E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum

Forced Induction Forum
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-21-2016, 07:43 AM   #81
Pole position
OEM ///Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Detroit
Posts: 947
My Ride: E46 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobBoost330i View Post
The cx manifold causes some issues with ac and there's almost nothing you can do.
I am almost done with my 330 and the ac came out within the first 2 days. I tried to bend the lines out of the way and they crimped and busted. The ac compressor didnt clear the manifold on my car, so I had to take it out.
There are a few ports on the back of the manifold with rubber plugs that I connected the bov and map sensor for my scg 1 to.
If you have any questions about your build, I'm in the middle of mine right now so everything is still fresh in my mind. I might be able to answer some questions that you have

Damn, that's not good news. Where did the ac conflict with the turbo? I figured the compressor is far below the manifold. Pretty awesome that your almost don with your build though, should post some pics!
__________________
Shut up and drive
Pole position is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 07:56 AM   #82
RobBoost330i
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Northern California
Posts: 58
My Ride: Bmw
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pole position View Post
Damn, that's not good news. Where did the ac conflict with the turbo? I figured the compressor is far below the manifold. Pretty awesome that your almost don with your build though, should post some pics!

It wasn't so much the compressor as it was the connections in to the compressor. The lines are just too bulky and would need to be shaved down or something along those lines. Also, if you plan to run your charge piping through the passenger side fog light area, you're going to need to remove/relocate the ac evap canister.
RobBoost330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 08:37 AM   #83
Pole position
OEM ///Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Detroit
Posts: 947
My Ride: E46 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobBoost330i View Post
It wasn't so much the compressor as it was the connections in to the compressor. The lines are just too bulky and would need to be shaved down or something along those lines. Also, if you plan to run your charge piping through the passenger side fog light area, you're going to need to remove/relocate the ac evap canister.

Gotcha. Hopefully I can use a torch and get myself some leeway around the compressor lines. Thanks for the heads up about the canister, I will look into moving that. Woke up this morning to a low coolant light so finding a leaks is now my top priority. Are you running water lines for the turbo or just coolant? And also how/what oil pan fitting did you use and in what location? Thanks
__________________
Shut up and drive
Pole position is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 10:57 AM   #84
RobBoost330i
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Northern California
Posts: 58
My Ride: Bmw
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pole position View Post
Gotcha. Hopefully I can use a torch and get myself some leeway around the compressor lines. Thanks for the heads up about the canister, I will look into moving that. Woke up this morning to a low coolant light so finding a leaks is now my top priority. Are you running water lines for the turbo or just coolant? And also how/what oil pan fitting did you use and in what location? Thanks

A cooling system pressure test will help you find the leak. Might be the expansion tank, mine had a very tiny hairline fracture in it. I just kept filling it when it got low over the course of about 7 months. I got tired of filling it so i just replaced expansion tank.

I am running an oil line for lubrication/cooling. I bought a 'turbo oil return kit' from ebay for the an fittings. I picked up a 3 foot 5/8" heater hose from o'riley and used that for the return. I drilled into the oil pan (while still on the car) with a tiny drill bit, and gradually increased sizes. I put grease in the flutes of the bit to catch the shavings so nothing would go in the pan. I used a 1/2 npt tap and threaded a 1/2 npt to 10an male to male fitting. I flushed the engine with oil, cycling about 20 quarts and caught most of the residual shavings. I also picked up a 90 degree 10an fitting because the drain port in the turbo was angled wrong. Ill post some pictures of what im talking about when I get off work
RobBoost330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 06:48 PM   #85
RobBoost330i
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Northern California
Posts: 58
My Ride: Bmw
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1461278566.370235.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	417.9 KB
ID:	630117
This is where I drilled my oil pan. I got the location from an old post where PEI330Ci had his pan tapped.
You can see I did not weld a bung on there like a normal person because I was too lazy to take off the whole pan. I put teflon tape to seal, but it leaked a little bit, so i took it off and slapped some jb weld around it and put it back. It's sealed a bit better now.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1461278758.921488.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	630118
This arrow points to one of the brackets that the ac compressor was on
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1461278800.227616.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	281.4 KB
ID:	630119
This is a more zoomed out view of how much space the manifold takes up.

If you can make it fit, that would be pretty sweet. But I was kind of in a rush to put it on, so I didnt have much patience for that kind of stuff.
RobBoost330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 06:53 PM   #86
Pole position
OEM ///Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Detroit
Posts: 947
My Ride: E46 330ci
Cool, I plan on jb welding it too. Hopefully I can make it work, we'll see. I am also relocating my windshield washer fluid tank to the open bin on the passenger side, a project for next week. How long till you get it running? Run I into any other issues?
__________________
Shut up and drive
Pole position is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 07:42 PM   #87
RobBoost330i
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Northern California
Posts: 58
My Ride: Bmw
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pole position View Post
Cool, I plan on jb welding it too. Hopefully I can make it work, we'll see. I am also relocating my windshield washer fluid tank to the open bin on the passenger side, a project for next week. How long till you get it running? Run I into any other issues?

