E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-21-2016, 07:11 PM   #21
CO_Steve

My Ride: 2003 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovs13 View Post
The port is hidden under the insulation.
Thanks, I'll explore some more.

Found it.

Last edited by CO_Steve; 10-21-2016 at 07:21 PM.
CO_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 09:01 PM   #22
lingon300k

My Ride: 2005 325xi Automatic
Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgkinsc330ci View Post
First off, lingon, excellent write-up. I wasn't expecting something so detailed when you said you were making a DIY. Additionally, thanks for your help and links the other day.

A few things worth mentioning in my experience with this so far (waiting for parts to ship):

1. It's not entirely necessary that you remove the throttle body when you go to do this job. While you're down there, of course, as you mentioned, it's wise to go ahead and clean it if it hasn't been cleaned. In my case, I was able to fit my hand by the CCV vacuum port and remove it, and put on the new hose. Kind of a tight fit, but I don't have small hands and it worked out fine. This time around, I ordered a TB gasket (Victor-Reinz from FCP) since I didn't replace that last time I cleaned my ICV and TB.

2. The CRP hose on FCP is great - especially if you're already ordering other parts, go ahead and add it to your order. However, if you're impatient like me, or in a cinch, you can go to your local auto parts store and pick up a 5/32" hose that fits equally as well. I do believe the metric for 5/32" is roughly ~3.9mm. Not too big of a difference in size, but again, I would opt for the 3.5 if it was viable for me.

3. Just thought it would be worth mentioning as well that an excellent alternative for throttle body cleaner is any fuel system cleaner. Particularly, I've used Lucas Fuel System Cleaner on the TB before and it cleaned it really well. Apparently lubricates the bushings on the valve of the TB as well. That being said, carburetor cleaner works well on the ICV too. Not that throttle body cleaner is anymore expensive than those two cleaners, but if you already have those then you can save yourself a few bucks.

I'll post back with any other notes I take from my install, and updates on my oil consumption. Currently, without the mod, I'm burning about a quart of oil every ~500 miles. Mobil 1 0W-40, if anyone's curious.

P.S - From the information I've gathered reading a majority of 02Pilot's original thread, the added crankcase vacuum is almost negligible. Especially in the context of cylinder wear.
Thanks!

If I remember correctly, it wouldn't have been possible for me with the throttle body still on the car. Maybe there's a difference in clearance on the XI? I know I tried to get my hand in there and couldn't. If someone is able to do this without removing the throttle body, and especially without removing the lower intake boot, that would be great.

The braided CRP hose definitely isn't the only option. It's just the best vacuum hose I've ever found, and I like to use it for everything. Especially things that are difficult to get to and I won't want to come back to any time soon.

I didn't want to write this, due to the dangers of doing such a thing, but acetone is amazing if you use it carefully and keep it on a q-tip or a rag. Whenever I clean a throttle body, I start with acetone and finish with throttle body cleaner. Unless you know exactly what you're doing, this isn't the best idea.

At that usage rate, you might want to go ahead and do the CCV at the same time. I hope the mod works out for you! Feel free to post here or send me a PM if you have any questions.

Quote:
Huh, I was under the impression that disconnecting that hose (since it leads to a vacuum canister, and then to the exhaust flap?) would create a small vacuum leak. I have the golf tee mod done on my car already, so I guess I didn't have to use the big port after all.
I checked on RealOEM.com, and it looks like--for the XI, at least--the line goes directly to the vacuum canister, then out to the exhaust: https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=18_0428

I doubt the XI has a different vacuum canister setup from the 330s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CO_Steve View Post
Guys,
Is there a version of the CCV that doesn't have the unused port? I have an 03 330xi and I replaced the CCV a couple of years ago. I have the cold weather version and everything is encased in a rubber foam insulator.
I cannot locate any unused ports on mine.

Thanks
Sort of. The cold weather version looks like it doesn't have it, but it's under the insulation if you cut it open.

You can see one cut open in this post:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...0&postcount=48
lingon300k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 09:30 PM   #23
CO_Steve

My Ride: 2003 330xi
I was able to get to the port on my 330xi just now without removing the throttle body. I took the bolts out of the electrical connector box and moved it aside.
I did remove both boots but that showed me they needed replacing anyway. The plugged port is plenty far left of the TB so no need to take it off.
CO_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 11:24 AM   #24
Dave1027

My Ride: '06 IR zhp coupe
I have many posts in O2Pilot's thread where I detail how I did the mod. It took me a total of 15 minutes and used 3 feet of cheap auto parts store vacuum hose. There is no need to remove anything but the plastic belly pan and the cabin filter.
Dave1027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 01:48 PM   #25
hodgkinsc330ci

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1027 View Post
I have many posts in O2Pilot's thread where I detail how I did the mod. It took me a total of 15 minutes and used 3 feet of cheap auto parts store vacuum hose. There is no need to remove anything but the plastic belly pan and the cabin filter.
Could you link us to one of your posts in his thread? I'd be really interested to see how you could access that port on the CCV from under the car. It seems like it'd be nearly impossible to get to.
[BMW Motors] Advertising has somehow convinced people that they're different. That they're made by magical Dachshunds who only eat special bratwursts made by virgins in an undisclosed magical spot inside of the black forest that can only be accessed via a special hydrogen powered BMW helicopter.
hodgkinsc330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 02:17 PM   #26
Dave1027

