E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-16-2016, 01:56 AM   #1
TWR

My Ride: E46
Bluetooth

Hi all, you might have read these Bluetooth posts before but I will ask, I have a BMW E46 2004 Coupe, on the steering wheel I have the Microphone / TL buttons for the use of an on board phone, I have tried the buttons with no avail!, I would like to get this option up & running, what do I need to get this sorted to use? I'm in the UK as the Spec will be different than the USA, I have read a bit about the Parrot Bluetooth, would this set up be a better option? I would like to keep the car as Original as possible, I pulled back the Near Side Boot ( Trunk ) Panel yesterday, there's no wires visible there.tia.
TWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-11-2017, 03:45 PM   #2
Tiffan

My Ride: 2000 323Ci
Ditto. We Want Bluetooth in our e46!

I'd love to know as well, as I am inheriting a 2000 323Ci, and if we ever move back home to California, we need to be 100% hands free. I've seen several head units that are bluetooth, but they seem to take the whole space for both components, so I wonder how the AC controls would integrate with a new head unit. Any help would be greatly appreciated! And pics if you've already modified with the bluetooth phone system!
Tiffan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 04:03 PM   #3
GabeB

My Ride: 2002 325ci
I found a new Pioneer head unit that met my requirements the best. It has bluetooth, a microphone in the sunglass holder, and I can stream my podcasts to it. Only cost about $100 and an hour to install. It's single din so the AC controls stay but some people have put in double din and moved the controls to the sunglass holder. Oh, if you want to have the steering wheel controls for the audio you need an adapter that cost about $40. I didn't buy it and don't really miss them.
GabeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 07:28 PM   #4
Megalocnus

My Ride: 05 330i ZHP/MT
I have or had both Parrot CK3000 connected via CTPPAR007 adaptor (in my previous E46), and retrofitted a brand new ULF13 in my current car.
The OE solution is slightly better, but also substantially more expensive.
To install an ULF or TCU module, the car has to be prewired for Bluetooth, which should be indicated in the in the trunk. Even if prewired, some of the needed parts are no longer available from BMW. These include the center console pairing button, and the wires going to that button. That was a couple of years ago, not sure about today.
If the car isn't prewired, it's much easier to just go with the Parrot kit.

Last edited by Megalocnus; 01-11-2017 at 07:40 PM.
Megalocnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 08:32 PM   #5
jeepo23

My Ride: 2008 X3, 6 Speed
You need a TCU module, microphone and bluetooth antenna.
Old 01-12-2017, 12:54 AM   #6
TWR

Hi Tiffan
I had the Parrot Blue tooth fitted in my BMW E46 318ci 2004, it was the cheapest option, to wire up & connect to the Steering wheel is a costly job, the who job for me to fit 80 UK GBP, I bout the Parrot off ebay for 65, it's working well, you can position the Screen anywhere you want regards control, I hope this helps you. TWR
Old 01-12-2017, 01:01 AM   #7
Diggedy

My Ride: BMW 330D M Sport
did you still have radio control from the steering wheel after fitting the parrot or did you lose that? When you say its expensive to wire it up to the steering wheel, is that just for the voice activation button or the the radio controls too?
Diggedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 02:55 AM   #8
Megalocnus

A Parrot Bluetooth alone can be wired to the radio, but will not respond to the steering wheel buttons. You need a separate module specific to both your car and the Parrot unit.
Such modules may cost about as much as the Parrot itself, but having a steering wheel control is well worth the money.

Last edited by Megalocnus; 01-12-2017 at 06:04 AM.
Old 01-12-2017, 04:00 AM   #9
TWR

Hi Diggedy

It's wired to knock out the radio when you receive a call, as soon as the called is ended the Radio comes back In play, I wanted the system to work through the Steering Wheel but the cost was far too much, I wanted the car to be original with the Instruments but not at the cost of setting up the Steering Wheel Buttons, the reception from the Bluetooth is very good & has given no problem, check out ebay for a unit ( Parrot) that has come out of a E46, that way you do not have to buy extra plugs etc, but make sure of this before buying, also check the sellers returns policy.
Old 01-12-2017, 02:31 PM   #10
jeepo23

My Ride: 2008 X3, 6 Speed
$200 to get the steering wheel buttons to work and it be OEM if your car is pre-wired for telephone. As I said, you need TCU there is quite a few to choose from some go for like 40$ on ebay. A Microphone and Bluetooth antenna - at the end of the day $200 is on the higher end of getting this setup.
Old 01-12-2017, 05:08 PM   #11
Diggedy

Are you guys talking about the phone button on the steering wheel?

I only want to be able to control my stereo volume, I'm not bothered about answering calls with the steering wheel. Will the volume controls on the wheel still control the stereo with this kit fitted?
Old 01-12-2017, 09:38 PM   #12
Megalocnus

^Of course, you should not lose volume, radio station, and cruise control functions, whichever way you chose to go. In addition to these you gain functionality for the cell phone buttons. It's well worth the money IMO.

This is the Parrot CK3000 integration solution I had in my previous car: http://www.bokchoys.com/differential..._bluetooth.htm
The parts are still available on Ebay and the whole kit can be assembled for under $100.
Old 01-12-2017, 11:13 PM   #13
Diggedy

Ah thanks, its just a previous car I had it prevented the steering wheel cable from being plugged in and I had to pay for a separate adapter to get that functionality back so I wanted to check before I go out and buy. Im thinking of getting the MKI9000 so I can have bluetooth music streaming with USB and aux in. My car has the cassette deck and its just as cheap to buy the newer parrott and sell my CK3100 than change the head unit

Last edited by Diggedy; 01-13-2017 at 01:57 AM.