E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-30-2015, 12:42 AM   #21
Cufftofist

My Ride: 01 330i
Started playing your video and had to second guess myself whether I posted about it and forgot because I just recorded a very similar video 3 weeks ago of mine making that same exact sound...hadn't gotten around to researching it yet as its been sitting in the driveway waiting on other repairs.

Any who, glad to hear you figured it out!

What was the fix like? Cost/time/difficulty/parts/DIY?!
Cufftofist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 11:56 AM   #22
traxnox

My Ride: 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cufftofist View Post
Started playing your video and had to second guess myself whether I posted about it and forgot because I just recorded a very similar video 3 weeks ago of mine making that same exact sound...hadn't gotten around to researching it yet as its been sitting in the driveway waiting on other repairs.

Any who, glad to hear you figured it out!

What was the fix like? Cost/time/difficulty/parts/DIY?!
$505 for parts, got the full oem kit from esc tuning. I had a master mechanic install it. To much work. if you got just the tensioners it wouldn't be bad, bottom one is easy to take out. 10 min max. Top one will be a challenge though
traxnox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 01:15 PM   #23
dynamik

My Ride: 2001 330i
I have the same exact sound on my 01 330i. Some people said this was normal, guess i'll have to look at the tensioners as well. Only thing with mine is that I hear it mainly when the AC is on, but when I turn it off, the rattling goes away.
dynamik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 01:42 PM   #24
traxnox

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamik View Post
I have the same exact sound on my 01 330i. Some people said this was normal, guess i'll have to look at the tensioners as well. Only thing with mine is that I hear it mainly when the AC is on, but when I turn it off, the rattling goes away.
Well you have to remember, on e46 there are many many many things under the hood that can make that rattling noise. This was a new one though. Typically it's the disa value which are totally Prone to failure being made out of plastic instead of aluminum. Then you also have to search for lose bolts around the front end of the car. Also check to see if the bolt didn't fall out of the dip stick tube because the tube can rattle against the side of the engine. You also have to check all the heat shielding around the manifold and exhaust pipe to make sure it is properly secured. The water pump makes a similar sound when it's going bad so the best thing to do is take the belt off and check that unit for bearing slop. Another thing that is common is the VANOS which will make a similar rattling noise. So lots of things to check. Normally it's not a chain tensioner.
Old 02-08-2016, 01:49 PM   #25
traxnox

So I want to wake this old forum up again. The car started rattling again. And it's the exact same as it was in the video. Car only rattles in park at idle. If you touch the gas it goes away. Any other ideas?
Old 02-12-2016, 01:47 AM   #26
SSchwab

My Ride: 05 325xi
A mechanical belt tensioner can rattle at idle. Take off the belt while the engine is still warm, and start it up. If the rattle is gone, try loosening and retightening the two bolts on the tensioner a little and reinstalling the belt.

I switched to the hydraulic tensioner that has three mounting bolts instead of two and my year long rattle went away.
SSchwab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 07:16 AM   #27
traxnox

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSchwab View Post
A mechanical belt tensioner can rattle at idle. Take off the belt while the engine is still warm, and start it up. If the rattle is gone, try loosening and retightening the two bolts on the tensioner a little and reinstalling the belt.

I switched to the hydraulic tensioner that has three mounting bolts instead of two and my year long rattle went away.

Unfortunately I tried this. Initially I though it could have been the water pump so I took both belts off. Still rattled away.
Old 02-12-2016, 02:58 PM   #28
tristero

My Ride: 2004 e46 ZHP convert
I had two rattles on my ZHP.
1. Was my VANOS, which only happened just off-idle, between about 1000-1500 rpm. I never really zeroed in on it with the stethoscope, but I installed Beisan's anti-rattle kit, and it's definitely gone. There was a measurable difference in VANOS piston axial play before/after. (as far as the SEALS go, I'm not convinced that they do anything, and I am betting that a good portion of people who say that it improved their car, probably just fixed a valve cover leak they didn't know they had).

2. The other rattle, SOUNDED like it came from my intake. It only happened at idle (or near idle). The sound disappears completely when I press-in the clutch. I traced it down with the stethoscope (mine was not $200, it was more like $10), and it's DEFINITELY coming from my MT. Some people online say that this is a bad input shaft seal, and others say that it's "totally normal" for the Getrag box. I'm counting on the latter. A pre-emptive transmission rebuild is NOT in my plan. Anyway, this is just an example of a rattle sound that I originally thought was coming from the motor, but was actually coming from my gearbox. It's only audible at idle, and when the car is in neutral, and the clutch is not in.

My fuel injectors are also the source of some noise; but it's more of a rapid click sound than a rattle.

The rattle in your video sounds like neither of these, by the way.
Old 02-12-2016, 03:18 PM   #29
SSchwab

My Ride: 05 325xi
I put a heavier duty spring on the lower belt tensioner to get rid of a chain slap sound. I don't recall the source of the spring, but believe I got the idea from a post here or on another forum.
SSchwab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 07:17 PM   #30
traxnox

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSchwab View Post
I put a heavier duty spring on the lower belt tensioner to get rid of a chain slap sound. I don't recall the source of the spring, but believe I got the idea from a post here or on another forum.

Actually I have done a heavier spring on the chain, used the one from the m3. The upper tensioner was just a BMW original for the 3 series.
Old 02-12-2016, 07:20 PM   #31
traxnox

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristero View Post
I had two rattles on my ZHP.
1. Was my VANOS, which only happened just off-idle, between about 1000-1500 rpm. I never really zeroed in on it with the stethoscope, but I installed Beisan's anti-rattle kit, and it's definitely gone. There was a measurable difference in VANOS piston axial play before/after. (as far as the SEALS go, I'm not convinced that they do anything, and I am betting that a good portion of people who say that it improved their car, probably just fixed a valve cover leak they didn't know they had).

2. The other rattle, SOUNDED like it came from my intake. It only happened at idle (or near idle). The sound disappears completely when I press-in the clutch. I traced it down with the stethoscope (mine was not $200, it was more like $10), and it's DEFINITELY coming from my MT. Some people online say that this is a bad input shaft seal, and others say that it's "totally normal" for the Getrag box. I'm counting on the latter. A pre-emptive transmission rebuild is NOT in my plan. Anyway, this is just an example of a rattle sound that I originally thought was coming from the motor, but was actually coming from my gearbox. It's only audible at idle, and when the car is in neutral, and the clutch is not in.

My fuel injectors are also the source of some noise; but it's more of a rapid click sound than a rattle.

The rattle in your video sounds like neither of these, by the way.

I tried the VANOS seals and it did nothing, I haven't tried the anti rattle kit yet.

The sound is coming from the intake manifold, but what's interesting is I have the automatic transmission. It's actually the GM made one since I have an XI.

Do you think it would be worth spending the 4 hours ripping the VANOS apart again to try the anti rattle kit?

And the rattle only happens at idle, maybe to 1000rpm Max.
Old 02-17-2016, 03:00 AM   #32
tristero

My Ride: 2004 e46 ZHP convert
The anti rattle kit is a little more difficult than just the seals. but only a little. But I guess your rattle is definitely not gearbox related.
Old 02-17-2016, 09:10 PM   #33
traxnox

Starting to think I'm going to do that anti rattle kit. Probably next month. I still have to do a CCV and I'm procrastinating that bad. Nervous I won't be able to get it in

Tags
330xi, e46, rattling sound