E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2017, 01:02 AM   #1
Pushrod

My Ride: 2001 BMW 325i
Unique misfire issue

Hello everyone new to the form here and I posted an introduction in the new member introduction section of this form already. I just purchased a few months ago 2001 BMW 325I E46. I got the car for $2100 with 150,000 on the clock. It's in really good condition for the price that I got it for and for the most part is mechanically sound. Although I have a misfire issue that's bugging me. I have been religiously reading this form and others every day for the past few months trying to figure out a direction to go with this issue. I've already done all of the first "go to" things when a misfire issue happens. The very first thing I did to this car when I got it was a full tuneup and oil changes which included new OEM NGK spark plugs and OEM boots. I ran a can of seafoam to one tank of gas three times already which cleaned it up a lot. I have a intermittent misfire code P1351 that never goes to full status. It will pop up in pending status and disappear as quickly as it came. This happens about once a week maybe two times a week. The code pops up pending and then goes away. The car doesn't idle rough it doesn't run bad or shows any signs of an actual misfire. I've swapped coils around and this particular code keeps popping up. I'm wondering if it could be an engine problem like a sticky valve or something. I have not done a compression test yet. The search button has been my best friend for pretty much everything that I've done to this car already and I wouldn't make a post like this if I didn't absolutely have to. Does anyone have any ideas for me?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-12-2017, 03:50 AM   #2
Pushrod

My Ride: 2001 BMW 325i
I hope I posted this in the right section

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 07:10 AM   #3
UncleShrek

My Ride: 2000 323i Touring
Funny, I have the same issue.
Cylinder #2, I'm hoping this engine lasts at least another year.
UncleShrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 11:18 AM   #4
Kyrazh

My Ride: e39
1. spark's gap
2. sparks itself
3. The tip of the spark plug

very often!
4. coils
5. injection
6. low compression because of
6.1 bad pistons/rings
6.2 bad valves
Kyrazh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 06:42 PM   #5
UncleShrek

My Ride: 2000 323i Touring
I replaced ignition coil on cylinder #2, cel went away.
Came back about a week after, same code, same cylinder.
So today I replaced the spark plugs, man what a difference. Crisp acceleration, no exhaust pop, I'm pretty surprised how much new spark plugs do.

Last edited by UncleShrek; 01-16-2017 at 06:42 PM.
UncleShrek is offline   Reply With Quote