Question on Rear Differential - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Motorsports & Track Forum > Spec E46 racing class forum

Spec E46 racing class forum
Official Spec E46 racing class forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-07-2014, 07:53 PM   #1
Greg H

My Ride: 2001 330i
Question on Rear Differential

Current Rule:
"Upgraded differential is permitted using a 3.46 gear ratio, factory housing, flanges, and mounting points.
The internal parts of the differential are otherwise unrestricted, including the use of limited slip units."
Based on my research the E46 330 did not come with a 3.46 differential. Manual trans was 2.93, and Auto trans was 3.38. The E46 325 automatic came with 3.46 ratio.

My question is; Can I use the 3.38 ratio from a 330, or must I find a 3.46 diff from a 325?

Greg Hartman

Last edited by Greg H; 12-07-2014 at 07:55 PM.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-08-2014, 04:06 PM   #2
jtower

My Ride: spec e46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg H View Post
Can I use the 3.38 ratio from a 330
no

Last edited by jtower; 12-08-2014 at 04:06 PM.
jtower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 07:14 PM   #3
Greg H

My Ride: 2001 330i
No problem, I have to buy one either way. This is my first build, so I was hoping for more info on the benefits of the 3.46, or why that was ratio was selected as the ratio of choice. I have a 2001 330i, manual, which has been my daily driver for the last 10 years. I plan to convert it to a SpecE46 over the next year.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 06:22 PM   #4
C Evans

My Ride: SpecE46
What differentials have been used in the existing builds?

Can you confirm model/transmission that the 3.46 came in?

Thanks you!
C Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 06:33 PM   #5
jtower

My Ride: spec e46
contact dan at diffsonline, he's forgotten more about bmw diffs than most of us will ever know
jtower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 06:44 PM   #6
RedefinedM3

My Ride: '93 332i
Send a message via AIM to RedefinedM3 Send a message via MSN to RedefinedM3
Most are not using stock bmw diffs. Buying aftermarket ones with the specs they want as long as it meets the rules.

**Some people are like slinkies, they are not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs**
RedefinedM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 10:44 AM   #7
Evanschro

Will an m3 differential fit in a 330i ZHP?
Evanschro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 05:06 PM   #8
Andy2108

My Ride: SpecE46 & E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evanschro View Post
Will an m3 differential fit in a 330i ZHP?
no. and neither a M3 diff nor a ZHP is allowed in SE46, just so you know.

De gustibus non est disputandum.
Andy2108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 05:18 PM   #9
Evanschro

What do you mean that it isn't allowed
Old 03-30-2015, 09:31 AM   #10
the_iceman

My Ride: 99 323i RIP,01 330ci
Quote:
I hope you're not building a ZHP because unless the rule has changed recently that I am unaware the ZHPs are not allowed in the SE46.

But to answer your diff question.....an M3 diff does not have the 3.46 that you need. your options are to get an e30 325 diff. or an e85/86 Z4 diff which is probably our best bet due to price and how easy they are to find. there are a few random other selections but probably will be harder to find. I've included a link with all the gear ratios for a good majority of models. keep in mind that there are automatics listed as well so when youre looking just keep that in mind.

http://www.bokchoys.com/differential/GearRatios.htm
the_iceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 09:40 AM   #11
Rob43

My Ride: 03 331Ci 5spd R1200R
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_iceman View Post
I hope you're not building a ZHP because unless the rule has changed recently that I am unaware the ZHPs are not allowed in the SE46.

But to answer your diff question.....an M3 diff does not have the 3.46 that you need. your options are to get an e30 325 diff. or an e85/86 Z4 diff which is probably our best bet due to price and how easy they are to find. there are a few random other selections but probably will be harder to find. I've included a link with all the gear ratios for a good majority of models. keep in mind that there are automatics listed as well so when youre looking just keep that in mind.

http://www.bokchoys.com/differential/GearRatios.htm

What's so very amusing is this brand new member (Evanschro) doesn't realize he's asking his question in a sub forum dedicated to SE46,........he's just asking this question just because, & it has nothing to do with him wanting to build a spec car.