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1461281692.142207.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	259.1 KB
ID:	630123
This is whats in my drug bin. I got rid of my wiper fluid reservoir. Again; too much work.

The only problems Ive run into was intercooler piping, because I had to fab my own. I had some issues with the down pipe, and had to fab a y-pipe to use my stock exhaust. And tuning is the current problem. I had to convert ms43 so I have all these computer issues I need to figure out. My tuner is working on it right now, so I should have it all by next week.
RobBoost330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 07:49 PM   #88
mrbobmicjoe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: San Diego
Posts: 241
My Ride: 2001 325i
Please make a build thread! You have so much valuable information to share
__________________
mrbobmicjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 08:15 PM   #89
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss
 
PEI330Ci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: PEI,Canada
Posts: 4,345
My Ride: 330i, 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobBoost330i View Post
This is where I drilled my oil pan. I got the location from an old post where PEI330Ci had his pan tapped.
You can see I did not weld a bung on there like a normal person because I was too lazy to take off the whole pan. I put teflon tape to seal, but it leaked a little bit, so i took it off and slapped some jb weld around it and put it back. It's sealed a bit better now.
I just want to point out that a removed the oil pan to install that drain fitting in 2010.

I know that people do drill and tap the pan with it installed on the engine, then flush with fresh oil, but there still can be debris in the pan.

My car is currently on jack stands because I took a shortcut to install a sensor in the engine block. Debris got sucked in the oil pump, and jammed the pressure relief valve, causing oil pressure to oscillate between 70 and 110 PSI at idle.

On a car with a stock engine compartment, dropping the oil pan can be done in approximately 1 hour. Because of how modified my engine bay is, it became a 1/2 day project, with re-assembly taking even more time. I also had to remove my oil pump and strip it to bits to clean it....
PEI330Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 08:24 PM   #90
mrbobmicjoe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: San Diego
Posts: 241
My Ride: 2001 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by PEI330Ci View Post
I just want to point out that a removed the oil pan to install that drain fitting in 2010.

I know that people do drill and tap the pan with it installed on the engine, then flush with fresh oil, but there still can be debris in the pan.

My car is currently on jack stands because I took a shortcut to install a sensor in the engine block. Debris got sucked in the oil pump, and jammed the pressure relief valve, causing oil pressure to oscillate between 70 and 110 PSI at idle.

On a car with a stock engine compartment, dropping the oil pan can be done in approximately 1 hour. Because of how modified my engine bay is, it became a 1/2 day project, with re-assembly taking even more time. I also had to remove my oil pump and strip it to bits to clean it....
Has using that drain location worked out well for you? I still have my pan off and im worried that spot isnt high up enough.
__________________
mrbobmicjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 08:48 PM   #91
RobBoost330i
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Northern California
Posts: 58
My Ride: Bmw
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbobmicjoe View Post
Please make a build thread! You have so much valuable information to share
I feel like it's just a bit too late for me to make a build thread. And too early post any results because the beast isn't running just yet. I plan to just hop threads and help out wherever I can like answering questions or post pics of my setup and such.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEI330Ci View Post
I just want to point out that a removed the oil pan to install that drain fitting in 2010.



I know that people do drill and tap the pan with it installed on the engine, then flush with fresh oil, but there still can be debris in the pan.



My car is currently on jack stands because I took a shortcut to install a sensor in the engine block. Debris got sucked in the oil pump, and jammed the pressure relief valve, causing oil pressure to oscillate between 70 and 110 PSI at idle.



On a car with a stock engine compartment, dropping the oil pan can be done in approximately 1 hour. Because of how modified my engine bay is, it became a 1/2 day project, with re-assembly taking even more time. I also had to remove my oil pump and strip it to bits to clean it....

I took as many precautions as I could to prevent any shavings from staying in the pan. Because I have limited space in my driveway, and a huge lack of patience, I just drilled the pan with it on. I used about 10 bits to keep the shavings small, I greased the flutes of the bits to grab the shavings, I swiped the inside of the hole with my finger to get whatever I could out of the pan before flushing it, and I flushed about 20 quarts through. I am hope it is sufficient, but I still am doubtful.

Without an oil pressure gauge, how will I be able to tell if my oil pump gets jammed?
RobBoost330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 11:39 PM   #92
Pole position
OEM ///Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Detroit
Posts: 947
My Ride: E46 330ci
I will be pulling my pan anyway to install the GSR 4-bolt oil pump, but have heard of people doing that. Looking forward to seeing it run!

