E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-29-2016, 11:25 PM   #1
mattthecoxcomb

My Ride: 2005 325i
DIY fuel rail removal problems

Greetings all,

I recently replaced the CCV on my 2005 325i and chose to do so by removing the intake manifold. I know this is not required for the task but there doesn't seem to be consensus on the interwebs as to whether the job is any easier/takes less time when leaving the manifold on or not. Also, having not torn into my car at such depth before, I thought for me personally it would be easier if I could visualize what I was doing. I also replaced all associated CCV hoses, the intake manifold gaskets, and dip stick o-ring. It went pretty smoothly except for the fuel rail/injectors--which I now realize could possibly have been left in place on the manifold if I'd simply disconnected the fuel line quick release near the firewall.

Anyway, several of the upper o-rings detached from the fuel injectors when I pulled them from the fuel rail so I replaced them. I now know that I accidentally used the WRONG SIZED O-RINGS (confirmed with part numbers). When I finished the job and went to start the car, I first turned the key to location 2 to pressurize the fuel rail. Well predictably gasoline shot out the fuel rail cups and all over the intake manifold, the intake side of the crankcase and everything else below, eventually onto my garage floor.

How serious is this, besides the immediate fire hazard (which I believe has passed due to evaporation now that it's been about 5 hours)? Unfortunately it seemed like a fairly large volume of gas. I believe the starter still works (I cranked it twice before I realized what was going on). But I am concerned about damage to the fuel rail wire harness and anything electrical below the manifold (e.g. starter motor, wire harness, sensors, etc.). What, should I be worried about? What can I do to mitigate damage at this point? My plan was to go to the stealer tomorrow and purchase the proper o-rings, reinstall the injectors, and try firing it up again hoping for the best. Is there anything else I should do?

I realize this is a total noob mistake and accept ridicule accordingly. In advance, any thoughts and suggestions are welcome and appreciated. Thanks!
mattthecoxcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-29-2016, 11:56 PM   #2
iowna330xi

My Ride: is not yet fast.
Don't come after me if I gave you bad advice, but I would just let it dry with the hood open. Happened to me taking my fuel rail out but not as much fuel. Had to wear my mask just to reassemble my car. P.s. If your manifold is still off remember to put clean towels in your intake to prevent water vapor from entering.

Last edited by iowna330xi; 03-29-2016 at 11:57 PM.
iowna330xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 12:49 AM   #3
mattthecoxcomb

My Ride: 2005 325i
iowna330xi, absolutely not coming after you or any one for advice. Thanks for the quick reply! I think it's fairly common to spill fuel when taking out the fuel rail--I did it too. This was probably 5 times that amount and with the starter cranking for probably 10 seconds! I'm shocked pouring gasoline over a running electrical engine didn't spark an instant fire. I'm eaving the hood open overnight for sure--my whole house reeks! The manifold was on when I tried to start it and I haven't taken it off. Do you think I should? I don't think much gasoline actually got into the manifold or the cylinder head because the injectors were well seated in the intake manifold so all the fuel just ran from the rail over top of them like standing under a shower head.
mattthecoxcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 08:35 AM   #4
iowna330xi

My Ride: is not yet fast.
In that case, just let your car dry for a bit. Believe it or not, some people use gas as a cleaner on their engine!
iowna330xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 06:23 AM   #5
svvg

My Ride: E46 M3 SMG
I had exactly the same problem. Just used brake cleaner m, let it dry properly, and had no problems.

Bmw charged me 58 for the top and bottom (12 in total) O-rings!!!
svvg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ccv, diy fail, fuel injector replacement, fuel injectors, intake manifold removal