E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-31-2014, 07:01 PM   #1
funny677

My Ride: 2005 325ci Conv.
NO Control lights! Turn signal and high beams go on by themselves.

While driving, my turn signal (mostly left one) and the high beams go on at the same time without me touching anything! They stay on for a few minutes and then go off. Dangerous sometimes. I lose all control of the headlights also. Can't turn headlights on or off. Its like my whole system freezes only with my left or right turn signal on and high beams on.
Even when I shut the car off, sometimes the parking lights will just stay on until I start and stop the car a few times.
Seems to happen more when its wet out, but it also has happened a few times after 4 days of bone dry weather. Only happened like once a week and now after a few months its happening way more often.

FYI: 2 years ago I had an after market security system(Python) put in and radar detector wired direct and a satellite radio wired direct and angel eyes put in.
But I have not had any problems for 2 years even with all that stuff put in the car until recently. Its dangerous to drive now with blinkers going on and off whenever they decide they want to go on. What do you think? Something simple like a relay or LCM? or..?
Thanks everyone!

Almost done...
funny677 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-31-2014, 07:26 PM   #2
ReIntegration

My Ride: 2003 BMW 330Ci
Send a message via AIM to ReIntegration
Hey man I feel if it anything related to the LCM I would get that checked out right away. There are quite a few stories floating around with car fires starting in the LCM and when it's wet outside. Please get that checked out. Anything electrical related that poses a problem can in the end be fatal to your car or worse. In the end it could be a short somewhere.
2003 330Ci (Current & original owner - Born on 1.10.03)(Had it since new born. Delivered from Regensburg on 2.24.03)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordecai
Ready to get destroyed?

Last edited by ReIntegration; 03-31-2014 at 07:28 PM.
ReIntegration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 08:28 PM   #3
scottjoh

My Ride: '99 323i & '02 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by funny677 View Post
Something simple like a relay or LCM? or..?
Not something simple, definitely an LCM problem (actually LSZ in the E46).
scottjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 09:02 PM   #4
funny677

Don't want my baby going up in flames for sure! Will have to get right on this.

Almost done...
Old 03-31-2014, 09:04 PM   #5
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
Quote:
While driving, my turn signal (mostly left one) and the high beams go on at the same time without me touching anything! They stay on for a few minutes and then go off. Dangerous sometimes. I lose all control of the headlights also. Can't turn headlights on or off. Its like my whole system freezes only with my left or right turn signal on and high beams on.
Even when I shut the car off, sometimes the parking lights will just stay on until I start and stop the car a few times.
Seems to happen more when its wet out, but it also has happened a few times after 4 days of bone dry weather. Only happened like once a week and now after a few months its happening way more often.

FYI: 2 years ago I had an after market security system(Python) put in and radar detector wired direct and a satellite radio wired direct and angel eyes put in.
But I have not had any problems for 2 years even with all that stuff put in the car until recently. Its dangerous to drive now with blinkers going on and off whenever they decide they want to go on. What do you think? Something simple like a relay or LCM? or..?
Thanks everyone!
My money is on a failed turn signal/light switch. Does the turn signal stalk feel funny?
jdstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 09:15 PM   #6
funny677

If you don't mind me asking, how sure do you think its the LSZ?
If I switch out the LSZ, do you think that will do the trick?
I just saw a video on it and it looks pretty simple to swap out.
I'm going to swap out a used one in good working condition and see how that works.
Do I need a dealer to reprogram it do you know if its used and not new?

Almost done...
Old 03-31-2014, 09:17 PM   #7
funny677

Turn signal stalk feels fine. Would that effect my high beams and regular lights and me having no control as to when they go on or off?

