E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-28-2015, 10:53 AM   #1
majshanman

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325i
2002 325i Headlights coming on spontaneously, any ideas?

Folks, I have a 2002 325i with 186k miles. The past two days some strange happenings have occured. I'll relate them here:

1st event- Driving home at night I tried to turn on the bright lights. They did not come on. I left the switch in the bright position and some seconds later they came on. I cycled the switch and the problem repeated. The brights would not come on when switched into the on position...but later would come on.
2nd event- My neighbor came over last night to tell me I had left my lights on. I had not. They simply came on spontaneously. I cycled the dash switch to "on" and the headlights went off, but running lights stayed on. I moved the switch to "off" and the headlights came on along with the running lights. I repeated this and the same thing occured. I pulled the fuze. Later I went out and put the fuze back in and everything worked the way it should.
3rd event- my wife was going to work this morning at 3:30 am and came in to tell me that my headlights had come on spontaneously as she was packing her car - which is parked next to mine. I asked her if she had done anything and she said the only thing was loading and closing the door to her car. She had not touched my car. A few minutes later, she came back in and said that they had gone out by themselves, spontaneously.

I cannot find any reference to this problem. Do any of you have any ideas? I tend to not think it is a switch issue because the bright light switch is on the column (event #1) and the on/off switch is on the dash (event 2, 3).

Any feedback is welcome.
majshanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-28-2015, 12:55 PM   #2
veektor

My Ride: 2002 325xi
You may want to provide more info about your headlights, i.e. halogen vs. HID, OE vs. Aftermarket, etc. May or may not be relevant to your issue, but can't hurt to have that info.
veektor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 01:06 PM   #3
majshanman

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325i
They are the original type. I don't recall paying for any upgrade to them. Original manufacturer type. Of course I've replaced the bulbs over the years but they were simply the replacement for the original. I'm the original purchaser of the car.
majshanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 01:12 PM   #4
hitbyastick

My Ride: 2002 325i
Switch/Light Control Module is bad. Replace.
Old 09-28-2015, 01:19 PM   #5
veektor

My Ride: 2002 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by majshanman View Post
They are the original type. I don't recall paying for any upgrade to them. Original manufacturer type. Of course I've replaced the bulbs over the years but they were simply the replacement for the original. I'm the original purchaser of the car.
Original headlights can be Bi-Xenon or Halogen. I'm going to assume yours are halogen.

I honestly don't know where to go with this problem, but I would probably start by checking for light module errors using PASoft.
veektor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2002 325i, 325i, headlamps, headlights, spontaneous