325XI slammed wagon Turbo facelift project - Page 7 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Touring

E46 Touring
The E46 touring forum. Talk about your sport wagon E46 here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-20-2016, 06:30 PM   #121
zander271

My Ride: 6spd ZHP/5sp XI
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46XITurboJoe View Post
thanks! I am super glad to see it running, also, lots of clean up work to do still. I miss washington, its where I started the build. trying to get back there at the end of summer to visit
Please say you are driving...you can come pick me up

Weather has been pretty decent. I miss Florida, I lived in Gainesville for 2 years.

ZHP Mods: JB Lightweight fly wheel (10.5 pounds), Koni FSD ProKit, Supreme Power Drop Hats, Hotchkis front(30.2mm)/rear(25.4mm) sway bars, Sprint Booster, AFE Stage 1 Intake, Morimoto EvoX-R Headlights, Orion V4 Angel Eyes, Satin Black 18x9 ET42 APEX ARC-8 Wheel

330xi Mods:Front Koni Yellow Struts and Rob43 Rear 9 Way adjustable Rear Dampers,Custom Sport Springs,Supreme Power Drop Hats,ZHP 5 speed shift knob
zander271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 06:35 AM   #122
E46XITurboJoe

My Ride: 2001 330XIT Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by zander271 View Post
Please say you are driving...you can come pick me up

Weather has been pretty decent. I miss Florida, I lived in Gainesville for 2 years.
ahahah thanks funny! currently where I am! I met a few people who have done the swap. I grew up in Tacoma.

given I dont have much vacation left I am probably going to fly to Seattle/tacoma tho! maybe someday the wagon will make cross country trip, its certainly comfortable enough to do it
E46XITurboJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 08:49 AM   #123
M3J0N

My Ride: See Sig
Send a message via AIM to M3J0N
Quote:
North Florida, I am using the MS43 big tuning thread page. basically tunerpro, galleto, romraider, and the program that starts with J I am currently forgetting, and then and ton of community support!
well, if you ever make it down to south east florida, hit me up. The girls are hotter down here too...

do you have a link to that tuning page? thanks and good luck with this project!
04 M3/2/6 Carbon Black/Black (Sold)
95 M3/2/5 Carbon Black/Black (Sold)
95 M3/2/5Avus/Dove Grey 3.2L Swap (Current)
90 M3/2/5 Diamond Black/Black 3.0L Swap (Current)
96 M3/2/5Estoril Blue/Black (Current)
01 325iT Wagon Auto Titanium Silver/Red Sport (Current)

M3Forum Is a Joke (lifetime ban):
http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=500115

M3J0N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 06:56 PM   #124
E46XITurboJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3J0N View Post
well, if you ever make it down to south east florida, hit me up. The girls are hotter down here too...

do you have a link to that tuning page? thanks and good luck with this project!
ahah excellent! ya let me get this car tuned and comfortable again and I will need a destination to do some long distance checks on engine bay heatsoaking
Old 07-07-2016, 09:12 PM   #125
E46XITurboJoe

everything is hooked up and running at least mechanically

I am currently trying to build a more discrete way of having a plug in for wideband logging. once I get it sorted I will put a write up in of my experiences. the basic idea is putting an FTDI chip into an project box mounted under the dash you can just plug a usb into and run to your laptop for logging, otherwise its nicely hidden.

also working through RomRaider.

hoping to start tuning beyond the base map soon!
Old 08-07-2016, 03:22 PM   #126
E46XITurboJoe

update: TUNING HAS BEGUN!
at 6psi this car is already showing its might, which feels good! open waste gate isnt very loud which is also nice.

