E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 21 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-03-2013, 08:41 PM   #1
imDerpz

My Ride: 2003 M3, 2002 330xi
Dinan vs aFe Intake

I know that a Cold air intake probably won't produce a significant HP gain or anything like that but its a affordable simple upgrade I am considering. I've done some research and the two that it comes down to are linked below.

http://afepower.com/shop/details_new...0L&&brandID=53

http://www.dinancars.com/products/3-...ke-System.aspx

From what I have read these sound like the best two options but I wanted to ask someone that has maybe had experience with both which they thought was better. The Dinan website states that theirs adds 13 HP which I don't believe and the aFe has the more reasonable number of 6 HP listed. They are almost the same in price but just wanted to get an expert opinion.

imDerpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-03-2013, 09:24 PM   #2
58ceramicgreen

My Ride: 330Ci Convertible
I don't have any experience with the Dinan intake but I do have the AFE intake and a Dinan exhaust on my 330.
Both from a manufacturer build quality I thought were top notch.
Intake was the first "performance mod" I did to my car, can't say I felt much of a performance increase but it does make a beautiful sound! Makes you want to push the peddle a little harder and rev out a little higher just to hear the induction.
On the Dinan side, again, talking exhaust here but the build quality I found was very impressive, I would assume their intakes would be much the same.
Either choice I would think would be a good one
58ceramicgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 09:28 PM   #3
secono330ci

My Ride: 04' 330ci/15' A3 TDI
The Dinan is a better designed intake IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEI330Ci View Post
Oh...and the "$300 here, $600 there" scenario will turn into "$3000 here, $6000 there". I've had an enourmous amount of labor put into my car. (Luckily the majority of it was done by myself) Also, I've spent over $5k on my tool set since I started my project. You've been warned...
secono330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 09:31 PM   #4
imDerpz

Quote:
Originally Posted by secono330ci View Post
The Dinan is a better designed intake IMO.
Thanks for your opinion. I have read that aFe has a more noticeable sound. I don't want anything super loud and obnoxious but being able to hear a difference would be nice. Is the Dinan sound noticeable? Btw beautiful car.

Old 12-04-2013, 05:35 PM   #5
NoGuru

My Ride: 2002 330ci, 335is Le
I have the afe and love the sound. Can't say anything about the Dinan.
Old 12-04-2013, 11:42 PM   #6
ModBargains III
Sponsor

My Ride: E46
AFE is a great option and in my experience the most popular intake for that car. While it does increase the horsepower, what you will notice the most is the increased induction noise and the increased throttle response. Check it out here: http://www.modbargains.com/aFe-Stage...25-328-330.htm

Give me a call or send me a PM if you have any questions as I am always here to help out fellow fanatics!

Sean S. | Sean@ModBargains.com |(714) 582-3330 ext 8009
We Specialize In: BMW Brakes | BMW Suspension | BMW Parts | BMW Exhaust Experts |
BMW Wheels In Stock | BMW Intake Experts
Hours
: Mon - Fri 8:00am - 6:00pm / Saturday 8:00am - 5:00pm (PST)
Check out our Blog for updates & discounts!
ModBargains III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 11:48 PM   #7
Steven747

My Ride: 05 330ci
if you have a loud enough exhaust you wont be able to hear the intake anyway

i have the dinan long tube intake and like it alot. i would never go for a heat soaked system like those
Steven747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 01:27 PM   #8
imDerpz

Dinan vs aFe Intake

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModBargains III View Post
AFE is a great option and in my experience the most popular intake for that car. While it does increase the horsepower, what you will notice the most is the increased induction noise and the increased throttle response. Check it out here: http://www.modbargains.com/aFe-Stage...25-328-330.htm

Give me a call or send me a PM if you have any questions as I am always here to help out fellow fanatics!
I just checked it out on your website. It says it can't be used if you have xenon headlights which I do. Is there a way around this?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Old 12-05-2013, 01:39 PM   #9
ModBargains III
Sponsor

No as it hits the hood. Check out this intake: http://www.modbargains.com/kn-57-63-...3series-m3.htm

K&N makes a great product and is one of the most reputable products out there. Let me know what you think!

