E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1996 votes, 4.91 average.
Old 01-05-2017, 09:56 AM   #38921
Mango
e46mango.com

My Ride: Lexus
Replacing "everything" (everything in my link here: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=960780) preeeeeeeeeetty much guarantees you won't break down. Of course, not everyone can afford to do everything all at once. But if you prioritize, you will be off to a good start. If you have an E46, you're proooobably going to want to do the expansion tank and fuel pump right off the bat. No questions asked. See my site here for more info: http://www.e46mango.com/2014/10/hi-t...6fanatics.html

If you want full reliability, you can do either of two things: You can buy a brand new car or take a used car like a BMW E46 and make it brand new. At least restoring an E46 costs a fraction of a new car--including the cost of the car itself! Either way, there's no free lunches. Reliable transportation will cost you.
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 09:56 AM   #38922
Mango
e46mango.com

My Ride: Lexus
Replacing "everything" (everything in my link here: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=960780) preeeeeeeeeetty much guarantees you won't break down. Of course, not everyone can afford to do everything all at once. But if you prioritize, you will be off to a good start. If you have an E46, you're proooobably going to want to do the expansion tank and fuel pump right off the bat. No questions asked. See my site here for more info: http://www.e46mango.com/2014/10/hi-t...6fanatics.html

If you want full reliability, you can do either of two things: You can buy a brand new car or take a used car like a BMW E46 and make it brand new. At least restoring an E46 costs a fraction of a new car--including the cost of the car itself! Either way, there's no free lunches. Reliable transportation will cost you.
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 12:07 PM   #38923
Sasha_V

My Ride: 2000 323i
Took me 6 hours, but did brakes, discs and shoe adjustment for the first time, so great!
Sasha_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 12:13 PM   #38924
yjsaabman

My Ride: '03 325i Touring
A blanket statement like he said doesn't embody the spirit of this site. This site is here to prove that anyone can do repairs and maintenance themselves with a little bit of guidance. If you are hell bent that you can't, and you can't afford to pay someone, perhaps this is not the car for you.

It is a used car, it will possibly break down. But if you buy one that has a maintenance history, it may cost a little more, but chances are good it will treat you better. I've had 3 of these cars, now, and the first 2 came from some more questionable sources, but all have treated me well and never let me sit, even on 1,000 plus mile road trips.
yjsaabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 03:28 PM   #38925
atgatt

My Ride: 2003 BMW 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoitsTmac View Post
I don't know what happened to him, but sometimes **** just happens.
There's a number of things that can be replaced but if you replaced everything that could potentially break, you'd be in the thousands. And if you can afford that, great. If I could, I'd replace all wear items too. I think this just hit me a certain way because I can't afford all PM. I do my best but I'm sure something will catch me by surprise and the same could have happened to this user
It can be expensive to maintain a BMW, no doubt. But they are fun to drive so do the best you can and enjoy the ride.

I'm lucky in that I also have an old Toyota that I use when the 325xi is out of service.
atgatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 03:50 PM   #38926
Trebor3515

My Ride: E46 323
Quote:
I don't know what happened to him, but sometimes **** just happens.
There's a number of things that can be replaced but if you replaced everything that could potentially break, you'd be in the thousands. And if you can afford that, great. If I could, I'd replace all wear items too. I think this just hit me a certain way because I can't afford all PM. I do my best but I'm sure something will catch me by surprise and the same could have happened to this user
It's a throttle body position sensor issure
Again in 3 months

Sent from my SM-G920F using E46Fanatics mobile app
Trebor3515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 10:06 PM   #38927
Radnor

My Ride: 325Ci
Replaced wipers today, wow what a difference a stupid thing like this makes.
Radnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 07:11 PM   #38928
xi46

My Ride: 2002 330xi ZPP/SP/CW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radnor View Post
Replaced wipers today, wow what a difference a stupid thing like this makes.

In the same category as new windshield cowls, new roundels, and hood latches that retreat into the grille all the way. Sometimes it's the little things.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app
xi46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 03:06 PM   #38929
mrich777

My Ride: 2006 E46 M3 Vert
Finally got around to installing my Bavsound Stage One speaker kit that I ordered after Thanksgiving. Not too bad of an install, but it was freakin' cold so that made it more challenging. Highly recommend this upgrade if you still have stock speakers and don't want to go fully custom. Cranked up a Van Halen greatest hits CD and heard cymbals from Alex that I'd never noticed before. Well worth the upgrade.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using E46Fanatics mobile app
mrich777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 03:39 PM   #38930
xi46

My Ride: 2002 330xi ZPP/SP/CW
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrich777 View Post
Highly recommend this upgrade if you still have stock speakers and don't want to go fully custom. Cranked up a Van Halen greatest hits CD and heard cymbals from Alex that I'd never noticed before. Well worth the upgrade.

Thanks for the mini review. I was considering this upgrade but I think I can probably get pretty nice speakers for half the price.

