E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2016, 09:37 AM   #1
juan88

My Ride: 2003 325xit 5 speed
Will staggered wheels ruin awd?

Hi everyone, I'm trying to run a set of staggered style 67 m3 wheels on my 2003 325xi wagon. I've done a lot of research already and I've gotten mixed reviews about whether it can be done with out ruining the transfer cases. So first off the wheels fits perfectly fine the car, I did about 15 miles on them on back roads here in new Hampshire (lots of bumps) and no rubbing or understeering so they fit and perform well. My issue is that with the current tire set up of 225/40/18 front and 245/40/18 rear, there a circumference difference of about 1.5 inches and much bigger than the stock circumference. I've found a tire set up that will make it so that both front and rear circumference will be with in .2 inches of each other and both will be with in .8 inches of the stock circumference. Will this set up work with out destroying my transfer case? Also I will only be running these for about 5K miles a year during the summer, the rest of the time it will have stock wheels. Thanks for any input on this I will take any and all advice I can get before going through with this mod

Last edited by juan88; 05-06-2016 at 09:39 AM.
juan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-06-2016, 10:34 AM   #2
rsyed07

My Ride: E92 335is, E46 330i
You do know that the offsets on rear of style 67 wheels are really low and will need fender modification and tire stretching to get them to fit right? Most people but 4 front style 67's since the offset matches that of a non-m.
Old 05-06-2016, 10:44 AM   #3
juan88

I am aware of all of that but your wrong about the fender mods and tire stretching. They fit great and ride great there's no rubbing what so ever. My only question is whether they will ruin the transfer case over time with the very slight difference in circumference between the back and front wheels. Thank you for your response any way.
Old 05-06-2016, 10:59 AM   #4
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
it theoretically will mess up the AWD. how bad will it realistically be? it's hard to say but it should ruin the transfer case over time.
peytonracer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 03:26 PM   #5
Onizukachan

My Ride: `04 M56 Touring
I wouldn't run such a big difference at all. .2 inch, sure. 1.5? Not a chance in hell.

E46 Touring TV Tuner Install/Mounting DIY
Onizukachan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 04:05 PM   #6
juan88

.2 inches is going to be the difference in diameters between front and back with the new tire set up I'm looking at. It's a small difference but I'm leaning towards not taking any chances and getting two more front rims and matching all 4 wheels up. Just way more expensive than I'd like it to be but oh well. Thanks for the feed back from everyone it was much appreciated
Old 05-06-2016, 04:17 PM   #7
tcphoto

My Ride: E92 335 MT Coupe
Commonsence says it will cause damage. At what pace nobody knows but you seem hellbent on doing it anyway. Go for it and report back.
Old 05-06-2016, 04:31 PM   #8
Yewzer B Lewzer

My Ride: 2003 325i
Will staggered wheels ruin awd?

Quote:
Originally Posted by juan88 View Post
.2 inches is going to be the difference in diameters between front and back with the new tire set up I'm looking at. It's a small difference but I'm leaning towards not taking any chances and getting two more front rims and matching all 4 wheels up. Just way more expensive than I'd like it to be but oh well. Thanks for the feed back from everyone it was much appreciated

Diameter? or circumference as you stated in your first post? 0.2 circumference isn't much, tire wear could do that easily.

Probably not rubbing because Xi sits higher and it would take some serious situations to get the tire deep into the fender.

^^Blue Ridge Parkway^^ '03 325i. '74 Jeep CJ-5. '93 Sailfish 170XL. '12 Westside SS Longboard. One of these four are sure to be running at any given point in time.

Last edited by Yewzer B Lewzer; 05-06-2016 at 06:35 PM.
Yewzer B Lewzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 07:28 PM   #9
jmo69

My Ride: 03 325xi 98 328is
I'm sure the snow tires on my xi have a slightly different diameter between front and rear due to the rears being newer and everything is still working fine. Open difs probably help.
Old 05-20-2016, 02:01 PM   #10
juan88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yewzer B Lewzer View Post
Diameter? or circumference as you stated in your first post? 0.2 circumference isn't much, tire wear could do that easily.

Probably not rubbing because Xi sits higher and it would take some serious situations to get the tire deep into the fender.
Yes I meant circumference. I'm looking at 225/40/18 on the fronts and 255/35/18 on the rears. According to the tire calculators online, I've checked numerous ones, this set up will have that .2 inch difference between front and back in circumference, with roughly 8 revolutions per mile between the front back. Does any one know how accurate these tire calculators are? And does anyone with knowledge of the awd drive system know if the slight difference is going to ruin the transfer cases?
Old 05-20-2016, 02:27 PM   #11
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
They're accurate. It's pretty simple math. I have an excel one that I made and it agrees with most of the sites I've found.

Personally, I would not have staggered tires on an AWD car. Check the owners manual to see if it has a note about that.

I have a dream that one day our children will live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of
their skin but by the color of their coolant.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 03:44 PM   #12
metallikatz3

My Ride: E46 ZHP Coupe
Manufacturers recommending to replace all 4 tires at once on AWD cars should tell you something. Even tire wear differences will negatively impact the life of you transfer case.
metallikatz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 04:28 PM   #13
generalvp

My Ride: 05 330ci ZHP
I don't know why anyone would say the the rears of style 67 wheels would fit a non-M car and look nice. Sure, it does fit physically but sticking out over an inch? I physically tried it on my zhp coupe (wider fender and more negative camber compared to non-zhp) and it looked awful. It rill rub unless you're car is sitting high like a truck/suv.

Also, there must be a reason why no AWD cars, except exotics or super cars, have a staggered wheel setup.

Last edited by generalvp; 05-20-2016 at 04:29 PM.
generalvp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awd, staggered, transfer case