E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-14-2016, 04:12 PM   #1
RCarboni

My Ride: 2000 323i
DIY OBC Retrofit ::Without:: B/C Stalk

Hey guys,
Today I decided to add an OBC button without buying a new turn signal stalk by splicing a button into the wiring harness. An hour later and it's a complete success - I have a working OBC! I thought you might want a walk through on how to do it. Here's the finished product:

First, you'll need a 9.5mm-high tactile button (RadioShack part # 275-0003 $2 for 4), 2' of thin (I used 26awg) wire, wire cutters, a soldering iron and solder, a drill the diameter of your button, some super glue or epoxy or the like to mount the button. You also need to either have pa soft and bmw scanner 1.4 or pay for the dealer to reprogram the cluster for you.

Start by disconnecting the battery (you don't have to remove the airbag or wheel but safety first). Next remove the top and bottom steering colum cover. The top has a single screw, the bottom snaps out. You don't need to fully remove it, just enough to get to the stalk connector.

Unplug the connector out to the stalk and you'll have this:
The wires you're going to tap into are the black/brown (negitive) and yellow/red (OBC scroll when connected to neg). Strip a bit of insulation on both staggered about an half inch apart so you don't have to worry about shorts. Solder 1 wire about a foot long to each and wrap the connection.

You can put the column back together at this point, but route the wires out the very back by the trim around the headlight unit (on the left for a LHD car). Pry the trim off around the switch and unscrew the headlight switch box.
Pry up and it will pop out. If you press the tabs on the side the front box containing the switches will pop off. Disconnect the ribbon cable, take the back off and remove the pcb. Drill a small hole through the front plate to accommodate the button -- there's a premoulded indent on the back, next to the instrument brightness thumb wheel -- use that for centering. Feed the wires into the face plate, solder the two wires to either set of diagonal pins (top left & bottom right or vice versa) on the button and push the button stem through the hole you drilled. The best way I found to mount it was to superglue a piece of firm plastic over the back of the whole thing but you could epoxy it in, etc.

Now replace the board, snap the back on, connect the ribbon cable, snap it back into the housing and screw it back into the dash. Replace the trim with the wires behind it.

That's it! Now you're ready to reconnect the battery, select the OBC option in the IKE coding menu, and use the OBC.
RCarboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-14-2016, 04:40 PM   #2
Megalocnus

My Ride: 05 330i ZHP/MT
Interesting idea, but these days you can get a used stalk with a BC button for less than $20...
Megalocnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 12:09 AM   #3
CarbonZHP
Because Race...Convertible?

My Ride: used to be an auto
Pretty cool to know. Add it to the DIY
Instagram: @CarbonZHP
CarbonZHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 02:06 AM   #4
RCarboni

My Ride: 2000 323i
True but for $1.90 and an hour, the satisfaction of doing it yourself and not having to wait for shipping etc, you can't really go wrong. Plus, it's well disguised and if you feel like installing the b/c stalk in the future, it's easy to remove and filling a 1/16" hole is no problem.
RCarboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 02:50 PM   #5
TheJukke

My Ride: e46 320d sedan
Hey! I don't have that yellow/red wire in my bimmer. Do you know what i have to do to get bc button?
TheJukke is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diy, obc, on board computer, retrofit