E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-18-2015, 02:40 PM   #21
mpvue

My Ride: '04 325xi stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHungryDev View Post
I am most likely purchasing a 2003 330xi 5speed on Wednesday... Any info/advice would be awesome. ..
don't do it.
mpvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 02:45 PM   #22
TheHungryDev

My Ride: 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpvue View Post
don't do it.
lol I'm really on edge about it. Gonna look at it today, not even sure if I want to or not anymore. Just thinking about the problems these cars have is stressing me out.
TheHungryDev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 03:01 PM   #23
mpvue

My Ride: '04 325xi stick
Quote:
lol I'm really on edge about it. Gonna look at it today, not even sure if I want to or not anymore. Just thinking about the problems these cars have is stressing me out.
if you're stressing, then walk away. seriously.

these cars will nickle and dime you to death, ESPECIALLY if you are paying for labor. they are the age where SO many things are wearing out, besides the stuff that is poorly designed and needs constant upkeep.
and yes, they do drive great and are enjoyable when the SES light isn't on.

BUT, if you are looking to restore the car yourself, and learn a lot in the process, then go for it. I find the e46 to be pretty easy to work on, parts are easy to get and not always expensive, and there is plenty of online help to answer your questions.
mpvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 03:05 PM   #24
Rob43

My Ride: 03 331Ci 5spd R1200R
Quote:

Don't let it stress you out.

Assuming your mechanic goes through it well & determines it's OK, I'd still Absolutely want to have a PLANNED $1K to $2K budget to fix things that will simply need to be addressed from a maintenance point of view.

Good luck,
Rob43

Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 SCCA
(DynoDynamics https:vimeo.com/8486878 Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

I BUILD SUSPENSIONS (Consult) FROM MILD TO WILD FOR RWD & Xi E46's
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
I Know How To Fix The Rear "Bouncing" Problem On Your Cheap Coilovers Like: Jom RL FK SE & RK.
Rob43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 03:21 PM   #25
TheHungryDev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob43 View Post
Don't let it stress you out.

Assuming your mechanic goes through it well & determines it's OK, I'd still Absolutely want to have a PLANNED $1K to $2K budget to fix things that will simply need to be addressed from a maintenance point of view.

Good luck,
Rob43
Yeah, definitely planning on spending that on maintenance.
Old 12-13-2015, 05:01 PM   #26
BeemerBabe_e46

My Ride: 2003 330xi
Good Luck!

I just bought an '03 330xi a couple of months ago and I gotta admit I've been bracing myself. She's been a dream ride so far, but after all the research I've done I find myself panicking every time I hear the slightest noise. My coolant light flashed on for a couple of seconds the other day, and I just knew my radiator was about to fall out of my car!

Being that she has over a hundred thousand miles on her, I'm prepared to drop a couple of thousand, but I'm having a hard time relaxing about it. What's it going to be? Timing belt first? Cooling system? Fuel pump? When am I going to get the first SES light? Can I get lucky and make it a year before the fireworks start?

Anyway, congratulations- you're going to love your e46. The styling and performance are unbelievable and maintenance, from what I hear, should be an adventure!!!!

PS For the first time since I was a kid I'm looking forward to snow this winter!
Old 12-13-2015, 05:09 PM   #27
Dreamliner330

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeemerBabe_e46 View Post
I just bought an '03 330xi a couple of months ago and I gotta admit I've been bracing myself. She's been a dream ride so far, but after all the research I've done I find myself panicking every time I hear the slightest noise. My coolant light flashed on for a couple of seconds the other day, and I just knew my radiator was about to fall out of my car!

Being that she has over a hundred thousand miles on her, I'm prepared to drop a couple of thousand, but I'm having a hard time relaxing about it. What's it going to be? Timing belt first? Cooling system? Fuel pump? When am I going to get the first SES light? Can I get lucky and make it a year before the fireworks start?

Anyway, congratulations- you're going to love your e46. The styling and performance are unbelievable and maintenance, from what I hear, should be an adventure!!!!

PS For the first time since I was a kid I'm looking forward to snow this winter!
Honestly, I've learned a lot. If I were you, I'd have money saved and wait for failures. Don't prematurely replace functional components. Things like alternators and such, just get at Autozone. Way cheaper than anywhere else and the Duralast stuff is usually Bosch or some other OEM and Autozone offers a lifetime warranty.

Also, just buy Mobil 1 0W-40 oil in the 5 Quart jug from Wal-mart. Cheapest way to go and meets BMW spec.

I know I'm in the minority here, especially on this forum; but reality check, you drive a German GM. Don't act like some on this forum and pretend its some finely tuned Lamborghini that needs specialized parts.

Lastly, don't mod your car with dumb stuff and do not touch your suspension!

Last edited by Dreamliner330; 12-13-2015 at 05:13 PM.
Dreamliner330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 05:35 PM   #28
wayne0

My Ride: 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamliner330 View Post
Honestly, I've learned a lot. If I were you, I'd have money saved and wait for failures. Don't prematurely replace functional components. Things like alternators and such, just get at Autozone. Way cheaper than anywhere else and the Duralast stuff is usually Bosch or some other OEM and Autozone offers a lifetime warranty.

Also, just buy Mobil 1 0W-40 oil in the 5 Quart jug from Wal-mart. Cheapest way to go and meets BMW spec.

I know I'm in the minority here, especially on this forum; but reality check, you drive a German GM. Don't act like some on this forum and pretend its some finely tuned Lamborghini that needs specialized parts.

Lastly, don't mod your car with dumb stuff and do not touch your suspension!
I replaced my alternator cheaper from Rockauto than Autozone including shipping and shipping the core!
wayne0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 06:03 PM   #29
prostock

My Ride: 2004 325XI
I just bought a wrecked 2004 325XI five speed, 99k miles, deer hit damage. $1500. I figured its a good way to get my feet wet without spending a lot of money. Almost all of the damage is bolt on parts sourced cheap used.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bmw.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	619780  
prostock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 10:46 PM   #30
Dreamliner330

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne0 View Post
I replaced my alternator cheaper from Rockauto than Autozone including shipping and shipping the core!
My car was out of commission for only 2 hours.

Rockauto has good deals, especially for maintenance stuff.

Last edited by Dreamliner330; 12-13-2015 at 10:47 PM.
Dreamliner330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 11:44 AM   #31
TheHungryDev

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeemerBabe_e46 View Post

Just an update:

So I didn't end up going with the e46. I went to check it out and the car was very clean, but the seller was pretty sketchy. He told me the car had 94K miles, but when I got there he told me different.

I ended up getting a 2008 328xi off my uncles buddy who owns a great BMW dealership. I gotta say, it is by far the nicest car I've ever owned. Thanks for all the input guys, I really appreciate it.
Old 12-14-2015, 12:44 PM   #32
BeemerBabe_e46

My Ride: 2003 330xi
Well done. Never go with sketchy! Enjoy.
Old 12-17-2015, 11:32 PM   #33
erehtuo

My Ride: 2004 330XI
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostock View Post
I just bought a wrecked 2004 325XI five speed, 99k miles, deer hit damage. $1500. I figured its a good way to get my feet wet without spending a lot of money. Almost all of the damage is bolt on parts sourced cheap used.
I think I saw that car on craigslist, let me know if you find a good place to get parts, mine has the same damage from a deer.
erehtuo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
330xi, advice, bmw, manual