First Car E46 M3 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 1.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-18-2016, 02:03 AM   #1
SoonToBeM3

My Ride: Nothing
First Car E46 M3

I really want a E46 M3 as my first car stick of course cause what fun of having an M3 if it's not stick? The only problem is I don't know how to drive stick. I'm worried about getting ripped off also not knowing much about the E46 M3. Please Help
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-18-2016, 03:29 AM   #2
mrfuzzybagels

My Ride: 2002 m3
If you insist on buying an M3 as you're first car, and you shouldn't, you're better off buying a pos salvage title. You're gonna beat the crap out of it anyway as you first car and especially learning to drive stick so no point getting anything too nice. You're probably better off getting an smg. Or better yet a Honda.

Last edited by mrfuzzybagels; 05-18-2016 at 03:30 AM.
Old 05-18-2016, 04:12 AM   #3
Topazzar

My Ride: '02 M3
dont do it!

Buy a 1.4 honda or something because you are going to damage it in some way or another. a high power rear wheel drive car is for peolpe who have already had the stupid fun of damaging a not-so-precious car. Don't wreck an M3, please!

P.S. I didn't read to the end of bagels post before suggesting Honda :p

Last edited by Topazzar; 05-18-2016 at 04:13 AM.
Old 05-18-2016, 05:42 AM   #4
Solidjake
Zero. Leaks.

My Ride: '02 330i 6MT
Wrong car to learn to drive stick on and wrong car to be your first car.
Old 05-18-2016, 09:09 AM   #5
syl3ntforce

My Ride: E46 M3
Send a message via AIM to syl3ntforce
if you want the m3 as a first car cool, not the best choice but doable, lookout for maintenance paperwork from the seller the more the better. Expect to change that clutch a few times if your just learning. best way to learn do what i did, bought a honda civic for next to nothing learn how to drive stick in that. if your ok with driving in traffic with a manual do it, i wasnt so i got a smg since ny traffic is horrible. also know these s54 m3 are noisy so if you look at one remember that and be smart about what you are hearing if there is ticking or knocking be careful

318i>328i>328i>EK Civic SI>328ci>328xi>E46 M3

Old 05-18-2016, 10:00 AM   #6
Alan

My Ride: 2006 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidjake View Post
Wrong car to learn to drive stick on and wrong car to be your first car.

This. Seriously.

Old 05-18-2016, 12:45 PM   #7
SoonToBeM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfuzzybagels View Post
If you insist on buying an M3 as you're first car, and you shouldn't, you're better off buying a pos salvage title. You're gonna beat the crap out of it anyway as you first car and especially learning to drive stick so no point getting anything too nice. You're probably better off getting an smg. Or better yet a Honda.
My parents won't let me drive a non German car or I'd buy a Evo8
Old 05-18-2016, 12:47 PM   #8
SoonToBeM3

Thanks for all the comments guys lmfaoo. I was thinking I can get an SMG and then when I get bored of it sell it and buy a stick or would switching transmissions be easier?
Old 05-18-2016, 01:21 PM   #9
n3985

My Ride: E92 soon?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonToBeM3 View Post
My parents won't let me drive a non German car or I'd buy a Evo8
then get a manual E46 that is not an M3
Old 05-18-2016, 01:25 PM   #10
SoonToBeM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by n3985 View Post
then get a manual E46 that is not an M3
What's the point of getting one that's not the M I want a car that will whip a Q50 LMFAOO LA is full of them thanks doe
Old 05-18-2016, 01:30 PM   #11
n3985

My Ride: E92 soon?
Quote:
What's the point of getting one that's not the M I want a car that will whip a Q50 LMFAOO LA is full of them thanks doe
So when you inevitably crash it (non-M) it won't really matter and you'll most likely have minimal injury.
Old 05-18-2016, 01:38 PM   #12
ReIntegration

My Ride: 2003 BMW 330Ci
Send a message via AIM to ReIntegration
Quote:

Jesus Christ.......

I feel bad for any German car you end up with, if that's your mentality.
2003 330Ci (Current & original owner - Born on 1.10.03)(Had it since new born. Delivered from Regensburg on 2.24.03)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordecai
Ready to get destroyed?
Old 05-18-2016, 01:55 PM   #13
Alpine335TT

My Ride: E46 M3

http://www.mischief.tv
Old 05-18-2016, 03:05 PM   #14
Alan

Quote:

Its time to start growing up.

Buy an M3 after you move out of Mom and Dad's house.

