I hit a dead end, I can't get in my car in any way - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-11-2017, 01:35 AM   #1
AbdullaJaafari

My Ride: E46 330ci
I hit a dead end, I can't get in my car in any way

Hi guys,

So, I finally made the purchase and got myself a 330ci imported from Japan.
I drove the car on the first couple of days and was planning to do some thorough cleaning and maintenance in the next few days.

I parked the car for 24 hours, and went back to it last night, the remote key won't open the lock, I tried using the key itself and the lock just spins right and left doing nothing.

I did some googling, for the remote key, some people said it could be the GM5 module, and as for the key, I found that it's a common problem where I need to change the lock's internals.

The problem is, I can't open any door in the car and not even the trunk as the previous idiot owner in Japan has installed a rear view camera IN THE TRUNK'S KEYHOLE! Pissed me off.

I can't access the car in any way.

My assumptions:
-Dead battery
-Dead remote battery
-GM5 issue
-Door lock internals broke

I need a solution on how to get in the car and I'd really hate it if I need to break a window.

EDIT: Broke the window, continuing on this thread here: I had to break my car's window so I access it

Last edited by AbdullaJaafari; 01-13-2017 at 04:34 PM.
AbdullaJaafari is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-11-2017, 01:48 AM   #2
Megalocnus

My Ride: 05 330i ZHP/MT
If the battery is the issue, there may be an easier way to power the car by accessing the engine bay:

1. Find a way to unlatch the hood. This can be done by removing the two torx fasteners holding the latch. Break the kidney grille if you have to - it's cheaper and easier to replace than a window.
2. Connect jumper cables to the battery terminals under the hood.
3. Try to unlock the door using the key remote.
Megalocnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 01:53 AM   #3
AbdullaJaafari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalocnus View Post
If the battery is the issue, there may be an easier way to power the car by accessing the engine bay:

1. Find a way to unlatch the hood. This can be done by removing the two torx fasteners holding the latch. Break the kidney grille if you have to - it's cheaper and easier to replace than a window.
2. Connect jumper cables to the battery terminals under the hood.
3. Try to unlock the door using the key remote.
I'm going to first change the batteries in the keys and check again, if that doesn't work, I guess I'll be losing the grille (Much better than losing a window). Just found this video to see how I can unlatch the hood:

Last edited by AbdullaJaafari; 01-11-2017 at 01:54 AM.
Old 01-11-2017, 04:04 AM   #4
Megalocnus

My Ride: 05 330i ZHP/MT
Actually the diamond-shaped key is difficult to open - cutting is involved and there is a decent chance to damage the circuit board or the RFID element. Replacing the rechargeable battery itself is not trivial since it involves soldering, and few people can do that without overheating the battery in the process.

I think that in your particular situation it's preferable not to mess with the key.
Megalocnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 06:17 AM   #5
jfoj
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 330CiC, M5, X5, E93
The key battery is rarely a problem.

Since the door lock link is broken, chances is the GM5 may be bad, but did the keyfob ever work to unlock the car?

Do the interior lights come on when the keyfob is used to unlock the car?

Often a weak battery can cause a questionable GM5 to not unlock the car.

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temp, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose temp switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 06:37 AM   #6
TheRiddle
Sofa-king-what

My Ride: M52TUB28-Vert
a friend of mine had the same problem,

he solved by inserting a metal wire with a hook at the end (paracord), through the window seal in the direction of the passenger's handle
it's a PITA to aim that, but after 1hr of trying, he was in
lube the wire to make it slide easier

good luck
Old 01-11-2017, 07:06 PM   #7
Renboy

My Ride: 04 330Ci '08 Daytona
^^^ That.

But, if you can, get an arm cuff that's used to measure blood pressure. Carefully put it between a door window and the seal. Then pump it up a bit so that you bend the window away from the seal. This will give you more space to work with so that you can unlock the car.
Renboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 10:52 PM   #8
Swiff

My Ride: 2002 330xi
Does the trunk open with the key. If the battery is dead. you can boost it .
Swiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 03:55 AM   #9
AbdullaJaafari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalocnus View Post
Actually the diamond-shaped key is difficult to open - cutting is involved and there is a decent chance to damage the circuit board or the RFID element. Replacing the rechargeable battery itself is not trivial since it involves soldering, and few people can do that without overheating the battery in the process.

I think that in your particular situation it's preferable not to mess with the key.
For some reason I have these old keys and not the diamond shaped ones.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8684rs.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	648623  
Old 01-12-2017, 03:57 AM   #10
AbdullaJaafari

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoj View Post
The key battery is rarely a problem.

Since the door lock link is broken, chances is the GM5 may be bad, but did the keyfob ever work to unlock the car?

Do the interior lights come on when the keyfob is used to unlock the car?

