try but after that... also I checked over fuses even the ones in the dme housing
M Shandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 08:00 AM   #642
M Shandy

So my wonder is if the switch is not the culprit would simply buying a dme with the ews deleted bypass all the other crap ? The antenna the key chip and so on. I have wanted to get one for my lightweight flywheel kit and intake exhaust upgrage and sap delete
Old 11-14-2016, 08:15 AM   #643
M Shandy

Also it is about fifteen minutes from my house behind a restaurant so checking on thing is tough to do so when I go there I want to have a list of possible things to check on i am working on getting a trailer to tow it home
Old 11-25-2016, 09:54 PM   #644
Chocolate Lab

My Ride: 2000 328i black 5-sp
My no-crank problem was the EWS... took the dealer a while to figure it out and I let him fix it.

Then not one week later, I have a crank-like-crazy no-start problem and the car won't start. Fuel pump is barely a year old and was from OEMbimmerparts, so I know it was a good brand and not junk.

Guess the next step is to try the fuel pump relay? Got the glove box out but in the lousy light I couldn't figure out how to get to it. I guess you have to remove more because there's no way people can get their hands in there to just pull it out. (And does it just pull straight out, or is there a clip on there I couldn't see?)

Forgot to ask: Even though it's a totally different type of no-start, could this be related to my no-crank problem the dealer fixed? Could be a total coincidence but maybe not.

Last edited by Chocolate Lab; 11-25-2016 at 10:01 PM.
Chocolate Lab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 08:24 PM   #645
M Shandy

sorry that I have not been able to give my two cents but it's been a few weeks since I had a break down no crank no start condition, I got it towed to a local indie who after hooking up their computer told me they thought it was simply the key? However they could not be certain.so for 180$ I had one sent up from Connecticut next day so when they got it voila starts like always, but for whatever reason my old key is working fine now?.... I am going to get a second ecu that has the ews deleted and some other modifications. I need to just suck it up and buy one of those ebay BMW laptops.
Old 12-06-2016, 08:26 PM   #646
M Shandy

Hey SCOTIA54 is that where you live? I am not to far from the Albany area
Old 12-21-2016, 09:44 AM   #647
ant318ise

My Ride: e46 318i se
I have no earth switching at the fuel pump relay terminl 85 from the dme fuel pump and relay tested and are good any ideas would be greatly apreciated thanks

Sent from my SM-G930F using E46Fanatics mobile app_nr_
ant318ise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 11:53 PM   #648
Clrios

My Ride: 323ci 2000 bmw
I have a2000 323ci BMW that will not start. It had been sitting up for two years and I tried using my regular key and it would not crank then I used the master key and it started Right up. I have been driving it for abt three weeks and the other day I got in it to crank for work and it would not start. No clicking everything lights up, all doors lock and unlock. Going to see if I can test my key. Bought a battery for it, that's not it. Any suggestions please.
Clrios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 11:55 AM   #649
Clrios

E46 no start

So I was told it's not the key. So I have to pay 125. To see just what it is. I don't know what to do.
Old 01-09-2017, 10:47 PM   #650
Clrios

I am trying to get a new key because my car won't crank but has power everywhere else. I pray this is the problem. How long did it take you to get your key?
Old 01-10-2017, 09:54 AM   #651
Chocolate Lab

Key/ews communication was the problem on mine. Dealer had my new key in just 2-3 days. That didn't fix the problem, though -- I needed a new/reprogrammed EWS.

You said in post #649 you were told it's not the key, but now you think maybe it is?
Old 01-10-2017, 10:09 AM   #652
Clrios

Well I think it is the key cause of it sitting in my garage for almost two years and it did the same thing it is doing now so I used my old key and it started. I now can not use either key. I know it can't be the starter because it has charge and power, just no turn . I am going to the dealer tomorrow to get a key. I pray this works because I do not have the money to put in shop. When you got your key, what all did they do?
Old 01-10-2017, 10:18 AM   #653
Chocolate Lab

What did they do? They just gave me the key. At the time my car was stuck at home (wouldn't start) so I had to program it myself.

