E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Touring

E46 Touring
The E46 touring forum. Talk about your sport wagon E46 here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-13-2016, 07:47 PM   #61
E46XITurboJoe

My Ride: 2001 330XIT Turbo
**update***

loosely mounted for fitment

this A/C install is going to be hell. but will feel really nice when it becomes the same temps as the surface of the sun in FL.

with washer bottle tank also loosely installed.

I ran out of light, but the top row of bolts is on the manifold minus one. starting bottom row tomorrow. I also laid my Gold and started splitting the looms so I can re run the washer pump and sensor thing on the A/C

E46XITurboJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 09:38 PM   #62
18rabbit

My Ride: '02 330it
Nice to see, glad you stuck with it!
18rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 03:53 PM   #63
E46XITurboJoe

minor finishing stuff

**update**

I want to update the quality on the CX racing product overall and as it fits a M54B30 in a XI wagon.

Manifold- bolts up, but the holes are over sided and there is some slop that can lead to 1 bolt not lining up. 100% recommend a ratcheting wrench. sockets do not work even with bends, box wrenches work in a few spots but are slow and can be painful. overall quality and fitment is really nice.

Turbo- chinese, but they appear to be little better than when i was in HS. included oil feed lines fit, but I switched the a weldable return line bung so I don't have to drop my oil pan (still a pain to weld in there, but over all less time and cost) the brass T for the oil pressure switch was the wrong size so I am getting a correct one tomorrow.

down pipe and O2 sensors clears ABS!!!! fits really nice
exhaust from V-band back does not fit, I am adding ~12" after the flex pipe before the bend so it will go around the transmission tunnel.

waste gate pipe does not fit (I am using a turbo smart 38mm so that maybe why also) and will need to be cut and possible re-welded, its not a big deal.

overall super happy with the kit. again this is not the $ 1500 one, i dropped a few items and it was 900. I DID add however, my own FMIC, HKS BOV I had, Turbosmart waste gate I had, Vibrant super quiet resonator I had. pipe insulation I had, bought the Gold heat shielding stuff (I love NASA) and I bought the turbo blanket.

all I have left is the exhaust, running the gauges, buy and install Injectors, possibly buy and install a fuel rail, tune and drive.

and photos I need to repost or re take or you just want to see, let me know! I hope to be driving this in 10 days after a few more parts show up
Old 02-14-2016, 09:51 PM   #64
Mflara20

My Ride: 04 330i
I whish I knew how to install I turbo, I'm mechanically inclined but I haven't installed one or helped installed one. I really want one.
Mflara20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 11:16 PM   #65
E46XITurboJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mflara20 View Post
I whish I knew how to install I turbo, I'm mechanically inclined but I haven't installed one or helped installed one. I really want one.
I recommend, researching and buying all the appropriate tools first, if you are mechanically inclined having the correct tools, or a budget to get them is key. then make sure you car is 100% mechanically sound and updated. then do supporting mods, like brakes and poly bushings. then get that turbo slapped on. its literally bolting it on and some creative ideas for getting wrenches into small spots
Old 02-16-2016, 02:17 AM   #66
Mflara20

My Ride: 04 330i
Thanks for your info. I'm sure I can bolt everything on but my weakness is messing with the electronics such as the ecu
Mflara20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 10:10 PM   #67
E46XITurboJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mflara20 View Post
Thanks for your info. I'm sure I can bolt everything on but my weakness is messing with the electronics such as the ecu
that is most certainly my weakness as well. however you live in a region were sending your ecu out or your car out is not a big deal-ish, I believe there are several big tuners who can get your car at least a base map within 500 miles of you, which is decent enough... also remote tuning is an option. again its all what you pre plan for / budget for
Old 02-17-2016, 01:19 AM   #68
whyzee125

My Ride: 330ci with 3 pedals.
This is a sweet project! I'd love to follow in your footsteps with my wagon someday. I'm currently finishing up an m54b30 swap on it. What are you doing for tuning once the turbo kit is complete? Seems that's the biggest hurdle with these. Good luck!