This is when I began experimenting with the mod:
http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...8#post28346368

This is when I redid the vacuum hose and discovered it was a breeze to attach the hose to the ccv from underneith:
http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...5#post28385355

This where I tested crankcase vacuum with the O2Pilot mod:
http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...9#post28458049

Last edited by Dave1027; 10-22-2016 at 02:28 PM.
Old 10-22-2016, 06:14 PM   #27
lingon300k

Quote:
Originally Posted by CO_Steve View Post
I was able to get to the port on my 330xi just now without removing the throttle body. I took the bolts out of the electrical connector box and moved it aside.
I did remove both boots but that showed me they needed replacing anyway. The plugged port is plenty far left of the TB so no need to take it off.
hodgkinsc330ci posted photos in another thread that made it look like this is a possibility. I'll link to this post and his post, when I find it, in the main post on this thread. The only reason to not remove the throttle body, in my opinion, is that it's already been cleaned recently. The lower intake boot is by far the most difficult part of this whole thing. The throttle body is possibly the easiest part. It's no more difficult than removing the cabin filter. Would you have been able to access the CCV without removing the lower intake boot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1027 View Post
If I remember correctly, you did this on an e39, right? I very well might be confusing you with someone else, though.

It's impossible to go this route on the xi. There's no ambiguity about it whatsoever. Someone--it might have been you--mentioned this and it was the first thing I checked when considering this mod.

It might very well be possible with the regular E46. I don't know. Most people go from the top, though. Do you have any photos of the access method from below? I would be glad to link to them in the main post here. I added a note in the main post, linking to the places where you mention this as a possibility.

Last edited by lingon300k; 10-22-2016 at 06:34 PM.
Old 10-22-2016, 06:34 PM   #28
hodgkinsc330ci

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330Ci
Quote:
Below is an image of the capped port on the CCV - forgive the LQ cell phone pic. The cap is already removed in the picture.

Here's my post from Spiffany's oil thread. As you can see in the first picture, there's room even with the TB still in place. However, it's a tight fit. I chose to later remove the TB so I could replace the gasket since I'm already down there.

I also still had the lower intake boot on the car when I took that picture - maybe it would be possible to do the job with it on there still, but keep in mind removing the nut on the throttle body that holds that electric control box will be next to impossible. That just makes trying to get the hose to the port on the CCV that much harder, as well as routing it to the rear of the manifold.
[BMW Motors] Advertising has somehow convinced people that they're different. That they're made by magical Dachshunds who only eat special bratwursts made by virgins in an undisclosed magical spot inside of the black forest that can only be accessed via a special hydrogen powered BMW helicopter.
hodgkinsc330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 06:38 PM   #29
lingon300k

Quote:
Here's my post from Spiffany's oil thread.
Thanks! I found that post a moment ago and already linked to it in the main post, but it's much better here with your notes. I'm removing that link and linking to this one.
Old 10-23-2016, 08:55 AM   #30
Dave1027

Quote:
Originally Posted by lingon300k View Post
If I remember correctly, you did this on an e39, right? I very well might be confusing you with someone else, though.

It's impossible to go this route on the xi. There's no ambiguity about it whatsoever. Someone--it might have been you--mentioned this and it was the first thing I checked when considering this mod.

It might very well be possible with the regular E46. I don't know. Most people go from the top, though. Do you have any photos of the access method from below? I would be glad to link to them in the main post here. I added a note in the main post, linking to the places where you mention this as a possibility.
I have an '06 ZHP and not only is it possible to do from the bottom on a standard E46 it's without a doubt the only way to go. Only takes two seconds to reach up and push it on the nipple and nothing is in the way.

But even on an Xi it's not mandatory to remove much. I did it the first time reaching down from the top behind the alternator. It's a stretch and I have to admit, I did struggle with getting the hose at the proper angle to slip on. But it's still beats the hell out of removing the throttle body.
Old 10-28-2016, 12:14 PM   #31
lingon300k

Step 1 in the original post has been updated with a note on removing the throttle body:
It is possible to access the port on the CCV unit without removing the throttle body. As you can see in the second note below, it was mentioned to me by a few people. I checked myself yesterday, and noticed that, if you detach and move the electrical distribution box, you can access the CCV without removing the throttle body. You have to detach that box anyway, to remove the throttle body. This is probably why I thought it necessary to remove the throttle body as well. I wasn't working in that area, so I can't tell, exactly, if the lower intake boot needs to be removed to detach the electrical box. Either way, I still recommend that you remove and clean the throttle body and IAC. The DIY I linked to still explains all steps involved here in step 1. The hardest part is removing and then replacing that lower intake boot--the throttle body is easy. If you're doing any of this, and as far as you know it hasn't been done, or hasn't been done recently, just remove and clean the throttle body and IAC.
Old 10-28-2016, 04:06 PM   #32
Poolman

My Ride: 525 BMW
I use a very long set of needle nose pliers, to remove the cap on the CCV and then use the pliers again to install the vacuum hose . Just remove the air filter and maf,,simple and quick.
Poolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 04:37 PM   #33
lingon300k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolman View Post
I use a very long set of needle nose pliers, to remove the cap on the CCV and then use the pliers again to install the vacuum hose . Just remove the air filter and maf,,simple and quick.
Assuming you manage to do this correctly, then how do you route the hose? Over the top of the engine? You still need to remove the panel covering the compartment where the master cylinder is, and you still need to remove the cabin filter and tray. It doesn't make any sense to save a few minutes by leaving the intake boots and wire harness box on. What if you snap the nipple on the CCV with your foot-long pliers?