We Specialize In: BMW Brakes | BMW Suspension | BMW Parts | BMW Exhaust Experts |
Hours
Old 12-05-2013, 02:16 PM   #10
imDerpz

Quote:
No as it hits the hood. Check out this intake: http://www.modbargains.com/kn-57-63-...3series-m3.htm

K&N makes a great product and is one of the most reputable products out there. Let me know what you think!
I'm liking the look of this a lot. Great price aswell Might be purchasing this from y'all over the next week or so. Thank's for your input. I will let you know how it goes if I do buy it. One question is how realistic do you think those HP gains are. 9 seems a little unbelievable but I don't know.

Old 12-05-2013, 09:06 PM   #11
Steven747

My Ride: 05 330ci
Dinan vs aFe Intake

Quote:
Originally Posted by imDerpz View Post
I'm liking the look of this a lot. Great price aswell Might be purchasing this from y'all over the next week or so. Thank's for your input. I will let you know how it goes if I do buy it. One question is how realistic do you think those HP gains are. 9 seems a little unbelievable but I don't know.
I prob got 2whp

Steven747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 09:50 PM   #12
imDerpz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven747 View Post
I prob got 2whp

That sounds realistic to me. Thanks for the input.

Old 12-06-2013, 12:54 AM   #13
ModBargains III
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by imDerpz View Post
Give me a call when you decide to get it ordered and I'll take care of it for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven747 View Post
I prob got 2whp

I would say that is fairly realistic, thanks for the input!

Hours
Old 12-06-2013, 10:22 PM   #14
nleksan

My Ride: 328Ci, 325i, M3 ZCP
Send a message via AIM to nleksan
I had the AFE Stg1 but got a pristine carbon fiber Dinan long tube intake for cheap from a friend who was selling his car. What I have now is a frankintake, with the AFE heatshield (quality!) with heat reflective foil, the Dinan tube running into the fender/brake duct area with the biggest AFE ProDryS conical filter I could fit (I have the M-Tech II CF Brake Ducts+Backing Plates from TMS so I fabbed up a little divider that directs air from the center/main grill area of the bumper across the intake filter), and I replaced all the intake tubing/boot with "universal" Samco Sport silicone pieces to both increase longevity and allow for improved airflow.

The overall cost would be way too high to do this with new parts, but I got a lot of the stuff cheap and I think that it's pretty much optimal as far as getting the best, coolest air is concerned. I would say that it's worth a few rwhp but having built up a few E46's (328Ci, 01 325i, '06 330Ci ZHP, 06 M3 ZCP), I can say with some confidence that an intake is absolutely a supporting mod, and contrary to the "I/H/E/C" advice so often given, I would not bother until you have done cams at least. I found a solid 7rwhp and a gain in torque across the entire Rev range, but that was only after having a full head job (the works; Ferrea +1 valves, "angle-free valve job", flow benched + ported + extrude honed I/E ports, titanium valvetrain components, intake/exhaust port entrances matched to manifolds, etc), SS headers and test pipes (RE DMS modified catback), EvoSport pulleys, honed throttle body (bored and New plate), 272/264 cams, VAC dampener, 10.5lb flywheel and Stage2 sprung hub clutch, and the bottom end rebuild w Carillo rods/CP pistons/lightened blueprinted and knife edged crank to lose weight in reciprocating parts for >7krpm use and increase compression as high as 93oct will allow w a margin of error; ARP fasteners for the entire engine, and I think that's all the big stuff).
Only after all that did the intake REALLY do anything. Plus, this was for track use although it retained it's tags (but @ 2900lbs or so, with CF/Kevlar PP's, mix of solid and semi-solid suspension and drivetrain bushings/mounts, JRZ dampers w high rate linear Springs, widened fenders to accommodate 18x10 square or up to 18x11 in back w aggressive offsets to clear the 355/355 6p/4p BBK, and so forth, it's not like I was taking any dates out in it!).

