E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 316 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 05-05-2016, 06:03 PM   #141
jaga

My Ride: 2002 325i
very helpful information in this thread. I really appreciate your contribution.
jaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 10:57 AM   #142
hadzray

My Ride: 2004 BMW 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by feels View Post
Suggestion a simple way to check for healthy car

Check RPM
1. Starts the engine cold, without A/C, heater, fan off
2. The RPM should be above 1000 but gradually decrease to below 800 in < 30 sec
3. Wait for 5 (summer) - 8 (winter) min for the engine to warm up. The RPM should not bounce
4. The RPM should be 650 - 690, and should not bounce. Observe for another 5 min to confirm it is not bouncing

Potential Issues
1. Vacuum leakage
2. Bad CCV
3. DISA
4. VANOS
5. Fuel pump
6. Fuel filter
7. Mass air flow (MAF) sensor

Check Coolant Temperature
1. After the engine is warm, read the coolant temperature gauge
2. It should be a little above the center
3. If you have OBDII reader, such as ELM327 + Torque in cellphone, read the coolant temperature
4. It should be reading 98 C or 204 F without heater on (fan off)
5. If heater is on, with lowest speed, it will drop 1 C to 97 C, and each higher fan speed will drop +1 C. With full fan speed, it will read 92 C in -30 C/-22 F cold winter
6. Temperature that below 90 C/194 F or above 100 C/212 F indicates some issues

Potential Issues
1. Coolant temperature sensor at lower coolant hose
2. Coolant temperature sensor at top of engine, next to cylinder 6, and below last intake valve (closest to windshield)
3. Evaporator temperature sensor, above and behind sunglass compartment with green wire
4. Outside ambient temperature sensor
5. Waterpump
6. Thermostat
7. Low radiator coolant
8. Air bubble in radiator coolant

Check Exhaust - for 330i/330Ci
1. Turn off the engine
2. Look at the dual exhaust tail pipe. The one nearer to the center should be closed (there is a butterfly flap). The outside one doesn't has a flap, so it is always open
3. Turn on the engine
4. The inner tail pipe should open, else it is rusted

Check Ambient Temperature Sensor
1. Press the button behind the controller stick on the steering to make the dashboard gauge to display outside ambient temperature
2. Make sure it is displaying a reasonable temperature, and not a low negative number, or extreme high value
3. This is used to control radiator fan, A/C, which could cause radiator to keep running at full speed (lower mpg), or air cond not blowing cold air

thanks bro

Hadzray from Malaysia
hadzray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 12:21 PM   #143
Sturmi

My Ride: s
Hi guys, can I ask if somebody knows what package this car has http://www.cars.bg/c1020250

It has redline up to 6500 not to 6800 as I've red in the first post which is odd. Also I would like to inform you that in Bulgaria there is a lot of imported BMW from UK and this could be one with swithed side of the wheel. So they could of installed different board._nr_
Sturmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 03:40 PM   #144
aleksankazakov

My Ride: 04 E46 330i sport
Send a message via ICQ to aleksankazakov
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturmi View Post
Hi guys, can I ask if somebody knows what package this car has http://www.cars.bg/c1020250

It has redline up to 6500 not to 6800 as I've red in the first post which is odd. Also I would like to inform you that in Bulgaria there is a lot of imported BMW from UK and this could be one with swithed side of the wheel. So they could of installed different board._nr_
I am able to read it well. It says that it is a sports pakage and has SMG
aleksankazakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 06:14 PM   #145
Bigc2016

My Ride: 328i
WOW !! this was some deep and good info very well done.
Bigc2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 08:23 AM   #146
dknightd

My Ride: 2002 330 cic
good info snipped

Quote:
Originally Posted by feels View Post

Check Exhaust - for 330i/330Ci
1. Turn off the engine
2. Look at the dual exhaust tail pipe. The one nearer to the center should be closed (there is a butterfly flap). The outside one doesn't has a flap, so it is always open
3. Turn on the engine
4. The inner tail pipe should open, else it is rusted
You might have this backwards. I think the flap should be open with the engine off. It should be closed with the engine at idle.
dknightd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 09:27 AM   #147
Mango
e46mango.com

