E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Motorsports & Track Forum

Motorsports & Track Forum
From Auto-X to Trackday to Racing and Professional Motorsports this is the place to discuss making BMWs fast

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-23-2016, 10:38 AM   #1
MDGearhead

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330ci
Track Tire Question

I am looking at the Federal RS-R tires for my coupe for track day tires. According to the reviews they run wide so I was looking at either the 235/40/17 or the 235/45/17. The 40 sidewall would be a little shorter than stock the 45 a little taller than stock. I plan to run a square setup with 8.5x17 wheels.

Any input is appreciated.
MDGearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-28-2016, 10:22 PM   #2
elgreengo

My Ride: e46 touring, e36m3
Hey MDG, my favorite tire size is either 245/40 or 255/40/17, on a square setup. I'd go with the 245's to match your 8.5" wheels perfectly.

Also, check out the budget friendly Hankook Rs3, or the new Nexen N'Fera Sur4 (wtf with the long name). I know a couple guys that vouch for them. Great price, 200 treadwear, heat tolerant.
I love the Bridgestone re71r, and direzza star specs, etc, but the above listed may be best for the money.
elgreengo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 10:23 PM   #3
elgreengo

My Ride: e46 touring, e36m3
Hey MDG, my favorite tire size is either 245/40 or 255/40/17, on a square setup. I'd go with the 245's to match your 8.5" wheels perfectly.

Also, check out the budget friendly Hankook Rs3, or the new Nexen N'Fera Sur4 (wtf with the long name). I know a couple guys that vouch for them. Great price, 200 treadwear, heat tolerant.
I love the Bridgestone re71r, and direzza star specs, etc, but the above listed may be best for the money.
https://www.nexentireusa.com/tires/h...ce/n-fera-sur4
elgreengo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 09:42 AM   #4
MDGearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgreengo View Post

https://www.nexentireusa.com/tires/h...ce/n-fera-sur4
Thanks for the feedback, I will definitely check those out. The Hancoocks have been recommended before but I have never heard of the Nexen.
Old 12-21-2016, 07:08 PM   #5
pvaultguy

My Ride: 2004 330i
Track Tire Question

I've never heard of Federal or Nexen tires, but that doesn't mean they aren't good. I have been using 245/40R17 Hankook R-S3. They have been holding up well. I see others with R-S3, Bridgestone, and Dunlop at the track.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app

Last edited by pvaultguy; 12-21-2016 at 07:12 PM.
pvaultguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 01:08 PM   #6
rickyboycz

My Ride: 2002 E46 M3
I run the Federal 595 RS-RR tires on my E46 M3 at the track. I was about to go with the R's, but thought I'd give the double R's a try first. I was able to get a full set for around $400 less than a set of RS-3's, so seemed low risk gamble. They seem to run about 20mm width greater than what they're advertised as. I'm running 255's and they're more like 275's.

The ride quality isn't as good as the Hankook's and they're noisy...almost sound like mud tires. The grip seems to be on par with the Hankook's, but they tend to fall off about 3/4 through a 20 minute session. Not sure how they'll fare in the hot summer, but have been pretty good this fall/winter thus far. You really need to let them warm up adequately before getting on them as I hear you may end up with a horizontal split through the tread.

To get a set of these guys at $520 shipped to my front door, that's pretty dang good even if they don't perform quite as well as Hankook's. It's a low cost to fun ratio if you ask me.
rickyboycz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 01:11 PM   #7
MDGearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyboycz View Post
I run the Federal 595 RS-RR tires on my E46 M3 at the track. I was about to go with the R's, but thought I'd give the double R's a try first. I was able to get a full set for around $400 less than a set of RS-3's, so seemed low risk gamble. They seem to run about 20mm width greater than what they're advertised as. I'm running 255's and they're more like 275's.

The ride quality isn't as good as the Hankook's and they're noisy...almost sound like mud tires. The grip seems to be on par with the Hankook's, but they tend to fall off about 3/4 through a 20 minute session. Not sure how they'll fare in the hot summer, but have been pretty good this fall/winter thus far. You really need to let them warm up adequately before getting on them as I hear you may end up with a horizontal split through the tread.

To get a set of these guys at $520 shipped to my front door, that's pretty dang good even if they don't perform quite as well as Hankook's. It's a low cost to fun ratio if you ask me.
Thanks for the input, where did you buy yours from?
Old 12-28-2016, 01:25 PM   #8
rickyboycz

My Ride: 2002 E46 M3
Off of Amazon at a place called UHP tires. Below is the link.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
rickyboycz is offline   Reply With Quote