I wired the three gauges that I wanted in, due to space I will be switching the Oil pressure gauge to electric as the mechanical one (sport comp II) is do deep and the Leatherz panel cuases the gauge to put pressure on the oil line, fornow its holding however.
wideband isnt pretty, but its sitting in the cubby for now till I pull the A & B pillars plus the headliner and then I will relocate the WB into the rear mirror.

currently the Catch Can is atmospherically dumping. but I am hoping to next week after I get finnished moving in, to finnish welding the screw in venturi that fits in one of the spare O2 bungs on the downpipe. this will make some negative pressure for the catch can setup and with a Universal PCV i wont have to worry about backpressure.

finally I did the driverside ballast relocate (its the easier of the two) I moved it to the M3 location using M3 gear and some slight bending and cutting. I re-beveled the edge so that it looks factory-ish. but it reliefed the pinch on the charge pipes. by twisting the wiring and then electrical taping it. I think it looks alot better than OEM as well. once I get my garage setup I will be able to have space to get the bumper off and do the driverside relocation.

Old 09-21-2016, 06:22 AM   #127
whyzee125

My Ride: 330ci with 3 pedals.
Moar updates! SO sexy!

948whp on the butt dyno.
whyzee125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 06:53 AM   #128
E46XITurboJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyzee125 View Post
Moar updates! SO sexy!
Much appreciated!

updates, so I was traveling for work and the project stalled out. however here is where I am.

started noticing what I thought was a bad battery, weak starting, dead battery, rough running. so I replaced the battery.

Then the car began missing and wouldn't idle, so Ive been diagnosising and replacing stuff.

so far I have cleaned up two air leaks on the intake, replaced a crank sensor that was full of oil, tested the maf, swapped tunes to an older one, compression test, replaced the coils, spark plugs, and valve cover gasket.

whats left. new VC is on its way, I found cracks on the current one. If anyone knows of an Aluminum or metal VC replacement I AM ALL EARS. even if it takes mods.

all this cleaned up the misses and made it run smoother, however it still wont idle and I am noticing when I make it idle with throttle at 1,100 rpm the vacuum is only 19 in-hg soooooo

I am not building a plenum, the intake is also brittle and cracking (I suspect), and for only bit more and a chance to play with my tig welder I can build a plenum and move the dang throttle body up and forward and facing the driver side (USDM headlight) all that stuff is on its way. Also today I am building my work bench, as I moved to a new place a few months ago, I will take photos if anyone wants to see it.

I think that is everything. the oil pan I had repaired by a shop still isn't holding oil, so once I get this car running I get to send it back to them.

Also cant seem to keep my CV boots from tearing after 6 months, probably from infrequently driving it. so I am switching my boots to off roading, thicker / extreme angle boots at the recommendation of a friend back on the west coast. so the slammed life continues.

probably wont happen, but the dream was always if this motor fails to swap to a 2jz, I recently found an adapter plate for XI ZF transmission to 2jz so thats a thing...
Old 11-19-2016, 06:57 AM   #129
E46XITurboJoe

OOOOO sorry one more thing. when the plenum is done the next project is going to be reversing the flow of the fuel rail. I will tap 6 an on each end of the fuel rail for inflow and 4 or 6 an exit where what is currently the inflow spot. that will hold the regulator. and then run that back to where the fuel filter is and adapt the hardlines as needed. should clean up fuel delivery, generally speaking its always better to have the regulator after the rail and as short of travel time as possible for fuel in the rail so it doesnt have the potential to starve further injectors downline under WOT. thats the idea at least.
Old 11-21-2016, 06:54 AM   #130
whyzee125

My Ride: 330ci with 3 pedals.
I believe the m56 valve cover is what you want

948whp on the butt dyno.
whyzee125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 08:53 AM   #131
Onizukachan

My Ride: `04 M56 Touring
Quote:
Originally Posted by whyzee125 View Post
I believe the m56 valve cover is what you want
M56 bc is metal, uses different gaskets and deletes the CCv.

DIY: E46 Touring TV Tuner Install/Mounting
DIY: Wiring City Lights, Rear Fogs, and Rear Camera in a Touring
Onizukachan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 07:50 PM   #132
Swiff

My Ride: 2002 330xi
M56 valve cover does not "delete" the CCV. It relocates it to under the valve cover. Just a different design to get rid of all the plastic breakable parts and cleaner install. Depending on your year, you would also need coil packs and harness for coil pack. It is also not the cheapest way to go but will give a factory look and is not plastic next to that turbo.
Here is the CCV link : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1066308
Swiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 11:42 PM   #133
Onizukachan

My Ride: `04 M56 Touring
Sorry for oversimplifying. Eliminates the need for a ccv delete and catch can which turbo people would otherwise need to do, is what I was getting at.
One of the many things I love about my car.

