E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Touring

E46 Touring
The E46 touring forum. Talk about your sport wagon E46 here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-14-2016, 08:42 AM   #21
E46XITurboJoe

My Ride: 2001 330XIT Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob43 View Post
What are you doing about your suspension ? And are you really going for a Stanced/Slammed look, or could I convince you to run it a bit higher to yield better handling.

Rob43
I appreciate your insight about the ride height, these are yellow billy shocks with ground control progressive wound springs and custom adjustable perches. so they actually handle pretty well along with the poly upgrades on the underside. the 86 dura bump stops are a bit harsh, however at the end of the day this is a wagon not a track toy :p
I am trying to build this wagon in the slammed VIP style a little bit, so boosted, slammed, big rims, nice interior. the hope is this will be a pretty mild build and retain to clean german lines
E46XITurboJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 08:42 AM   #22
E46XITurboJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mflara20 View Post
Where you purchased the turbo kit from?

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk
CX racing
Old 01-14-2016, 08:43 AM   #23
E46XITurboJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by limpiabota809 View Post
So in, can't wait for the results.
thanks! I am having a CV boot repaired and then the paint and turbo get installed!
Old 01-14-2016, 08:44 AM   #24
E46XITurboJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelStar View Post
Hobbit i the ish when it comes to boost. He has answered so many questions for me.
that is good to know! I will be talking to them, I do need some recommendations on injectors, air flow control and a base map for this turbo
Old 01-27-2016, 10:00 PM   #25
E46XITurboJoe

UPDATE Jan 27th 2016

sorry again for the delay in updates, here is the current intercooler setup. I hope you enjoy it cause it was a lot of fun to make.

I have no idea what this style of mount is called but I really wanted to try replicating it and it turns out is super easy to replicate.

started off mocking it up with end tanks lower in bumper (unfortunately the way it will probably have to go back to)

here is it with the end tanks flipped. the way I prefer but things are squished behind the bumper :/ also i think the mounts are not in the same spot top and bottom so its off a little bit

then I cut up some flat metal and weld it to the flat side of a cylinder 1 inch tall. then drilled out those cups and welded bars to them

finally paint and install ( don't mind bad welds)

looking forward to trying fabricating the A/C lines this week(end) and then taking the OEM manifold off the car, which in the past was a PITA and I am not looking forward to
Old 01-28-2016, 12:13 AM   #26
Geo31
Ironman

My Ride: 98 M-Z3, 01 325iT
Totally love it. As someone who cobbled together their own turbo plumbing (on my Infiniti G20) I totally appreciate what you're doing.

Swim: 2.4 Miles
Bike: 112 Miles
Run: 26.2 Miles
Brag: For the rest of your life

Geo31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 06:53 AM   #27
limpiabota809

My Ride: 330 XI
Loving the progress
Old 01-28-2016, 05:17 PM   #28
CarbonZHP
Because Race...Convertible?

My Ride: used to be an auto
Glad to see the spread of this kit. Subbed
Instagram: @CarbonZHP
CarbonZHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 08:08 AM   #29
E46XITurboJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo31 View Post
Totally love it. As someone who cobbled together their own turbo plumbing (on my Infiniti G20) I totally appreciate what you're doing.
I was planning on making this kit completely organically but when I heard this could be installed and was basically the same price as me doing myself with half the time I went for it. how much power did you make? I bet that was a blast to drive!
Old 01-30-2016, 08:11 AM   #30
E46XITurboJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonZHP View Post
Glad to see the spread of this kit. Subbed
Thank you! this car / thread is getting a lot more attention than I had planned which is amazing, its nice to see feed back and advise starting to show up!

which rear bumper are you using in your soft top? I have been looking for a better option that my current one.

Last edited by E46XITurboJoe; 01-30-2016 at 08:13 AM.
Old 01-30-2016, 08:38 AM   #31
CarbonZHP

I'm ZHP so M Tech 2 front, sides, and rear

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Old 01-30-2016, 11:10 AM   #32
Geo31
Ironman

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46XITurboJoe View Post
I was planning on making this kit completely organically but when I heard this could be installed and was basically the same price as me doing myself with half the time I went for it. how much power did you make? I bet that was a blast to drive!
I never got a good dyno run. When I went to the dyno the ignition was breaking up. A week later my alternator went. That explains the ignition issues.

That car was a blast to drive. It had a double wishbone front suspension and handled great, plus it had coilovers.