Almost done...
Old 03-31-2014, 11:33 PM   #8
EDWAGON

My Ride: 2004 325xiT
I have had my headlights go on and off while driving at night has happen 2 times in 5 years of ownership. I have non hid with auto headlights. Never had it checked, subscribed....
Old 04-01-2014, 12:12 AM   #9
scottjoh

My Ride: '99 323i & '02 540i
Quote:
If you don't mind me asking, how sure do you think its the LSZ?
If I switch out the LSZ, do you think that will do the trick?
I just saw a video on it and it looks pretty simple to swap out.
I'm going to swap out a used one in good working condition and see how that works.
Do I need a dealer to reprogram it do you know if its used and not new?
Pretty sure. Nothing external to the LSZ could cause the problems you describe.
Yeah, it's a piece of cake to get out and swap in a new one, but, a new one will need to be coded which will require a trip to the dealer or someone with computer/software to program it.
Yeah, you can swap in a used one as a test. Just don't drive to more than 100 km with it in or you may have a problem with mileage tamper when you swap back.
Officially you can not reprogram a used LSZ to your car. You need a virgin one and then need to get it programmed to the car. Now if you don't care about the drop in resale value just use a compatible used one and live with the tamper dot. In California you are required to explain the mileage tamper by filling a mileage discrepancy form with the DMV which cost about $10. You fill in the original mileage and the new mileage and why it's different. No big deal if the car isn't worth much anyway.
scottjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 12:17 AM   #10
dwtaylorpdx

My Ride: 2005 330xi
This was the first symptom when my battery died...
Old 04-01-2014, 12:49 PM   #11
jdstrickland

Quote:
Turn signal stalk feels fine. Would that effect my high beams and regular lights and me having no control as to when they go on or off?
Yes, it could.

You say the regular lights are going on, but what if only the high beams were turning on? It might look like the main lighting from the driver's seat, but the real test of the main lights is if the tail lamps are also coming on.

My money is still on the turn signal stalk. That's where I would start my troubleshooting. Test #1 is to manipulate the turn signal stalk and see if I could cause the malfunction to repeat. Test #2 is that when the problem happens, manipulate the turn signal stalk and see if you can make it stop. If you cannot start or stop the problem, then move on to computer/controller stuff. Isolate the mechanical causes first.

Replacing the turn signal stalk/switch (also called a combination -- or combo -- switch) is pretty easy. You have to remove the steering wheel and the covers above and below the steering column. BE ADVISED that if you turn the ignition switch on while the steering wheel is off, you will set an airbag fault that you cannot reset at home unless you happen to have a Peake Research scan tool that has the SRS feature.

If the turn signal switch is having a mechanical fault, you should be able see broken parts somewhere. You may or may not feel it.
Old 04-01-2014, 01:08 PM   #12
funny677

The tail lights also come on. They even stay on after the car is shut off until I start and turn off the car a few times until they finally go off.
That is probably why that dudes battery went dead in the previous note?

Almost done...
Old 04-01-2014, 01:11 PM   #13
funny677

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjoh View Post
Pretty sure. Nothing external to the LSZ could cause the problems you describe.
Yeah, it's a piece of cake to get out and swap in a new one, but, a new one will need to be coded which will require a trip to the dealer or someone with computer/software to program it.
Yeah, you can swap in a used one as a test. Just don't drive to more than 100 km with it in or you may have a problem with mileage tamper when you swap back.
Officially you can not reprogram a used LSZ to your car. You need a virgin one and then need to get it programmed to the car. Now if you don't care about the drop in resale value just use a compatible used one and live with the tamper dot. In California you are required to explain the mileage tamper by filling a mileage discrepancy form with the DMV which cost about $10. You fill in the original mileage and the new mileage and why it's different. No big deal if the car isn't worth much anyway.
Ok, thank you for the advice. I'm going to switch it out and see if it does the trick and if it does, then I will go to the dealer and have it recoded.
I'll be psyched if this fixes the problem. Thank you and thank everyone on here for their help. I'll come back on after I try it out and give the results.

Thanks everyone!

