E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 419 votes, 4.68 average.
Old 01-11-2017, 09:32 PM   #3381
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOne View Post
I can hear a slight chirping sound when first starting the car in the morning, seems to go away after. coolant level looks good and I haven't needed to put in anymore in today.

Is it really not recommended to open the bleed screw just a bit when it's warm/hot to lose the air?

Temp seems to go up to 98c (seen it at 99c for a sec) then goes down is this normal ?
Please learn how not to double post. And erase one of the dupes so we won't be seeing double for years.

Chirping is very likely a drive belt bearing on the way to fail. Learn how to tell which one is bad or replace all three before you reach catastrophe soon. I'm not kidding.
Opening the bleed screw when warm and running will not only do no good, it will do harm. It will lose the good bleed you may have had.
Learn the in's and out's of your car better as these are beginner questions. Your car will stay in better shape that way.

Fluctuating temp may be due to old thermostat, or less than a perfect bleed. You must follow the procedure accurately.
Old 01-11-2017, 10:20 PM   #3382
jmo69

My Ride: 03 325xi 98 328is
Pull the belt and spin the tensioner and idler pulleys, they should be silent. Or use a wooden dowel and touch something solid as close to each pulley as possible. On the idler you could use the bolt that holds it on and hold the other end to your ear, the sound will transmit through the dowel. Just be careful of the belts.
Old 01-14-2017, 04:46 PM   #3383
Mr.Wilson

My Ride: 04 e46 325i
if you cant get bmw coolant get Zerex-G48 closest and best other than that dont do it lol
Mr.Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 07:19 PM   #3384
bezender

My Ride: 328i
Hi all,

after doing a cooling system re-fresh another weak point has come to light...

i have the ol' misty windscreen so it looks like im in for some heater core fun. Does anyone know if there is a way to tell what type of heater core i would have prior to pulling the stereo etc. out?

this:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=64_0818

Or this:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=64_0993

Cheers lads,
Carl
bezender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 08:51 PM   #3385
jmo69

My Ride: 03 325xi 98 328is
This one is for cars built up to 9/1999 http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=64_0993 what's your build date?
Old 01-17-2017, 09:34 PM   #3386
bezender

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmo69 View Post
This one is for cars built up to 9/1999 http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=64_0993 what's your build date?
Thanks jmo69, I dont know the build date off the top of my head but it was a '99 car so thankfully i asked!
Old 02-07-2017, 03:53 AM   #3387
KimberleyRenee

My Ride: BMW 2000 318i
Sorry for the silly question, but how can I find out whether my expansion tank has been replaced? As I've bought the car with no service history ( I know, could be tragic ) to me it looks newer, but then again I'm new to the e46 and I'm still trying to figure what needs to be done.
KimberleyRenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 07:15 AM   #3388
bmwdude330

My Ride: E46 330i ZHP
If in doubt, replace it.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app
bmwdude330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 07:19 AM   #3389
Mbryant616

My Ride: 2004 325Ci Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimberleyRenee View Post
Sorry for the silly question, but how can I find out whether my expansion tank has been replaced? As I've bought the car with no service history ( I know, could be tragic ) to me it looks newer, but then again I'm new to the e46 and I'm still trying to figure what needs to be done.
It's recommended that you do a full cooling system refresh. Don't wait for even one item in your cooling system to fail - as it could be the end of your engine. I bought mine in Dec 2016 with 99k miles, a few records, and runs like a top. But I will be replacing the entire system per Mango's recommendation, as soon as the weather gets a bit warmer. I have all the parts already in the garage. If any of the parts I replace look to be in really good shape, might be able to sell them on ebay.
Mbryant616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 03:56 PM   #3390
KimberleyRenee

Yes I think it's probably the safest option to just replace everything to save any future hassle.

So from reading a bit of information I should not purchase anything except OE parts? There are cheaper parts on ebay but even being a young women with little knowledge I have some scepticism as to whether they will do my car any justice or just break within a couple of months and cost me more money!

Sorry if I seem like I have no idea, there is just soooo much information on here I'm having a hard time trying to figure out what's right or wrong! I have a 2000 318i in titanium silver, it's my baby and the very last thing I want to do is ruin it!
Old 02-07-2017, 04:20 PM   #3391
tailendcharlie

My Ride: 02 330i
For critical parts like coolant hoses or expansion tanks most folks would advise OE. If there is a large number of users reporting good results with non-OE parts, then you can probably justify going that route. Certainly for something like an A/C compressor few owners would go with genuine BMW. You have to do some searching to find a consensus depending on the part. In general, most advise steering clear of Chinese parts which can bd confusing since some "OEM" parts could in reality be made there. Gotta do your homework.