My Ride: Lexus
Quote:
Originally Posted by dknightd View Post
good info snipped

You might have this backwards. I think the flap should be open with the engine off. It should be closed with the engine at idle.
Doesn't make sense. You sure? I thought it was closed all the time unless demand is placed on it. Why would it be open, then close, then open again when you give it gas? Vs. just remaining closed and opening only when needed? Maybe someone with a working flap (nobody) can verify.
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 10:01 AM   #148
dknightd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
Doesn't make sense. You sure? I thought it was closed all the time unless demand is placed on it. Why would it be open, then close, then open again when you give it gas? Vs. just remaining closed and opening only when needed? Maybe someone with a working flap (nobody) can verify.
I think it is vacuum activated. With perhaps some electric override. When there is no engine vacuum (i.e. car not running) the valve is open (there is a return spring as near as I can tell). When you start the car, and let it idle, there is high vacuum which pulls the valve closed (which makes the car exhaust quieter) When you floor it, intake vacuum decreases, the valve opens, which give the car a nice throughty exhaust note. There is a vacuum storage canister in the system. When you start a 330 you should hear louder exhaust for the first 5-10 seconds. During that time vacuum is being built up in the canister. When the vacuum is established it pulls the valve closed. I think BMW did this for the exhaust noise only. Nice noise when it starts. Nice and quiet when normal driving (high vacuum). Nice noise when you floor it (low vacuum).

It is possible there are also performance benefits. When gently used (i.e. high engine vacuum) the more restrictive exhaust makes the engine operate more efficiently. When you floor it (i.e. low intake vacuum) a more open exhaust helps make more power. I don't know.

Go out and look at yours. Is it open or closed?

Edit: I think the "golf tee" mod essentially removes vacuum from the valve, which leaves it always open. A stuck valve could be rust, or, a deformed exhaust pipe. Or a bad vacuum leak.

Last edited by dknightd; 08-03-2016 at 10:07 AM.
Old 08-03-2016, 10:28 AM   #149
Mango
e46mango.com

My Ride: Lexus
Quote:
Originally Posted by dknightd View Post
I think it is vacuum activated. With perhaps some electric override. When there is no engine vacuum (i.e. car not running) the valve is open (there is a return spring as near as I can tell). When you start the car, and let it idle, there is high vacuum which pulls the valve closed (which makes the car exhaust quieter) When you floor it, intake vacuum decreases, the valve opens, which give the car a nice throughty exhaust note. There is a vacuum storage canister in the system. When you start a 330 you should hear louder exhaust for the first 5-10 seconds. During that time vacuum is being built up in the canister. When the vacuum is established it pulls the valve closed. I think BMW did this for the exhaust noise only. Nice noise when it starts. Nice and quiet when normal driving (high vacuum). Nice noise when you floor it (low vacuum).

It is possible there are also performance benefits. When gently used (i.e. high engine vacuum) the more restrictive exhaust makes the engine operate more efficiently. When you floor it (i.e. low intake vacuum) a more open exhaust helps make more power. I don't know.

Go out and look at yours. Is it open or closed?

Edit: I think the "golf tee" mod essentially removes vacuum from the valve, which leaves it always open. A stuck valve could be rust, or, a deformed exhaust pipe. Or a bad vacuum leak.
Oh no doubt it opens up for performance when needed and closed when it needs to be quiet (not needed). I don't think it's necessarily for "backpressure." It's just so the car is quiet and refined at idle. who wants that?

My question was why would it be OPEN when the engine is off off only to close again at idle after starting. Unnecessary wear/tear.

Anyway mine was removed several years ago. I pulled the vacuum line and removed the canister up front.
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 10:50 AM   #150
dknightd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
Oh no doubt it opens up for performance when needed and closed when it needs to be quiet (not needed). I don't think it's necessarily for "backpressure." It's just so the car is quiet and refined at idle. who wants that?

My question was why would it be OPEN when the engine is off off only to close again at idle after starting. Unnecessary wear/tear.