948whp on the butt dyno.
whyzee125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 07:36 AM   #69
E46XITurboJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyzee125 View Post
This is a sweet project! I'd love to follow in your footsteps with my wagon someday. I'm currently finishing up an m54b30 swap on it. What are you doing for tuning once the turbo kit is complete? Seems that's the biggest hurdle with these. Good luck!
If I didnt love turbos so much I would probably stick to nice headers and exhaust the B30 feels really nice in the wagon, there never should have been a b25 option IMO
Old 02-18-2016, 09:23 PM   #70
E46XITurboJoe

**update**

I have to work outside and its still not staying light very long here so I get 1.5-2 hours before its not worth my time. but I persist!

tonight I finished modifying the dump pipe and CXracing exhaust to clear the tranny. mild steel welding is looking really good finally. just need more consistancy.

heres a few quick photos, I am finishing up the BOV and installing the exhaust this weekend. if my luck persists I will get the oil return line and cold side charge pipe finished

injectors should be here Tuesday

Old 02-24-2016, 08:24 PM   #71
E46XITurboJoe

***update***

finished the full 3" exhaust, one vibrant resonator, no muffler, but planning on getting a vibrant 3" to 2x 2.5 tip straight through soon.
soon
Old 02-24-2016, 08:29 PM   #72
E46XITurboJoe

***update***

finished the full 3" exhaust, one vibrant resonator, no muffler, but planning on getting a vibrant 3" to 2x 2.5 tip straight through soon.

then I made some more of this!

one I heard a joke that parents say child birth is amazing so other people have to go through the pain. sometimes I feel that way when small details like stand offs are omitted in builds I try to work off of. so here it is, if you get BOSCH Green Giants. you need to make stand offs and extend the bolts.

lastly finished this piece, still need to add the PMAX HPX bung and MAF when it arrives.

thanks for looking!
Old 02-24-2016, 09:43 PM   #73
CarbonZHP
Because Race...Convertible?

My Ride: used to be an auto
I dig it
Instagram: @CarbonZHP
CarbonZHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 11:15 AM   #74
epfenninger

My Ride: 2001 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46XITurboJoe View Post

then I made some more of this!

one I heard a joke that parents say child birth is amazing so other people have to go through the pain. sometimes I feel that way when small details like stand offs are omitted in builds I try to work off of. so here it is, if you get BOSCH Green Giants. you need to make stand offs and extend the bolts.

lastly finished this piece, still need to add the PMAX HPX bung and MAF when it arrives.

thanks for looking!
Are you doing a headgasket? I heard on these motors its good to run a thicker headgasket so the compression ratio goes down a little bit... Also are you doing ARP studs?

Last edited by epfenninger; 02-25-2016 at 10:26 PM.
epfenninger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 10:20 PM   #75
raptorman5174

My Ride: 330i ZHP
sub'ed

18 VMR CSL's
Koni
Eibach Sport Spring's
UUC Power Pullies
Sprint Booster
CCV Delete
3:38 rear diff
raptorman5174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 08:53 AM   #76
MichaelStar

My Ride: 325 Touring
I love this project. Speed up a bit when you are welding and you won't get as many blobs.

EDIT

Or turn down wire speed

Last edited by MichaelStar; 02-26-2016 at 08:53 AM.
MichaelStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 09:43 AM   #77
E46XITurboJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelStar View Post
I love this project. Speed up a bit when you are welding and you won't get as many blobs.

EDIT

Or turn down wire speed
its all tig, I sold my mig welder after using it daily for 5 years when I downsized my garage. but I will def try a little faster on the speed! my aluminum tig skills from the beginning of this project to now are a lot better, but still need a ton of improvement. today I am finishing the oil system and tomorrow the MAF and bung get here, then I am just waiting on my base map to arrive!
Old 03-05-2016, 02:02 PM   #78
Snowbird

My Ride: 02 325i
If I were you, (which I'm not) I would finish it up, pull the valve cover, install one arp Stud at a. Time and torque em down, see if that seals up the leak. If not just run it as is till it blows. When it does throw a nice engine in and go all out on that one.
Snowbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 09:45 PM   #79
E46XITurboJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowbird View Post
If I were you, (which I'm not) I would finish it up, pull the valve cover, install one arp Stud at a. Time and torque em down, see if that seals up the leak. If not just run it as is till it blows. When it does throw a nice engine in and go all out on that one.
basically what I am thinking!

UPDATE ON ITS WAY JUST NEED FOOD! THINK COLOR CHANGES
Old 03-07-2016, 04:17 PM   #80
mgunter

My Ride: E46 Touring & E30
Do the A/C lines that run on the passenger side still fit with the manifold and DP? I really want a turbo but I don't want to have to delete my A/C which is one of the reasons why I've been thinking of going with a supercharger.
mgunter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
325xi, diy, turbo, wagon, write up