Last edited by tailendcharlie; 02-07-2017 at 04:22 PM.
tailendcharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 04:40 PM   #3392
Mbryant616

My Ride: 2004 325Ci Vert
Quote:
Yes I think it's probably the safest option to just replace everything to save any future hassle.

So from reading a bit of information I should not purchase anything except OE parts? There are cheaper parts on ebay but even being a young women with little knowledge I have some scepticism as to whether they will do my car any justice or just break within a couple of months and cost me more money!

Sorry if I seem like I have no idea, there is just soooo much information on here I'm having a hard time trying to figure out what's right or wrong! I have a 2000 318i in titanium silver, it's my baby and the very last thing I want to do is ruin it!
I found that many more experienced E46ers are using FCP Euro to order most critical parts - they may not always be cheapest, but have a Lifetime Warranty on everything. I have found them easy to order online and shipping is usually free (over $49 in purchases). Shop ebay at your own risk! But saving a few bucks isn't worth it to me. (at least on mechanical items)
Mbryant616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 11:10 AM   #3393
lingon300k

My Ride: 2005 325xi Automatic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbryant616 View Post
I found that many more experienced E46ers are using FCP Euro to order most critical parts - they may not always be cheapest, but have a Lifetime Warranty on everything.
They also price match. https://www.fcpeuro.com/page/price-match
lingon300k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 11:22 AM   #3394
adwebinc

My Ride: '02 330Ci
+1000 on fcp. Great service, great prices and lifetime guarantee!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
adwebinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 02:37 PM   #3395
Eurobahn BMW
Eurobahn BMW

My Ride: BMW Greensboro
Thumbs Up

Eurobahn BMW MINI Mercedes Benz Audi of Greensboro is your local independent BMW Greensboro We offer BMW service at the dealer-level Service & expertise at a fraction of the cost at our BMW Greensboro dealership.

Last edited by tim330i; 02-08-2017 at 02:43 PM. Reason: Removed quoted text
Eurobahn BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 02:39 PM   #3396
KimberleyRenee

Thank you for the information! Much appreciated! Although I've had a look at the site that you provided and it seems they don't stock parts for the 318i model? Well I can't seem to find them anyway! :/
Old 02-08-2017, 04:16 PM   #3397
Kpriest

My Ride: 2005 325i
Quote:
Thank you for the information! Much appreciated! Although I've had a look at the site that you provided and it seems they don't stock parts for the 318i model? Well I can't seem to find them anyway! :/

Double check your production date on the drivers side door sticker. The 318 seems to have only been made through 1998 in the US. After that the 323 in 99-00.

According to Edmonds.com
Kpriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 07:05 PM   #3398
bezender

Hi all,

Against Mangos better advice, I thought I got away with re-using the ET base... it appears the plastic around the auto trans thermostat was too stressed and after 2 months worth of daily driving heat cycles in 40 degrees celsius (100f for the feet and inches crowd) unsurprisingly it split and started a slow leak.

I have a replacement ET base, and what I would like to know is; Will I have enough room after removing the airbox to replace this part without removing the fan and radiator from the car?

moral: listen to mango, especially if you live somewhere that gets proper hot
Old 02-09-2017, 12:40 PM   #3399
CrazyOneToo

My Ride: 1999 328i 4dr
Quote:

www.ecstuning.com

1999 328i E46 with a M52TU - 2002 X5 E53 3.0i with a M54

ECSTuning.com/ - AutohausAZ.com/ - XOutPost.com/

CrazyOneToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 02:29 PM   #3400
Mango
e46mango.com

My Ride: Lexus
Quote:
Originally Posted by bezender View Post
Hi all,

Against Mangos better advice, I thought I got away with re-using the ET base... it appears the plastic around the auto trans thermostat was too stressed and after 2 months worth of daily driving heat cycles in 40 degrees celsius (100f for the feet and inches crowd) unsurprisingly it split and started a slow leak.

I have a replacement ET base, and what I would like to know is; Will I have enough room after removing the airbox to replace this part without removing the fan and radiator from the car?

moral: listen to mango, especially if you live somewhere that gets proper hot
Thank you sir! "Listen to Mango" definitely sounds better than listen to the fruit. But these days--I'll take either!

As far as your install question, I'm not sure. It's been a while since I've been under the hood. These days, my ponytail just flaps in the wind. Sorry, I hope you figure it out, though.

Good luck!
Mango is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
bleeding, coolant, cooling system, diy cooling, expansion tank, lower hose sensor, overheat, radiator, radiator hose, temp sensor, temperature sensor, thermostat, water pump