Almost done...
Old 04-01-2014, 01:19 PM   #14
jdstrickland

Quote:
Ok, thank you for the advice. I'm going to switch it out and see if it does the trick and if it does, then I will go to the dealer and have it recoded.
I'll be psyched if this fixes the problem. Thank you and thank everyone on here for their help. I'll come back on after I try it out and give the results.

Thanks everyone!
It's a feature of the car to turn on the street-side lights when the car is parked at the curb. In the USA, this means the left side lights can be left on while the car is at the curb. My kid discovered this by hitting the stalk and pushing it down while exiting the car. My E36 does not have this feature, or it's not on if it is there, but the E46 has it. She has to take care now to be sure the street-side lights are not on when she leaves the car.

You still have not isolated the turn signal stalk.
Old 04-01-2014, 02:17 PM   #15
mack89

My Ride: '02 TIAG 330i 5spd
I wonder why nobody brought blinker fluid joke. Is it too old? Lol
You definitely should see if the turn signal switch is having a mechanical problem. Plastic ball joint should be holding the shaft firmly, it should only move in four directions. It should not behave like that unless it's loosen and making contact with metal contacts freely. Plus, having a software/scanner that can read modules will make it easier to diagnose. If no DTC stored in LCM module, it's mechanical issue. If something's stored and indicates LCM problem, it's electrical issue. Process of elimination, my friend. Don't just randomly replace parts and hoping to fix the problem.
Old 04-05-2014, 07:33 PM   #16
funny677

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdstrickland View Post
Yes, it could.

You say the regular lights are going on, but what if only the high beams were turning on? It might look like the main lighting from the driver's seat, but the real test of the main lights is if the tail lamps are also coming on.

My money is still on the turn signal stalk. That's where I would start my troubleshooting. Test #1 is to manipulate the turn signal stalk and see if I could cause the malfunction to repeat. Test #2 is that when the problem happens, manipulate the turn signal stalk and see if you can make it stop. If you cannot start or stop the problem, then move on to computer/controller stuff. Isolate the mechanical causes first.

Replacing the turn signal stalk/switch (also called a combination -- or combo -- switch) is pretty easy. You have to remove the steering wheel and the covers above and below the steering column. BE ADVISED that if you turn the ignition switch on while the steering wheel is off, you will set an airbag fault that you cannot reset at home unless you happen to have a Peake Research scan tool that has the SRS feature.

If the turn signal switch is having a mechanical fault, you should be able see broken parts somewhere. You may or may not feel it.

I tried manipulating the stalk to have it cause the problem and nothing happened.
When the left turn signal and high beams went on without me touching anything, I manipulated the stalk and the only thing I could get done was have the right turn signal go on instead of the left one. But it didn't shut it off.

On a separate note, when I'm not having the issue, I can pull back on the stalk and my high beams go on as they should, but when I push the stalk forward to have the high beams on constant, they don't go on.

Does any of that help the diagnosis?

I do have an extra LSZ used one and have been meaning to try to switch it out and see if it does the trick. Guy that owned the care before me had some electrical issue with the LSZ because there are 2 blue wires sticking out of it... looks like someone did some kind of "quick fix" or something to it?

Tuesday I'm having an alarm/radar detector/satellite radio/ installer guy go through all of that wiring in my car and make sure its all hooked up correctly because my "error" printout on my electronics in my car is 2 pages long.

Almost done...
Old 05-10-2016, 05:17 AM   #17
tu90

My Ride: e46
Hello!

I have the same problem, only when the blinker to the left turn, the high beam is switched on always (when trun left off, the high beam is off), and when i turn on EMERGENCY HAZARD FLASHER the high beam is switched on one time and then off.

funny677 or anyone else has solved the problem?

my lcm

Last edited by tu90; 05-10-2016 at 05:20 AM. Reason: photo lcm
tu90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 12:28 PM   #18
tu90

My Ride: e46
i buy used LCM, now its work!!!

Last edited by tu90; 07-07-2016 at 12:29 PM.
tu90 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
headlights, high beams, lcm, turn signal, wiring problem