Currently, I am experimenting with making my own intake, much in the same vein as the BW E36 track intake. Basically a medium gauge heat-treated aluminum box, open at the front and with provisions for the kidney grill inlet, and an angled tapered extension to the bumper inlet area, and using either a giant cone or giant panel filter inside.
If I could ditch the headlights and use those beautiful CF blanks, I have no doubt that it would be an incredibly effective setup, but we'll see how it works regardless. If it is anything worthwhile, I plan to post a thread on how to diy.

- DPE - Volk - BBS - OE CSL - JRZ Race 4Way -
- M-Tech II - RE - AP Radi-CAL -
- Hotchkis - AFE - AKG - KW CS 4way -
- TMS - OS Giken - SS V1 - Vorsteiner - Recaro - Focal - JL - MORE! -
GARAGE:
-00 328Ci Topaz 6MT ZSP/ZPP/HID (Street) ESS TSE2+ 2980lb
-01 325i TiAg 5MT/ZSP/ZCW (Street) Track Susp/Brk/Whl 3102lb
-06 M3 AW/IR 6MT/ZCP/HID (Dual-purpose) NA Fully-Built 2810lb
nleksan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 12:40 PM   #15
TrentW

My Ride: 89 325is, 05 325xiT
Quote:

I just talked to Bav Auto (they have the AFe on sale right now) and Jesse said the Afe intake WILL fit an E46 w/xenons. He had one on his 325iT w/xenons and said it fit just fine. He said he wishes he would've removed it before he sold the car-really happy with it.
TrentW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 01:32 PM   #16
imDerpz

Dinan vs aFe Intake

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentW View Post
I just talked to Bav Auto (they have the AFe on sale right now) and Jesse said the Afe intake WILL fit an E46 w/xenons. He had one on his 325iT w/xenons and said it fit just fine. He said he wishes he would've removed it before he sold the car-really happy with it.
Interesting. I will check it out later

Old 12-12-2013, 10:39 AM   #17
partyvi

My Ride: '02 330Ci
Just my 2 cents here, but Dinan advertises 13hp with the Stage 2 software, as they say it's required (or recommended) with the air intake purchase, so that probably explains the difference between it and the aFe intake.
partyvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 10:45 AM   #18
imDerpz

Dinan vs aFe Intake

Quote:
Originally Posted by partyvi View Post
Just my 2 cents here, but Dinan advertises 13hp with the Stage 2 software, as they say it's required (or recommended) with the air intake purchase, so that probably explains the difference between it and the aFe intake.
That makes sense. I forgot that it was taking into account the software.

Old 12-17-2013, 05:22 AM   #19
JTripper

My Ride: 3dirtyci
Dinan vs aFe Intake

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1387275409.435417.jpg
Views:	693
Size:	199.3 KB
ID:	539111 i'm running this now, along with depo p46's, and love it!! I definitely feel the difference, especially when the weather gets colder! I've never dynoed this car but i'd guestimate around 6-8 hp more. Im about to put the pre filter on shortly.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1387275658.952912.jpg
Views:	522
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	539112Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1387275712.770538.jpg
Views:	579
Size:	160.9 KB
ID:	539113

@BMWorNADA
BMWCCA
///MPIREBOYZ#239
1st Gen. AC Schnitzer Strut Bar, M3 Face, Gunmetal VMR V710FF 18x8.5/9.5 , AEM Logger & longtube CAI, H&R Sport Cup Springs and Front Struts, Koni Rears, Reinforced Towers, Int. Trim Wrapped, Custom FX-R Retrofit , 3k Fogs, Frosted WeissLichts, 8 Track Player with Dolby.
JTripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 11:40 AM   #20
TrentW

My Ride: 89 325is, 05 325xiT
Does that cone filter clear the front fender liner or do you need to leave it off?
TrentW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
afe, air, cold, dinan, intake