Old 05-18-2016, 03:37 PM   #15
joeysm3

My Ride: ///M3 02
Whip q50? If your looking for a car to whip cars in straight line e46 m3 is not for you. And if thats why your buying that car u wont like the outcome of what will happen to you. Do a quick youtube to see all the crashes that happen to people attempting what you are describing. Goodluck!
Old 05-18-2016, 05:26 PM   #16
SoonToBeM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeysm3 View Post
Whip q50? If your looking for a car to whip cars in straight line e46 m3 is not for you. And if thats why your buying that car u wont like the outcome of what will happen to you. Do a quick youtube to see all the crashes that happen to people attempting what you are describing. Goodluck!
I'm joking Jesus. I'm gonna have it be my daily driver for couple months till I can actually find a better job make it my weekend probably lease an Camry or CT200.
But seriously should I get the Stick one?
Old 05-18-2016, 06:56 PM   #17
YoitsTmac

My Ride: 328Ci
Don't buy it if you don't have the job to take care of it first. If you'll get the job in a couple months, buy the car in a couple months. If you can only buy German, I don't know how the Camry will work. I highly suggest getting a 323 or 325 e46 as a first car for the first two weeks, it can teach you a lot. It'd be best to learn stick on one of those instead of a larger investment M3.

If this is really your first car, as others said, get an M3. My first car was a 328 (I learned to drive in a FWD car). I'll be honest, after my initial maintenance I drove it really hard, and had a close call control wise at high speeds around a corner. It taught me to be humble, and that a car doesn't make you invincible and that it's important to know how to handle power. You can't just throw "yo new whip" around roads, as others have said. If you're going from no wheels to four wheels, you should really take those two months it takes to find a better job learning stick on a car with less power.

I doubt anyone who's already talking about racing other cars has the responsibility to handle an E46 M3 as their first car. As others are saying, Honda (or even a standard E46 if you must buy German as you say) would be a better first car, even if it's only for those two months it takes to find a better job.
Old 05-18-2016, 07:37 PM   #18
SoonToBeM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoitsTmac View Post
Don't buy it if you don't have the job to take care of it first. If you'll get the job in a couple months, buy the car in a couple months. If you can only buy German, I don't know how the Camry will work. I highly suggest getting a 323 or 325 e46 as a first car for the first two weeks, it can teach you a lot. It'd be best to learn stick on one of those instead of a larger investment M3.

If this is really your first car, as others said, get an M3. My first car was a 328 (I learned to drive in a FWD car). I'll be honest, after my initial maintenance I drove it really hard, and had a close call control wise at high speeds around a corner. It taught me to be humble, and that a car doesn't make you invincible and that it's important to know how to handle power. You can't just throw "yo new whip" around roads, as others have said. If you're going from no wheels to four wheels, you should really take those two months it takes to find a better job learning stick on a car with less power.

I doubt anyone who's already talking about racing other cars has the responsibility to handle an E46 M3 as their first car. As others are saying, Honda (or even a standard E46 if you must buy German as you say) would be a better first car, even if it's only for those two months it takes to find a better job.
Thanks man idk what to but
Old 05-18-2016, 08:23 PM   #19
Alan

Quote:

I'm gonna have it be my daily driver for couple months till I can actually find a better job make it my weekend probably lease an Camry or CT200.

LEASE
a Camry ? ! ? ! ? ! Lease it.

Old 05-18-2016, 08:25 PM   #20
YoitsTmac

My Ride: 328Ci
Quote:
Thanks man idk what to but
If you want advice in the simplest of words, wait until you have the job, by a non-M E46 to learn stick for the two months it takes you to get the job necessary to afford an M3. Then, if you feel proficient at stick in two months, and are ready to handle something a little more, then sell the non M and trade up. I assume you're younger, so take it from someone who's 18 and who has slowly learned how to handle more powerful cars.

I started in a Hyundai, now drive a 328, have driven a handful of SMG M3's (the low end torque can slip out from underneath you if you are unskilled aka first car), and have properly handled an E93 M3. The 328 is why I am a "good driver" (I am by no means a professional). It is what taught me how a car balances and what to feel for if I lose grip on any wheel.

Again, I would HIGHLY encourage you buy something tamer while you learn. If you got a standard E46, you could get most if not all your money back by the time you're done learning stick. It took me about 4 months to feel comfortable driving anything significantly more powerful (ex: E46 M3)

I hope you can see the logic of my statement. Going from nothing, to a little more than something is a big learning curve. Having something in the middle could be very beneficial. This I promise you

Last edited by YoitsTmac; 05-18-2016 at 08:27 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
6speed, e46 m3, first car