E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-18-2015, 04:21 AM   #1
davindersangha

My Ride: BMW 316ti Compact
E46 Compact 316ti cutting out / battery light on and off

Been on Bimmerforums and posted threads, but thought I'd create one here.

From time to time, the E46 cuts out when driving. Sometimes it's just a moment, but the car jumps a little bit and then comes back. It's almost seamless driving.

It also happened once when it was idle. It juddered and tried to stay on, but switched off. The battery light comes on, a bleep emits and then sometimes the engine management light and engine exclamation mark light comes on. Sometimes the airbag.

These lights also come on after it does this in movement. However, these lights always go off, or go off once I've stopped and started up again.

I've noticed in the last few days one of the reasons why it does cut out (but not the actual fault reason).

Driving along the motorway, on a slight incline. Doing around 50/60 and around 2,800 revs in 5th gear, before easing off the gas pedal to reduce my MPG dial to around 45/50.

That's when it switches off and back on a couple of times. The battery light flashes and then I have the warning yellow light and the engine light. These then tend to stay on, but sometimes they go off.

Is this a fuel filter issue? It seems that if the car is on a hill the fuel might be cutting out, causing this problem - or it's a sensor issue.

In any event, I got the car this June, so taking it back to the dealer to investigate.

Looking online, it seems to be a regular problem and the camshaft and crank sensor need looking at.
davindersangha is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-18-2015, 08:31 AM   #2
markusmarkus

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
Any codes?

Electrical issues come to mind. Check the ground strap that's on the right side of the engine under the exhaust manifold. A poor ground/earth connection will cause the engine to act funky.
markusmarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 10:38 AM   #3
davindersangha

I'm taking the car back to the place I got it to get it diagnosed. I'll suggest they look at the grounding as well. Will keep you posted.
Old 06-18-2015, 11:11 AM   #4
BMWCaptain

Location: TEXAS - Circuit of the Americas doing laps with my M5 and coming in for a pit stop.
My Ride: 03 330iT SportWagon
You could have a loose wire. Tighten ALL +12volt leads from the battery to the +B terminal to the starter and then the alternator.

Tell us what your specific battery voltage is and what voltage your alternator is putting out when running.

Over 2 Billion Served !

BMWCaptainE46.com
BMWCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 11:37 AM   #5
davindersangha

Thanks. I'll pass this on to the guys tomorrow and update the thread.
Old 06-19-2015, 07:51 AM   #6
davindersangha

Took it there and they said nothing comes up on the computer, no errors or anything. They also drove around for a while and no issues (or they are trying to pull a fast one).
Old 06-19-2015, 01:08 PM   #7
davindersangha

It cut out three times today. Finally managed to get a code on my ELM 327 device:

Read defects
1 Pending DTC
1 Stored DTC

P0015: B Camshaft Position - Timing Over-Retarded(P)

P0335: Crankshaft Position Sensor A Circuit(S)
Old 06-20-2015, 06:47 AM   #8
davindersangha

Now two more codes:

P0011: A Camshaft Position: Timing Over Retarded (P)
P0368: Camshaft Position Sensor B Circuit High(S)

I replaced the Camshaft Sensor yesterday after three major stops on the motorway. It still stops, but not as critical.
Old 06-25-2015, 05:04 AM   #9
davindersangha

Fixed. It was the crankshaft sensor. Had it running for a few days now and no problems showing. The garage (independent) noted that oil was leaking into the electrical connection of the crank sensor. The camshaft sensor was also replaced first, but didn't make a difference; only the crank one did. Not sure if it's just the way I drive now (more settled and not pushing the pedal as I thought that was one of the issues it was cutting out), but it seems a little more fuel efficient.

Had 40 in yesterday and dial showed 316/320 to next refuel for a quite a while.
Old 09-21-2016, 01:54 PM   #10
mr.singh_vlc

p0368

paji i got the same error
just want to know did you changed the sensor by yourself or by mechanic?? is it dificult to change it???
mr.singh_vlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 04:35 PM   #11
davindersangha

Bro, it was too difficult. I got the mechanic to do it. It was a fiddly job, but it was solved and no problems since.
Old 09-22-2016, 02:49 PM   #12
mr.singh_vlc

aha okei paji
do you too drive 316ti??
i want to ask exhaust camshaft position sensor and intake camshaft position sensor are same in this motor?? and where does camshaft position sensor located??
will be very thankful ..
mr.singh_vlc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, camshaft, crank, sensor, stopped