DIY: E46 Touring TV Tuner Install/Mounting
DIY: Wiring City Lights, Rear Fogs, and Rear Camera in a Touring
Onizukachan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 04:12 PM   #134
Swiff

My Ride: 2002 330xi
^ I need you to send me your valve cover.
Swiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 10:09 AM   #135
E46XITurboJoe

alright, so I bought an M56 Valve cover, a DIY plenum kit, M54b30 aluminum intake flange and all new gaskets. I still need to draw up whats in my head, but I have the newer coils already so the M56 and new gasket will be a simple bolt on, then I will machine a custom Aluminum oil cap to replace the M54 one, I dont think it works on the M56 from what I can see.

I bought / made a smoke tester to check for leaks on the current intake manifold, but I think its just to brittle to continue. sooo I also bought from mazworx here in FL a generic 5052 6cyl tapered plenum box, it was 24" long so I chopped it from the big side to 20 1/8" as stated before an M54 intake flange from e46turbo330ci.com he claims they only had two or so left. I also asked about the intake trumpet panel, which he didn't have and wouldn't sell/trade the CAD file to me. sooo I am learning CAD to make my own trumpet panel which will fit the mazworx plenum chamber, so if anyone wants the cad file ill pass it along as long as its not used for profit.

so far I welded on the vacuum block and made my measurements for the end caps and started to think about how I want to attach the ICV and throttle body. besides METAL>PLASTIC intakes I also want to relocate the throttle body so it faces the driver side (USDM) headlight. The last challenge will be mounting all the injector bungs evenly and then starting to tap and rebuild the stock fuel rail. If I do all this carefully I should be able to retain the black plastic cover over the injectors, I think aesthetically this will look the most badass. polished tucked plenum with OEM plastics on top hiding most of it.

this weekend I also undid my rear seats and installed heated seat elements after waiting a year. It wasnt that hard if you go slow, buts time consuming and awkward. I am excited to wire the door controls and see how they feel!

with this new plenum I will be running all my vac line off the vac ports with quick disconnect AN fittings (https://www.swagelok.com/en)

so expect hints of more SS braided appearing soon in my engine bay.

final thoughts this plenum design should open up a tiny bit more space on the strut tower to relocate the PS and catch can as well, and eventually the Oil Filter will be relocated and a thread in oil filter will be adapted.

****quick update I was checking links and the E46Turbo330CI.com site is down, if I do not see a shipping label or tracking number by end of day tomorrow I will have paypal return my money order. however in the mean time till his website is back up I do not endorse the site.
Old 11-27-2016, 10:41 AM   #136
E46XITurboJoe

completed, not to shabbly after taking nearly 8 months off and having my fuse blow mid weld I guess.

right where the fuse blew

mocking it up

cut and welded O2 bung adapter to venturi for catch can evac
Old 12-18-2016, 08:38 AM   #137
E46XITurboJoe

*UPDATE*
this one in my head is kind of big, I hope everyone else gets excited about this also.

so I had plans to do a dual feed fuel rail after this plenum is done. but then I found out the M52TU fuel rail fits the M54 mounts and it can be made with hardly an effort to be a true dual flow OEM rail. mostly. so 150 bucks later parts are coming to the house to begin the budget DIY dual feed rail for our cars, stay tuned and I can make a new thread just for it if need be.

Also fitting the runners and maybe some welds today on the plenum!
Old 04-18-2017, 02:46 PM   #138
NIVO

My Ride: 2004 330Ci ZHP
Send a message via AIM to NIVO
Quote:
alright, so I bought an M56 Valve cover, a DIY plenum kit, M54b30 aluminum intake flange and all new gaskets. I still need to draw up whats in my head, but I have the newer coils already so the M56 and new gasket will be a simple bolt on, then I will machine a custom Aluminum oil cap to replace the M54 one, I dont think it works on the M56 from what I can see.

