E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-14-2016, 06:13 PM   #1
boomiko

My Ride: 325iT
Umnitza Depo headlights help

hello all, i hope this isnt a repeat but i searched around and no one has an answer to this very specific question.

so i recently purchased the umnitza depo bi-xenon headlights with angel eyes and they look amazing! (well, they both will once umnitza sends me a replacement ballast... one failed) Following the lighting guide on fastm i was able to get all but one of the factory functions. The bi-xenon high beam.

This hold high beam function is critical to me because i do a lot of rural night driving and dont want to hold the halogen high beam on for my trips.

This is activated by the driver by pushing the light toggle on the left side of the steering wheel full forward into a hold position. This is different from the halogen high beam function which does not hold. The plug that goes into the bi-xenon light (composed of purple-white, yellow-brown, and blue-green wires) to fully open the shutter from the factory wiring harness is not utilized in the umnitza headlight set.

The umnitza headlight uses a 12V and a ground wire to open the bi xenon shutter.

My question is this, is it possible to tap the plug with the three wires to activate the shutter when the light toggle is pushed into the hold position?

I still have the oem ballasts that connect to both the low beam and high beam if there is any possibility of that ballast being re-purposed to work in this capacity.

Ill keep working on a solution, maybe asking an electrical engineering buddy of mine, but any help you can afford would be greatly appreciated! Pictures to come once both headlights are functional.
boomiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-09-2016, 08:43 AM   #2
boomiko

Update:

I got together with my EE friend and we figured out the way to tap to get the push and hold bi-xenon function to work.

There are two red wires protruding from the bi-xenon light. Tap one of them to the highbeam ground (brown wire). Then find the unused headlight plug that used to go into the OEM ballast along with one other plug that is used. There are three wires on this plug. Two line up with each other, leave these two alone. The third one, (this is not in line and i think yellow and red but not sure on the color), should be tapped by the remaining red wire from the bi-xenon light.

Check by turning your key to the second position, flipping on the headlights, then pushing the light toggle forward in the hold position.

I contacted Umnitza and let them know how to set this up. thus far it hasn't tripped any dash lights so thats cool. Hopefully this can help someone else!
Old 08-07-2016, 08:05 AM   #3
cs33988

My Ride: 2005 325ci
@boomiko, I bought the p46 from Umnitza also. I have the headlights working but would like the hold high beams to work also. However, I think my wiring might be slightly different than yours. I have attached pictures and if you could help, that would be awesome.
imgur.com/2LFAA9q,vAsxQz7
cs33988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 10:39 AM   #4
boomiko

@cs33988, looks like you do have a different wiring set up. The headlights I received did not have receiving ends for all 4 of the harness plugs. Have you tried plugging them all in and trying?

I also don't see the two red wires that control the shutter coming out of your lights either, are those maybe tucked inside the bi xenon bulb casing?
Old 08-07-2016, 08:33 PM   #5
texaslonghorn

My Ride: EV
@cs33988 - looks like you may have the same lights I do. Just got mine about a week ago. I don't understand all the terminology but mine are projectors and I don't know if those use xenon bulbs or are some other technology. Anyway, I had the stock bi-xenons and now I can only flash the highs. Umnitza told me the fix for this is to have a tuner reprogram the software to make the car think it has halogens rather than bi-xenons, then the hold highs will work. I am interesting in knowing if there is another solution.

@boomiko - don't suppose your EE friend can find a work around for this can he?
texaslonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
headlight, high beam, hold, umnitza, wiring