I had the intercooler coated with SwainTech's Black Body Emitting coating. That did two things. First it help shed heat. Second, it was stealthy. You had to look carefully to notice the intercooler. That car was a real sleeper. I also ran a low mass flywheel and underdrive pulleys. That make it spool quickly and almost seemlessly. It have very little turbo lag and when the boost came on it came on more progressively than most turbos. Yeah. It was a lot of fun to drive. Ultimately, some college kid hit me and pushed me into another car, totaling both. The upside is I replaced it with my 328i (my first E46).

Old 01-30-2016, 07:51 PM   #33
E46XITurboJoe

Quote:
I never got a good dyno run. When I went to the dyno the ignition was breaking up. A week later my alternator went. That explains the ignition issues.

That car was a blast to drive. It had a double wishbone front suspension and handled great, plus it had coilovers.

I had the intercooler coated with SwainTech's Black Body Emitting coating. That did two things. First it help shed heat. Second, it was stealthy. You had to look carefully to notice the intercooler. That car was a real sleeper. I also ran a low mass flywheel and underdrive pulleys. That make it spool quickly and almost seemlessly. It have very little turbo lag and when the boost came on it came on more progressively than most turbos. Yeah. It was a lot of fun to drive. Ultimately, some college kid hit me and pushed me into another car, totaling both. The upside is I replaced it with my 328i (my first E46).

that is super boss. sorry to hear about your car wreck though. do you have any photos? I always try to buy a different brand of car for each car I own. it keeps me from getting getting to narrow sited. I do the same with my motorcycles. yea I know if you paint a silver steam radiator matte black it will work more efficiently. I really like the silver poking out on my car so I think I will leave it for the time being, but well see. when the ebay turbo goes I will upgrade to a garrett and then I will think about welding my own custom FMIC.
Old 01-30-2016, 07:54 PM   #34
E46XITurboJoe

Quote:
I'm ZHP so M Tech 2 front, sides, and rear

good to know, I almost pulled the trigger on the m tech rear bumper today.. which TECHNICALLY I don't have the cash for today aha only down side is it pushed my painting project back a week on getting the car plasti-dipped. but I think it'll be better to wait till its warmer and still less humid (I am in FLORIDA ATM)

I am hoping next week with more sun light and less rain I can focus on dropping the OEM exhaust and installing the turbo. I am still anxious to start as I do not know any good ways to move the motor over enough to access the header bolts. if you have any ideas (or anyone) send em my way!
Old 01-30-2016, 08:50 PM   #35
CarbonZHP

Start with pulling the washer tank and SAP. Should give you some room. I also saw someone support the engine from below with a jack and remove the entire passenger side motor mount, including the metal arm going to the block. This may take a while but I bet it'll save you lots of pain

Old 01-30-2016, 11:05 PM   #36
Geo31
Ironman

Quote:
that is super boss. sorry to hear about your car wreck though. do you have any photos? I always try to buy a different brand of car for each car I own. it keeps me from getting getting to narrow sited. I do the same with my motorcycles. yea I know if you paint a silver steam radiator matte black it will work more efficiently. I really like the silver poking out on my car so I think I will leave it for the time being, but well see. when the ebay turbo goes I will upgrade to a garrett and then I will think about welding my own custom FMIC.
I'll try to pull out a copy of the article I wrote for Sport Compact Car on the swap. Not sure if I have any pics of the completed car, something my editor wished I had (but he didn't ask for).

Old 01-31-2016, 10:20 AM   #37
E46XITurboJoe

Quote:
Start with pulling the washer tank and SAP. Should give you some room. I also saw someone support the engine from below with a jack and remove the entire passenger side motor mount, including the metal arm going to the block. This may take a while but I bet it'll save you lots of pain

washer tank is out, I usually unbolt the motor and jack it up and over to the driver side. if I take out the passenger engine mount then I guess it is that time to start fabbing my custom engine mount bracket so I can run my passenger poly mount.
Old 01-31-2016, 10:23 AM   #38
E46XITurboJoe

TODAYS TASKS
-design aluminum washer bottle
-design bracket to hold washer bottle and A/C condenser bottle in ABS corner
-put in material order
-begin design of passenger engine mount to change from hydraulic to poly engine mount. (previously purchased material)
Old 01-31-2016, 10:23 AM   #39
E46XITurboJoe

Quote:
I'll try to pull out a copy of the article I wrote for Sport Compact Car on the swap. Not sure if I have any pics of the completed car, something my editor wished I had (but he didn't ask for).
I love to read build articles cause it gives me lots of ideas about fabrication
Old 01-31-2016, 01:48 PM   #40
Geo31
Ironman

Quote:
I love to read build articles cause it gives me lots of ideas about fabrication
OK, just have a little patience with me. I think my copies are currently in storage (trying sell my house and build a new one).

Tags
325xi, diy, turbo, wagon, write up