As for my E46, I just did the Beisan Systems VANOS seal repair, removed the clutch delay valve, and flushed the brake/clutch fluid.

xi46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 06:15 PM   #38931
mrich777

My Ride: 2006 E46 M3 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by xi46 View Post
Thanks for the mini review. I was considering this upgrade but I think I can probably get pretty nice speakers for half the price.

As for my E46, I just did the Beisan Systems VANOS seal repair, removed the clutch delay valve, and flushed the brake/clutch fluid.

My research kept leading me back to them due to ease of installation and ohm matching to factory amp.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using E46Fanatics mobile app
mrich777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 05:51 AM   #38932
YoitsTmac

My Ride: 328Ci
Installed my other camber plate at Archbid's today. Amazing the difference it makes to have each wheel at the same settings! Wobble has lessened back to the way it was before I installed one camber plate, but it is not gone. I also sanded all the mounting surfaces: hub, both sides of the rotor, and my wheels. So now I'm at tires, rims, rim refinishing, tie rods, FCAB's, CA's, hub sanding, end links, and still have a wobble. I'm fighting everything I have to not just impulsively buy a rack...not much left I can blame.
YoitsTmac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 08:31 AM   #38933
yjsaabman

My Ride: '03 325i Touring
Quote:
Installed my other camber plate at Archbid's today. Amazing the difference it makes to have each wheel at the same settings! Wobble has lessened back to the way it was before I installed one camber plate, but it is not gone. I also sanded all the mounting surfaces: hub, both sides of the rotor, and my wheels. So now I'm at tires, rims, rim refinishing, tie rods, FCAB's, CA's, hub sanding, end links, and still have a wobble. I'm fighting everything I have to not just impulsively buy a rack...not much left I can blame.
Have you replaced the steering guibo?
yjsaabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 07:27 AM   #38934
goforit

My Ride: 2000 323i
Performed a cooling system overhaul yesterday including radiator along with pulleys, tensioners and belts. The old thermostat had started soft failing over the last couple weeks, made the time to change everything out.
Old 01-10-2017, 06:57 PM   #38935
DEUCEman

My Ride: '02 325i
Replaced the Window Washer Pump and Air Filter. It's baby steps until I really start to mod the girl out.
Old 01-12-2017, 06:55 AM   #38936
Solidjake
Zero. Leaks.

My Ride: '02 330i 6MT
Had the state inspection done yesterday. Today installing new corner lights and painting the headlight trim black. Possible car wash

Orion V2 - Osram CBI Low - ZKW Clear Lenses - Osram Rallye H7 - Morimoto XB Fog

Last edited by Solidjake; 01-12-2017 at 06:56 AM.
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 07:29 AM   #38937
ahmed_alghoul

My Ride: 04 bmw 330ci Con.
Clean and Recharge K&N air filter, air mass clean ,add distilled water with windshield washer solvent,check oil level water level

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ahmed_alghoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 09:03 AM   #38938
330BCi

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
Dropped the subframe, removed oil pan, checked oil pump nut, painted and installed BB V1 Headers(the buggers didn't line up with the existing pipes, so had to cut and clamp them), changed to M3 motor mounts, deleted SAP, changed TS, ET and found out my WP pulley is stuck to the pump and I had no replacement pulley in case I broke it, so that will be next summer. Coolant flush, replaced broken pedal, and interior reading light panel. All in all, some work in the summer and then it will be good to become my DD.

Last edited by 330BCi; 01-12-2017 at 09:08 AM. Reason: forgot something
330BCi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 10:02 AM   #38939
orb
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330BCi View Post
Dropped the subframe, removed oil pan, checked oil pump nut, painted and installed BB V1 Headers(the buggers didn't line up with the existing pipes, so had to cut and clamp them), changed to M3 motor mounts, deleted SAP, changed TS, ET and found out my WP pulley is stuck to the pump and I had no replacement pulley in case I broke it, so that will be next summer. Coolant flush, replaced broken pedal, and interior reading light panel. All in all, some work in the summer and then it will be good to become my DD.
Yeah, they stick. When you decide to replace the pump you should replace the pulley as well even if you don't break it upon removal. They've been known to shatter and get brittle with age like everything else.

Not to mention if you haven't done all the other pulleys they should be replaced too. Really cheap items that are known to fail catastrophically.

Also putting anti-seize between the water pump and pulley helps next time you may need to remove the pulley.
Old 01-12-2017, 10:17 AM   #38940
330BCi

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by orb View Post
Yeah, they stick. When you decide to replace the pump you should replace the pulley as well even if you don't break it upon removal. They've been known to shatter and get brittle with age like everything else.

Not to mention if you haven't done all the other pulleys they should be replaced too. Really cheap items that are known to fail catastrophically.

Also putting anti-seize between the water pump and pulley helps next time you may need to remove the pulley.
Haha, I was planning exactly this. My current one is already chipped, and I was thinking about getting an aluminium set of pulleys but I don't know if it's worth it. Thoughts?