Often a weak battery can cause a questionable GM5 to not unlock the car.
When I first got it, it worked just fine as long as the key is very close to the car, like extremely close and yes the lights did come on then

I've been trying to fiddle with the car for the past 2 days but with no results.. although twice while I was trying to open it, the interior light came on and dimmed out..
Old 01-12-2017, 03:58 AM   #11
AbdullaJaafari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renboy View Post
^^^ That.

But, if you can, get an arm cuff that's used to measure blood pressure. Carefully put it between a door window and the seal. Then pump it up a bit so that you bend the window away from the seal. This will give you more space to work with so that you can unlock the car.
Unfortunately the top of the window is under the seal/window frame and there's no way I can pry it open, and yes I did try the pump cuff thingy ..
Old 01-12-2017, 03:58 AM   #12
AbdullaJaafari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiff View Post
Does the trunk open with the key. If the battery is dead. you can boost it .
The idiot before me installed a reverse camera in the place of the trunk's keyhole.
Old 01-12-2017, 04:00 AM   #13
AbdullaJaafari

Day 3, and I still can't access my car in any way ..
I broke the front grill so I could attempt unscrewing the hood bolts, but none of my tools worked, and I couldn't find the right tool anywhere..

I'd really hate it if I need to break the window..
Old 01-12-2017, 04:25 AM   #14
du80is

My Ride: E46 330Ci
Here is a long shot. I have an aftermarket key a diamond one. But most people couldn't tell it from oem. Some of these keys can be set to either frequency and sometimes this happens if the key is jammed in my pocket. I.e. Goes from 315 to 433 MHz and doesn't work anymore. I have to go through a key pressing sequence to get it back. Then it opens the door.
Does the led flash when you press the key?

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app
du80is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 04:27 AM   #15
du80is

My Ride: E46 330Ci
Also you could take it to a car key locksmith they can at least tell if it's transmitting. If the battery in the key is discharged you might get some advise on inductive charging outside the car. I've read sometime trying a toothbrush charger.

du80is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 06:31 AM   #16
AbdullaJaafari

Quote:
Originally Posted by du80is View Post
Here is a long shot. I have an aftermarket key a diamond one. But most people couldn't tell it from oem. Some of these keys can be set to either frequency and sometimes this happens if the key is jammed in my pocket. I.e. Goes from 315 to 433 MHz and doesn't work anymore. I have to go through a key pressing sequence to get it back. Then it opens the door.
Does the led flash when you press the key?

My car came with the old key (pre-diamond)
But not sure about the frequency and I'm sure noone around here would be able to do a frequency test on the keys

I'm gonna try and take off the bumper today and see if I could reach the hood's cables or even the latch
Old 01-12-2017, 07:14 AM   #17
Dogthebountyhunter

My Ride: 02 325xi
Hey op why are you trying to get under the hood, the battery is in the trunk if your trying to test it or something. Also you have two different keys obviously maybe one is for the trunk only considering the old owner messed up the key hole.
Dogthebountyhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 07:30 AM   #18
sammy9010

My Ride: 01 330ci vert
Had a similar problem with my diamond key. It wasnt charging while the car was on anymore and i broke my tumbler my drivers side (330ci vert so only one key hole). From what i gathered while trying to get my car unlocked, the battery in the fob fails easily. Luckily, if you can get it open with a razor knife you can replace the battery and solder in a new one.
sammy9010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 07:32 AM   #19
BaliDawg
Keepin' it real stock

My Ride: E24 E32 E46 E39 E84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogthebountyhunter View Post
Hey op why are you trying to get under the hood, the battery is in the trunk if your trying to test it or something. Also you have two different keys obviously maybe one is for the trunk only considering the old owner messed up the key hole.
I believe the situation is that the car's battery is low or dead and he wants to access the jumper points under the hood to supply power.

He cannot get into the trunk because its lock was replaced with a backup camera installation.

The coupe is pretty easy to break into because, unlike the sedan, the driver's side window doesn't have a metal frame at the top and the window can be flexed out enough to slide a thin tool in the gap.

The larger key shown in post #9 is not original while the smaller one might be original but doesn't have the wireless fob.

Last edited by BaliDawg; 01-12-2017 at 07:33 AM.
BaliDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 07:43 AM   #20
Dogthebountyhunter

My Ride: 02 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaliDawg View Post
I believe the situation is that the car's battery is low or dead and he wants to access the jumper points under the hood to supply power.

He cannot get into the trunk because its lock was replaced with a backup camera installation.

The coupe is pretty easy to break into because, unlike the sedan, the driver's side window doesn't have a metal frame at the top and the window can be flexed out enough to slide a thin tool in the gap.

The larger key shown in post #9 is not original while the smaller one might be original but doesn't have the wireless fob.
Makes sense I forgot about the jumper points under the hood. Any one know what the blinking red light is called by the radio. Maybe op can see if his is blinking.
Dogthebountyhunter is offline   Reply With Quote