Anyway mine was removed several years ago. I pulled the vacuum line and removed the canister up front.
It is open when the car is off so that you get that little roar at start up. Then it goes quiet. I suspect BMW designed that vacuum canister to have just enough volume so the roar goes away after a few seconds. Your car has been modified so the valve always stays open. I assume you plugged the vacuum line. If you are looking for an unmolested 330 that valve should be open when the car is off, then closed when car is idling IMO
Old 09-30-2016, 02:51 PM   #151
awkwordz

My Ride: '00 323i
I would add the tamper light to the original post if someone didn't already post about it. I read over that post before getting my e46 and did most of what was on it, but I didn't know or really notice the light on the odometer until accidentally reading about it on the forum. Needless to say the car I bought that was said to have 74k miles has 112k miles. Not as bad as I thought it was going to be being a 2000, but is still a bummer when you get ripped off like that.

Last edited by awkwordz; 09-30-2016 at 02:52 PM.
awkwordz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 05:17 PM   #152
Mbryant616

My Ride: 2004 325Ci Vert
In LOVE with my E46!!

I wanted to take a moment to express a few things--- I purchased my First BMW on Dec. 1 this past year (5 weeks ago). I found E46Fanatics while doing research on the BMW's, And am I glad I did! I am 58 Years Old and have owned mostly Honda's and Acura's in my 40 years of driving. I am NOT a mechanic but am relatively handy. I decided I wanted a 4-seat convertible, and explored my choices from there. My gorgeous 2004 325Ci Vert was for sale about 5 miles from my home.
After 5 weeks of driving it, and studying these forums to educate myself on the BMW and E46 brand, I feel like I know everything I need to know about this car, (or at least if I have a problem I'll know where to get answers). She's operating very well, although I believe I have a soft-failing T-stat (she runs cold when moving and gets up to temp when idling), but otherwise this car is a dream. I think I understand a bit more everyday why there is so much enthusiam for the E46. Even with its inherant issues, it truly is a joy to drive. I am now looking forward to doing a cooling system refresh ASAP, and can't wait for a nice warm day to drop the top!
Mostly, I want to thank several of the very experienced and knowledgable contributors to this site (Mango, JFOJ, SolidJake, Taylor192, and I know there are others). I hope to be able to give back any way I can. I am truly now an "E46Fanatic"! - Thank you all.

Last edited by Mbryant616; 01-09-2017 at 05:20 PM.
Mbryant616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 06:36 PM   #153
jmo69

My Ride: 03 325xi 98 328is
I don't think your problem is the thermostat, more like air or coolant flow.
Old 02-26-2017, 12:44 AM   #154
rickhaupt

My Ride: '01 330Ci + '03 320i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbryant616 View Post
I wanted to take a moment to express a few things--- I purchased my First BMW on Dec. 1 this past year (5 weeks ago). I found E46Fanatics while doing research on the BMW's, And am I glad I did! I am 58 Years Old and have owned mostly Honda's and Acura's in my 40 years of driving. I am NOT a mechanic but am relatively handy. I decided I wanted a 4-seat convertible, and explored my choices from there. My gorgeous 2004 325Ci Vert was for sale about 5 miles from my home.
After 5 weeks of driving it, and studying these forums to educate myself on the BMW and E46 brand, I feel like I know everything I need to know about this car, (or at least if I have a problem I'll know where to get answers). She's operating very well, although I believe I have a soft-failing T-stat (she runs cold when moving and gets up to temp when idling), but otherwise this car is a dream. I think I understand a bit more everyday why there is so much enthusiam for the E46. Even with its inherant issues, it truly is a joy to drive. I am now looking forward to doing a cooling system refresh ASAP, and can't wait for a nice warm day to drop the top!
Mostly, I want to thank several of the very experienced and knowledgable contributors to this site (Mango, JFOJ, SolidJake, Taylor192, and I know there are others). I hope to be able to give back any way I can. I am truly now an "E46Fanatic"! - Thank you all.

Just saw your post and like you, am not a mechanic but by necessity am learning more. Because my wife and I chose two E46s to drive, we obviously find the attractive but need to know how to care for them. They are fun to drive!

Sent from my iPad using E46Fanatics mobile app
rickhaupt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
325 buyers guide, bmw buyers guide, buyers, e46 buyers guide, guide