E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-18-2016, 07:49 PM   #1
NewCarSmell

My Ride: 1999 323i
CCV valve help please

1999 323i e46 sedan production 8/98 DME MS42 auto to man 5spd swapped

Hey fanatics I just replaced my crankcase vent valve which solved my P1188 and P1189 codes (caused by a split oil return/drain-back hose). Now I'm getting new codes . Before I get into that I have questions about the CCV system. I bought my kit through bavauto so it came with the foam covers on the tubes and the valve. I am curious about what two of the tubes do. I will be referring to the pictures I provided. There is a hose that came with the kit that I didn't have and a skinny vacuum(?) hose that is not used in the DIY video from bavauto, but did come with the kit. In the picture of the valve there is a label "rubber plug", that is where the skinny vacuum tube goes, and my old valve did use this hose so i hooked it up to the new one as well. On the same image the tube labeled "return pipe" is not used and where it connects to "connecting hose" (the one that goes to manifold) was capped off on the old valve hose and I plugged the new one as well. So my question is what does the "return pipe" do? More importantly i noticed that when I was putting the throttle body back in place it pinches the skinny vacuum hose against the foam on the ccv valve. What happens when a vacuum line is pinched or plugged? same as if it were split/has a hole?

Now for the new codes:
P1250- pressure regulator control solenoid circuit malfunction and P0304-cylinder 4 misfire

I thought the FPR was just a little diaphragm that allowed a certain amount of fuel through. I didn't realize it had a solenoid controlling it. Where is this solenoid? My Fuel Pressure Regulator is new 3.5 bar and had no problems before replacing ccv. also new plugs, fuel filter, and fuel pump. so the misfire could just be a bad coil. I'll swap 3 and 4 today but cyl 4 fires last and could be consistent with low fuel pressure as well as vac leak. More symptoms are rough idle and the engine wont rev up in neutral. will rev in 1st/2nd, but not after shifting to 3rd. Once I shift into 3rd all power is lost and shifting back down does nothing to help it. Over revving and skipping third to select fourth is no help either. turn the car off and on and i have normal power again until 3rd gear. again all this started after ccv replace. Could that small vacuum tube cause all this? Ill tear it apart again and cut a hole in the ccv foam for the tube if i have to... it feels like a vacuum leak, my intake boots are both good. All electrical connectors are hooked up. I am just a simpleton out of ideas and I now submit myself to the BMW gods to help bring my bimmer back to life
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Use for post.jpeg
Views:	150
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	638857   Click image for larger version

Name:	CCV Hoses 4 post.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	638858  
NewCarSmell is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-19-2016, 07:20 AM   #2
markusmarkus

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
Those codes indicate that the fuel pressure regulator isn't getting proper vacuum. I'd reroute the small vacuum hose so it's not being pinched.
markusmarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 02:51 AM   #3
NewCarSmell

Original codes resolved

Quote:
Those codes indicate that the fuel pressure regulator isn't getting proper vacuum. I'd reroute the small vacuum hose so it's not being pinched.
Thanks for the reply. P1250 resolved today and the misfire is confirmed as a bad coil pack. 5 "pending" codes showed up as soon as i resolved the vacuum issue. I'm hoping they don't end up becoming a problem. Time will tell. I am going to assume that most e46 3 series owners will not have this issue when purchasing the ccv with the foam around it, because it seems that the skinny vacuum tube was no longer needed in the models with the FPR included in the fuel filter assy. Don't quote me but i'll guess that change started with the m54 engine. i've got the m52tu.

While there is really no room for a re-route, the simple solution was to cut the foam so the line would not be pinched at all. A razor knife was not able to cut this stuff. It is some heavy duty material. I ended up having to use side cutters to make the hole. I did cut the foam for the hose before installing the 1st time around, but it was on the wrong side of the seam... The cut must be on the left half of the foam cover or the hose will be pinched almost completely shut by the throttle body pushing it against the foam. I was able to make the second cut without taking the ccv out thankfully. The second pic just shows the vac line between the manifold and the throttle body.

The car is running much better now but still not optimal probably because of the bad coil pack. Idle is no longer rough and more but not full power. Coil pack comes in on Thursday next week so I'm hoping that's all that needs to be addressed.

I'm not sure if the type of code reader matters or shows different information for obd codes, but i'm currently using an OTC brand rental from autozone.

The pending codes are:
P0173 - Fuel trim Bank 2
P0170 - Fuel trim Bank 1
P0600 - Serial Communication Link
P1188 - No DTC definition found. see service manual
P1189 - No DTC definition found. see service manual

If I remember I'll post an update once the new coil pack is installed.
Old 08-20-2016, 06:51 AM   #4
markusmarkus

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
P1188/1189 are fuel system malfunction codes. How old is the fuel pump? When was the filter last changed?
markusmarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 05:36 PM   #5
NewCarSmell

Quote:
Originally Posted by markusmarkus View Post
P1188/1189 are fuel system malfunction codes. How old is the fuel pump? When was the filter last changed?
Fuel pump is less than a year old with less than 300 miles. same with the pressure reg and fuel filter. Guess the pump could be a dud already soft failing. Tank is half full. The reason I replaced the ccv to begin with was because the oil drain back tube had split. 1188 and 1189 showed up once that happened and looking through these forums I saw that replacing ccv drain hose should fix those codes. also some people got them and needed o2 sensors, but seeing as how both 88 and 89 came on at once I figured it was not the sensors.

They are pending codes so it may not be an issue. Once i get the ignition coil I'll drive it for a while and see what happens. If the codes do come back, could this be a small evap leak? the gas cap gasket is looking old but still in tact as far i can see. Ill replace it either way...

Tags
ccv, fuel pressure, no power, p1250, vacuum leak