Found my coolant leak was the drain plug o-ring for my CSF radiator. Slowed the leak down with a quick rad flush and some teflon tape on the threads o the plug. Should be good enough until I get another o-ring tomorrow, its barely dripping when it idles. Was pissing pretty bad previously.
__________________
Shut up and drive

Last edited by Pole position; 04-21-2016 at 11:40 PM.
Pole position is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 05:42 AM   #93
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss
 
PEI330Ci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: PEI,Canada
Posts: 4,345
My Ride: 330i, 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobBoost330i View Post
I took as many precautions as I could to prevent any shavings from staying in the pan. Because I have limited space in my driveway, and a huge lack of patience, I just drilled the pan with it on. I used about 10 bits to keep the shavings small, I greased the flutes of the bits to grab the shavings, I swiped the inside of the hole with my finger to get whatever I could out of the pan before flushing it, and I flushed about 20 quarts through. I am hope it is sufficient, but I still am doubtful.

Without an oil pressure gauge, how will I be able to tell if my oil pump gets jammed?
Those are all good precautions to take.

I had a sharp popping sound coming from the oil pump area of the engine, which coincided with idle oscillations. I didn't investigate the oil pressure until after I had done a visual check of the engine bay.

On thing to note is that the bypass valve could also get stuck open, which would cause low oil pressure.

For those of you that are interested in an "easy" way to connect into the OEM oil system: You can tap the the head of the VANOS oil feed banjo bolt, and put a 1/8" NPT threaded fitting in there that can feed either a pressure sensor, or a remote mounted gauge. (With a section of line) If you are already using this point to feed a turbo with oil, I suggest a "T" fitting.

Last edited by PEI330Ci; 04-22-2016 at 05:51 AM.
PEI330Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 01:32 AM   #94
RobBoost330i
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Northern California
Posts: 58
My Ride: Bmw
Just Another M54 Turbo Build. By the People, for the People

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1461389141.201733.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	219.9 KB
ID:	630232
I got this off eBay, it was about 20 bucks. It threads into either the oil pressure switch behind the oil filer housing, or the oil temp sensor, or really any other m12x1.5 hole. I went with threading into the pressure switch. The adaptor fit pretty well, even with the feed line running around the manifold and all.
The vanos banjo bolt would work too, but I already had easy access to the pressure switch since I had my manifold off.

Last edited by RobBoost330i; 04-23-2016 at 01:34 AM.
RobBoost330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 02:27 AM   #95
daniel_f.
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Germany
Posts: 2,474
My Ride: 330iC
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobBoost330i View Post
Attachment 630232
I got this off eBay, it was about 20 bucks. It threads into either the oil pressure switch behind the oil filer housing, or the oil temp sensor, or really any other m12x1.5 hole. I went with threading into the pressure switch. The adaptor fit pretty well, even with the feed line running around the manifold and all.
The vanos banjo bolt would work too, but I already had easy access to the pressure switch since I had my manifold off.
Problem is, there will be a big bubble of air in that adapter. You need to bleed it as the air has no way out.
__________________
Im currently at baby vacancy!


Siemens MS42 wiki!

Siemens MS43 wiki!

daniel_f. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 02:41 AM   #96
RobBoost330i
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Northern California
Posts: 58
My Ride: Bmw
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel_f. View Post
Problem is, there will be a big bubble of air in that adapter. You need to bleed it as the air has no way out.

What do you mean bleed it? Pressurized oil flows through it, activates the switch, then flows to the turbo. What would be the purpose of bleeding and how would you bleed it?
RobBoost330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 03:27 AM   #97
daniel_f.
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Germany
Posts: 2,474
My Ride: 330iC
Alright, as long as there is oill constantly flowing you wont have a problem Ive been getting it wrong then
__________________
Im currently at baby vacancy!


Siemens MS42 wiki!

Siemens MS43 wiki!

daniel_f. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 06:08 AM   #98
Davew
OEM ///Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 2,023
My Ride: 2004 330ci Msport
A variation of PEI330ci,s suggestion.

GeorgeG gave me a fantastic piece of advise for the oil return on mine, it was so obviously a brilliant idea after he mentioned it, but something I seriously overlooked- timing case
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0763.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	630234   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0766.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	123.9 KB
ID:	630235   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0973.PNG
Views:	267
Size:	344.4 KB
ID:	630236  
Davew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 04:42 PM   #99
mrbobmicjoe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: San Diego
Posts: 241
My Ride: 2001 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davew View Post
A variation of PEI330ci,s suggestion.

GeorgeG gave me a fantastic piece of advise for the oil return on mine, it was so obviously a brilliant idea after he mentioned it, but something I seriously overlooked- timing case
Ive also heard about that before and seen it done on M50/M52 builds before.

Heres a video where a guy also fits the drain to the timing case: (skip to 8:30)
__________________

Last edited by mrbobmicjoe; 04-23-2016 at 04:42 PM. Reason: format
mrbobmicjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 08:02 PM   #100
RobBoost330i
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Northern California
Posts: 58
My Ride: Bmw
Hey PEI330Ci, would you mind if I stole your idea for a trunk badge? The ///M54 badge looks pretty cool and I don't think I've seen anyone other than you have it
RobBoost330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2016 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use