Rob43

Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 SCCA
(DynoDynamics https:vimeo.com/8486878 Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

I BUILD SUSPENSIONS (Consult) FROM MILD TO WILD FOR RWD & Xi E46's
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
I Know How To Fix The Rear "Bouncing" Problem On Your Cheap Coilovers Like: Jom RL FK SE & RK.
Rob43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 09:42 AM   #12
the_iceman

My Ride: 99 323i RIP,01 330ci
Quote:
No problem, I have to buy one either way. This is my first build, so I was hoping for more info on the benefits of the 3.46, or why that was ratio was selected as the ratio of choice. I have a 2001 330i, manual, which has been my daily driver for the last 10 years. I plan to convert it to a SpecE46 over the next year.
I honestly dont know what went into the class creators decision to use this ratio however from what i understand (i could be completely wrong) the 3.46 will help with acceleration and put the car in the more usable power band. it also means that 5th gear is now a usable gear allowing for continued acceleration on longer straights. I dont know about anyone else but the OEM ratio in my car 5th gear is basically pointless on the track. I'm guessing they wanted to correct that. the trade off is a lower top speed although how much i dont know because i have yet to drive one installed. Maybe someone can confirm this who is already running with it???

also this is just based on my own research as i am starting my build so if i am totally wrong please someone correct me.

Last edited by the_iceman; 03-30-2015 at 09:55 AM.
the_iceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 07:51 PM   #13
Evanschro

Ya I just had a question
Old 04-01-2015, 11:08 AM   #14
wanganstyle

My Ride: e36 M3 / E30 GTS1
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_iceman View Post
I honestly dont know what went into the class creators decision to use this ratio however from what i understand (i could be completely wrong) the 3.46 will help with acceleration and put the car in the more usable power band. it also means that 5th gear is now a usable gear allowing for continued acceleration on longer straights. I dont know about anyone else but the OEM ratio in my car 5th gear is basically pointless on the track. I'm guessing they wanted to correct that. the trade off is a lower top speed although how much i dont know because i have yet to drive one installed. Maybe someone can confirm this who is already running with it???

also this is just based on my own research as i am starting my build so if i am totally wrong please someone correct me.
I have experience on this subject: my e46 had a 3,46 LSD fitted.

3,46 is the most common differential avail in the non-M e46 world; virtually 1/2 the automatic cars had it. finding a core unit should not be a problem for most SE46 racers as you WILL need to have a spare in your trailer - BMW does NOT sell new bearings/races for these units intentionally.

Most competitive NASA GTS/BMW IP club racers here in nor-cal are running 3,91 final drive with 7,000rpm engines and 4,10 with 8,000 rpm engines. 3,46 will be too long for the elevations at Laguna Seca and Sonoma but likely good for Big willow and Road america, TWS, etc

Quote:
Current Rule:
"Upgraded differential is permitted using a 3.46 gear ratio, factory housing, flanges, and mounting points.
The internal parts of the differential are otherwise unrestricted, including the use of limited slip units."
Based on my research the E46 330 did not come with a 3.46 differential. Manual trans was 2.93, and Auto trans was 3.38. The E46 325 automatic came with 3.46 ratio.

My question is; Can I use the 3.38 ratio from a 330, or must I find a 3.46 diff from a 325?

Greg Hartman
if the spec class is set to 3,46 its a good overall compromise for all tracks; also cost effective to obtain spares for. This is the same reason why SE30 has the original 3,73 final drive as the "spec" ratio

What you actually put in your car is your own choice; wording seems to allow for Not upgrading and using the original open diff and 3,38.

S54B32 E36 M3 DTA S100 Sedan Street car full swap:
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1437471

E30 M20 2,7L Alpina + Euro E46 320D ZF 6 speed install
http://www.e30tech.com/forum/showthread.php?t=110010

Last edited by wanganstyle; 04-01-2015 at 11:10 AM.
wanganstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 07:21 PM   #15
POINTBY

My Ride: Spec E46
Why are the diffs so damn expensive? That was one of the factors that almost turned me off from building a SE46. And I still haven't purchased anything yet as I'm trying to understand this more and either answer my own question and figure out a "cheaper" way to get a good diff, or I'll wind up spending the money anyways....