I'm all for shortcuts, but this can't be done properly, from the top, without detaching that wire harness box. If you want a shortcut, you're probably better off attempting to do it from under the car like Dave1027 recommended. Just because you managed to do it, doesn't mean you should recommend it. It's a cowboy method through and through. (I wish there were a cowboy emoji.)

I still can't say anything with regard to going from below, because I have an XI and it isn't possible for me.

(Wait, are you even talking about an E46? You have your car listed as a 525.)

Last edited by lingon300k; 10-28-2016 at 04:38 PM.
Old 10-28-2016, 07:56 PM   #34
Solidjake
Zero. Leaks.

My Ride: '02 330i 6MT
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 08:35 PM   #35
Jason325xi
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2004 325xi 5speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidjake View Post
Dude...

I think I'm guna try this mod sometime next week
Adjustable koni yellow front struts, Rob43 9-way adjustable rear shocks, Special Rob43 lowering springs, supreme power drop hats, billet aluminum rear shock mounts, poly RTAB, G.A.S. Disa kit, G.A.S. 1.2bar expansion tank cap

I run 6010 overhead in a t-shirt!

Last edited by Jason325xi; 10-28-2016 at 08:42 PM.
Jason325xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 09:18 PM   #36
Megalocnus

My Ride: 05 330i ZHP/MT
Quote:
I'm all for shortcuts, but this can't be done properly, from the top, without detaching that wire harness box.
I am pretty sure I did it properly without removing the harness box and the throttle body, but I did remove the boots and the DISA valve. Long-nose pliers as mentioned come quite handy, but they have to be long. It was a bit more complicated for me since I had to deal with cold weather insulation covering the port on the side of the CCV. Had to cut a small hole in it to get access to the port.
You can safely reach down with the pliers, grab the cap gently, double check you're holding just the cap but not the port itself, and then just pull it out.
Install the vacuum hose on the port the same way with the pliers.
The ports on the back side of the intake are accessible by hand, but it's difficult to see what you are doing. I recommend to inspect the area using a mirror first, then reach down knowing what you're searching for, find the unused port by feeling.
Megalocnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 09:28 PM   #37
lingon300k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidjake View Post
Not all heroes wear capes.
Old 10-29-2016, 07:41 AM   #38
Poolman

My Ride: 525 BMW
Quote:
Assuming you manage to do this correctly, then how do you route the hose? Over the top of the engine? You still need to remove the panel covering the compartment where the master cylinder is, and you still need to remove the cabin filter and tray. It doesn't make any sense to save a few minutes by leaving the intake boots and wire harness box on. What if you snap the nipple on the CCV with your foot-long pliers?

I'm all for shortcuts, but this can't be done properly, from the top, without detaching that wire harness box. If you want a shortcut, you're probably better off attempting to do it from under the car like Dave1027 recommended. Just because you managed to do it, doesn't mean you should recommend it. It's a cowboy method through and through. (I wish there were a cowboy emoji.)

I still can't say anything with regard to going from below, because I have an XI and it isn't possible for me.

(Wait, are you even talking about an E46? You have your car listed as a 525.)
Well, I just run the hose out from where it comes and back around to the larger intake port, nothing incredibly hard about that , but ya know your probably right, you must study every side of that fly, before ya smash it,
Poolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 05:11 PM   #39
lingon300k

For anyone planning to do this modification soon:

I've had my intake manifold off, and will be taking a lot of pictures as I put everything back together. They'll probably be up by the end of the week. Hopefully they'll help illustrate things a bit better. I might also do a DIY on the CCV system, but I'm not sure yet.

Last edited by lingon300k; 10-31-2016 at 05:12 PM.
Old 11-06-2016, 06:13 PM   #40
BartenderPlease

My Ride: '03 540i/6 M-Sport
Very nice. I just did this and only removed the upper intake boot and loosened the harness junction box. 20 minutes start to clean up. Thank you!

.............................................@jb540i6

'02 JR/Naturbraun 330i M-Tech I | M-Tech II Fr. | Supersprint Headers | Remus Sport |
.....| SM Flywheel Conv. | 18" CH'ish reps | Short Shift | Orion V2.5 | RCR LED Tail |

'03 JB/Schwarz 540i M-Sport 337 | Decatted | Short Shift | Carbon Fiber Trim |

BartenderPlease is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
02pilot mod, ccv, oil burning, oil catch can, oil consumption