Maybe yours is the EWS like mine. That's what happened to me, the key worked and then it just stopped one day. I have a 2000 like you -- that's so old I guess stuff just stops working sometimes.
Old 01-10-2017, 10:34 AM   #654
Clrios

Yeah I know they are old. I hope I can just get the key and it all works but if not I'll have to do what I have to do. Thank you for the info. Programming it is only locking the doors and trunk correct? Cause I already know how to do that. I would like to ask you one more question if you don't mind. My DSC light comes on while driving and my right brake will pulsate a little do you know why that is? I can be going 60 and it will do it or going slow.
Old 01-20-2017, 02:48 PM   #655
Chocolate Lab

So I just noticed that I'm not getting any RPM when I crank. Haven't checked underhood fuses yet, but if those check... what seems most likely next? Crankshaft position sensor? I don't have any codes.
Old 01-22-2017, 12:30 PM   #656
Bcrensh

My Ride: 2001 330ci
E46 Crank with no start after starter swap and push start

My first go at working on a bimmer

I swapped out my starter last night on my 01 330ci. The owner before my chopped in a push start by effectively hardwiring the starter to the positive terminal with a switch in the car, it even bypasses the clutch. It looks like the original wiring was snipped to do this (a black an yellow one).

Any way, swapped out the starter but left the push start intact because it ran and worked before.
I removed the intake manifold and all the goodies attached to get to the starter.
Now she cranks like a champ but the fuel rail is not priming.

I think I may need to reconnect the original wiring, could I just wire the push start in with the original wiring or should I just trash it?

Update:
Fixed it, fuse problem, number 29

Last edited by Bcrensh; 01-26-2017 at 11:49 AM. Reason: Figured it out
Bcrensh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 11:40 AM   #657
Clrios

So I was able to get my car started.I bought a $200.00 key and it started right up, but now I'm having issues with my brakes pulsating while I'm driving or slowing down. I almost ran up someone's butt due to me not being able to stop cause of them pulsating. It's frustrating!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-29-2017, 09:14 AM   #658
Bangwilder

My Ride: 328i Sport edition
Hi, I have an E46 328i 2001 step. Car was running fine until 2 days ago. My wife just got back from work and I took a drive to my dads place. Parked the car for about 10minutes or so and got back in to return home. I switched the car on and selected from "Park" to "Reverse" but the car rolled forward. I hit the brakes and checked to see that I did select Reverse. It was on Reverse according to the gear stick but the dash display where the Gears show, was blank? I switched the car off waited for bout 20 seconds and tried to switch it back on but there was no crank, no starter spin... almost like the car was parked with ignition off. My dash lights all light up, battery is fine and so is starter, bridged the starter to get the car started and drove it to the workshop but the gears never changed, was only on First gear. Please help if anyone came across this issue before, the diagnostic machines arent showing any faults on this... Hhellllpp!!!
Bangwilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 12:27 PM   #659
Bradders24

My Ride: E46 330ci
E46 320ci start issue

Hi, is there anyone on here than can guide me in the right direction?
I had erratic idoling and got a diagnostic done and showed the inlet camshaft sensor error code so replaced it and it ran worse, but I did buy the part of eBay so got an OEM one and it went back to rough idoling as it was prior to diagnostics, i have also replaced fuel pump, coil packs and spark plugs. now my car will not start, have been trying all morning***128545;it was trying to fire up by pumping the throttle, I then released the pressure valve on the injector rail and she fired up and runs a bit rough on idol and drives fine! It's just the starting issue and why by releasing pressure from the rail would it start? Could it be the fuel regulator and why is my cam sensor keep coming up on the diagnostic machine? HELP!!
Bradders24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 12:38 PM   #660
Jcieslik

My Ride: E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradders24 View Post
Hi, is there anyone on here than can guide me in the right direction?
I had erratic idoling and got a diagnostic done and showed the inlet camshaft sensor error code so replaced it and it ran worse, but I did buy the part of eBay so got an OEM one and it went back to rough idoling as it was prior to diagnostics, i have also replaced fuel pump, coil packs and spark plugs. now my car will not start, have been trying all morning***128545;it was trying to fire up by pumping the throttle, I then released the pressure valve on the injector rail and she fired up and runs a bit rough on idol and drives fine! It's just the starting issue and why by releasing pressure from the rail would it start? Could it be the fuel regulator and why is my cam sensor keep coming up on the diagnostic machine? HELP!!
Did you forget a ground when doing the plugs?
Jcieslik is offline   Reply With Quote