Last edited by POINTBY; 05-03-2015 at 07:22 PM.
POINTBY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 12:53 AM   #16
wanganstyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by POINTBY View Post
Why are the diffs so damn expensive? That was one of the factors that almost turned me off from building a SE46. And I still haven't purchased anything yet as I'm trying to understand this more and either answer my own question and figure out a "cheaper" way to get a good diff, or I'll wind up spending the money anyways....
if you want to be "cheap" a M-factory unit is under 1k. This might not produce desired lap times though; the only reason there is a demand for aftermarket differentials is lap time.
Any given NASA weekend here in Norcal there will be a variety of aftermarket very customized LSD differential units on the podium.

Last edited by wanganstyle; 05-05-2015 at 12:55 AM.
Old 05-06-2015, 09:40 AM   #17
Jonathan @ BimmerWorld
Sponsor

My Ride: M3/LMR-3
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanganstyle View Post
the only reason there is a demand for aftermarket differentials is lap time.
Definitely one of the biggest reasons, and that applies to just about every part you'd want to think about installing/replacing on the car, especially in a spec series.

Longevity and customization are other huge reasons to go with a solid differential choice. A properly setup diff design results in more active surfaces for better handling (turn-in and putting power down through the exit) plus the ability to optimize ramp angles for less preload lock and better mid-corner speed. Utilizing REM-polished gears and carrier bearings will make for lower operating temperatures (longevity) and lower friction (less drivetrain loss = more "power" to the ground).

Jonathan
BimmerWorld
Race Proven Performance
www.bimmerworld.com
www.bimmerworldracing.com
Jonathan @ BimmerWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 11:30 AM   #18
wanganstyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan @ BimmerWorld View Post
Definitely one of the biggest reasons, and that applies to just about every part you'd want to think about installing/replacing on the car, especially in a spec series.

Longevity and customization are other huge reasons to go with a solid differential choice. A properly setup diff design results in more active surfaces for better handling (turn-in and putting power down through the exit) plus the ability to optimize ramp angles for less preload lock and better mid-corner speed. Utilizing REM-polished gears and carrier bearings will make for lower operating temperatures (longevity) and lower friction (less drivetrain loss = more "power" to the ground).
A gear type differential would also accomplish all of the above ( at the lack of ability to preform in wheel lift situations like a clutch type unit). Obviously total lockup does not happen besides for a Torsen-Gleason.

Vintage era an am racing involved many TORSEN-GLEASON units. Sadly none avail for BMW applications; perhaps bimmerworld could look into it for the future; )

The os units and highly modified zf units are quite popular among the NASA crowd. A stock ZF can suffice but is honestly barely adequate.

In GTS3/4 you almost need an aftermarket Japanese unit to be competitive; it's about 0.5 seconds a lap average depending on track here; the real advantages in aftermarket units like Cusco, OS, is the dampening of lockup with internal mechanisms.

Last edited by wanganstyle; 05-10-2015 at 11:31 AM.
Old 05-13-2015, 08:17 AM   #19
BrainofJJJ

My Ride: SPEC E46, 17 CTSV
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanganstyle View Post
A gear type differential would also accomplish all of the above ( at the lack of ability to preform in wheel lift situations like a clutch type unit). Obviously total lockup does not happen besides for a Torsen-Gleason.

Vintage era an am racing involved many TORSEN-GLEASON units. Sadly none avail for BMW applications; perhaps bimmerworld could look into it for the future; )

The os units and highly modified zf units are quite popular among the NASA crowd. A stock ZF can suffice but is honestly barely adequate.

In GTS3/4 you almost need an aftermarket Japanese unit to be competitive; it's about 0.5 seconds a lap average depending on track here; the real advantages in aftermarket units like Cusco, OS, is the dampening of lockup with internal mechanisms.
Would you choose say a torsen Wavetrac over a traditional 3 clutch unit for road racing?
BrainofJJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 11:53 PM   #20
wanganstyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainofJJJ View Post
Would you choose say a torsen Wavetrac over a traditional 3 clutch unit for road racing?
I never use 3 clutches for circut. Only 2 or 4 or 20+ in Japanese units.

(I run a CUSCO HYBRID in my own e36)

Wavetrac is good and only recommended for automatic street cars.

Tags
differential, spece46