I bought / made a smoke tester to check for leaks on the current intake manifold, but I think its just to brittle to continue. sooo I also bought from mazworx here in FL a generic 5052 6cyl tapered plenum box, it was 24" long so I chopped it from the big side to 20 1/8" as stated before an M54 intake flange from e46turbo330ci.com he claims they only had two or so left. I also asked about the intake trumpet panel, which he didn't have and wouldn't sell/trade the CAD file to me. sooo I am learning CAD to make my own trumpet panel which will fit the mazworx plenum chamber, so if anyone wants the cad file ill pass it along as long as its not used for profit.

so far I welded on the vacuum block and made my measurements for the end caps and started to think about how I want to attach the ICV and throttle body. besides METAL>PLASTIC intakes I also want to relocate the throttle body so it faces the driver side (USDM) headlight. The last challenge will be mounting all the injector bungs evenly and then starting to tap and rebuild the stock fuel rail. If I do all this carefully I should be able to retain the black plastic cover over the injectors, I think aesthetically this will look the most badass. polished tucked plenum with OEM plastics on top hiding most of it.

this weekend I also undid my rear seats and installed heated seat elements after waiting a year. It wasnt that hard if you go slow, buts time consuming and awkward. I am excited to wire the door controls and see how they feel!

with this new plenum I will be running all my vac line off the vac ports with quick disconnect AN fittings (https://www.swagelok.com/en)

so expect hints of more SS braided appearing soon in my engine bay.

final thoughts this plenum design should open up a tiny bit more space on the strut tower to relocate the PS and catch can as well, and eventually the Oil Filter will be relocated and a thread in oil filter will be adapted.

****quick update I was checking links and the E46Turbo330CI.com site is down, if I do not see a shipping label or tracking number by end of day tomorrow I will have paypal return my money order. however in the mean time till his website is back up I do not endorse the site.
Site is down due to a server issue. it should be up and running again soon.

I am a man of my word and have never ripped anyone off. You did receive the flange correct?

I am not a website but a guy on many BMW forums. I browse here and there...

As far as the Trumpet/Velocity stack panel, it wasn't made because of little demand for both products which I explained on email.

Please show us your manifold and how you used the flange.
Thanks Joe ~ Nivo

www.E46Turbo330Ci.com
WARNING: This modification is known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm due to the extreme G forces once turbo kicks in. ~ Nivo
The rest of my signature is reserved for pointless modification bits like: Halos | window Tint | carbon fiber roundels | short shifter

Last edited by NIVO; 04-18-2017 at 03:04 PM.
NIVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 08:41 PM   #139
E46XITurboJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIVO View Post
Site is down due to a server issue. it should be up and running again soon.

I am a man of my word and have never ripped anyone off. You did receive the flange correct?

I am not a website but a guy on many BMW forums. I browse here and there...

As far as the Trumpet/Velocity stack panel, it wasn't made because of little demand for both products which I explained on email.

Please show us your manifold and how you used the flange.
Thanks Joe ~ Nivo

I absolutely got it, and I believe it even came early, due to the website going down 12 hours or less after I ordered it I was very nervous, however it is a high quality product and fit pretty well, the holes sliding over the studs on the intake took a few passes to go on smoothly, but no issues. let me upload where I am at. I am currently stuck building up my dual feed for argon. my manifold is finally at that point!

as for an update, I got a little discouraged with this car and needed a car in general, so I bought a 1981 TE72 wagon with a gas leak and scary wiring, so I dumped the bulk of the loom and rewired the car with a new fuse block and Microsquirt, the ITB's are almost done and then the car will run completely off the MS. I also updated the fuel system and will finnish it with when the ITB's go on, this has jump started my interest in the BMW again so I have been seaming up the massive plenum. photos to come
Old 04-18-2017, 09:12 PM   #140
E46XITurboJoe

Last edited by E46XITurboJoe; 04-18-2017 at 09:14 PM.

Tags
325xi, diy, turbo, wagon, write up