E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2016, 07:25 PM   #21
eforer

My Ride: 03 325Ci
Alright I did the compression test today, found some time from work so I didn't have to have a shop do it.

I know the spec is 142-156psi for e46

Mine showed between 175-185 for cylinders 1 thru 5, possibly because 325 has compression rate of 10.5-1 as opposed to 330s being 10.25-1

I did every cylinder twice and fuel pump fuse was removed, cranked engine 5 times

Cylinder 6 which is where I have my misfire read 70psi.

Went in with a boroscope and saw a slight shiny bit on the the top of the Piston near the relief area for the valves, on the exhaust side.

Couldn't clearly make out a bent exhaust valve on the camera but it doesn't have to be off by much to cause a problem.

I removed my CCV today which only took about 3 hours wasn't as horrible as every makes it out to be, just cut the old hoses instead of trying to unclip them from the CCV unit.

Inspected inside the CCV, no gunky yellow buildup it just probably failed due to the high pressure of engine running over 7500rpm.

I'll be attempting to remove the cylinder head and inspecting it, I also found a local cyldiner head for e46 for $500, 2000km on it. Are these interchangeable between 323/325/328/330 or are they different for each engine size

Last edited by eforer; 11-08-2016 at 07:26 PM.
eforer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 07:38 PM   #22
Rob43
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 03 331Ci 5spd R1200R
Considering what you just posted, I have no Idea why you're bothering with a different head.

Go to your local dealer (or online) & purchase an exhaust valve and valve seal, then install & lap in.

Done.

Rob43

Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 SCCA
(DynoDynamics https:vimeo.com/8486878 Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

I BUILD SUSPENSIONS (Consult) FROM MILD TO WILD FOR RWD & Xi E46's
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
I Know How To Fix The Rear "Bouncing" Problem On Your Cheap Coilovers Like: Jom RL FK SE & RK.
Rob43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 08:51 PM   #23
eforer

My Ride: 03 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob43 View Post
Considering what you just posted, I have no Idea why you're bothering with a different head.

Go to your local dealer (or online) & purchase an exhaust valve and valve seal, then install & lap in.

Done.

Rob43

It's just an option for when I get head inspected, if it's warped it would be cheaper than getting it machined
eforer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 09:01 PM   #24
Rob43
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 03 331Ci 5spd R1200R
Quote:
Originally Posted by eforer View Post
It's just an option for when I get head inspected, if it's warped it would be cheaper than getting it machined

If it never got HOT in an overheat scenario, 99.9% says it straight....

Rob43

Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 SCCA
(DynoDynamics https:vimeo.com/8486878 Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

I BUILD SUSPENSIONS (Consult) FROM MILD TO WILD FOR RWD & Xi E46's
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
I Know How To Fix The Rear "Bouncing" Problem On Your Cheap Coilovers Like: Jom RL FK SE & RK.
Rob43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 09:09 AM   #25
Landlorder

My Ride: 330CI Sport
Yo just change the valves etc ! ! Im at 200k miles now with a money shift i did at 140k 5 years ago...!

Tags
damage, engine, shift, valve, valve adjustment