E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-25-2016, 02:26 PM   #1
cwithbmw

My Ride: 2002 330Ci 2009 335i
The Definitive EASY OBD USB THREAD E46/E36/E39+ - Complete Walkthrough 2017 edition

Images and more software guides coming asap, as soon as this line is removed, I have added all I will to the original thread

Hello E46Fanatics and other folk,

To start: This thread is entirely inspired and possible because of 'stevenluczynski' thread 'BMW USB OBD Diagnostic Thread': http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=898241 therefore I do not consider all of this information my own, I'm just laying it out in one place with my own experiences added in. This is an up-to-date re-structuring of most information posted on E46Fanatics (thread continually updated) related to the BMW E46 DME (Most information applicable to 1996-2017 BMW DMEs, but good luck after 2012 models). More shoutouts to follow, I can't even begin to remember how this was all pieced together. Big shoutout to jfoj for his Diagnostics guide and constant support with his graph-eyes.

BlueBee guide (BMW-North is a heavy contributor) containing all of this information, incredibly detailed and in-depth: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...63&postcount=1

Have you ever wanted to learn how to program your E46 ECU, but always get stuck with either software not working completely, or not knowing where to find certain information? THIS THREAD IS FOR YOU!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

WHAT TO BUY/WHY TO BUY

eBay link to OBD cable + software: http://www.ebay.com/itm/231931285961...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

eBay user providing software + cable: catastefy

Details: Seller sends you cable (pin 7 + 8 connected) and 2 DVDs containing all of the aforementioned software. Furthermore, during installation, you need to eBay message him a unique ID, that he will then provide a reply code to crack all of the software.

I have been scratching my head on why exactly this is needed; but since all of the software works perfectly, passes any suspicious activity from Comodo Valkyrie file verdict system, and works without internet connectivity: I have reason to believe this eBay seller is protecting his profit by a simple generate/response 'uuid' program. I'm creating this thread due to the fact that all of this software 100% works to interface with your BMW DME (as if you were a legit BMW dealership) regardless of the VM's internet connection.

If you have bought a cable off eBay and it does not have a custom software installation progress, I would recommend buying this seller's listing, as you may have a hard time getting all of the software to work that I am about to talk about.

Your computer will be even more loaded with fully working software than most BMW shops have (You will also likely be simulating the hardware environments, unlike shops that have to buy expensive, crappy terminals; meaning your tunes will be faster and the software will respond quicker).

eBay seller also provides technical support, going even as far as using TeamViewer to help you out. I had to message him a few times to get everything 100% perfect.

PREFACE NOTES:

- ALWAYS have a battery charger (set to charge mode - ~10A minimum) connected to your battery before ANY of the following steps. You can brick your DME if this step is not followed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaliDawg View Post
A safer option, the one I use, is to connect jumper cables to another good battery instead of using a charger. The second battery effectively doubles the capacity. Some chargers use AC and/or change the charging voltage, which is not a good idea during a flash update.
- The OBD port from your car powers the USB interface cable, not the other way around. Therefore, when installing USB drivers, plug the cable into your laptop first, then plug into OBD, then set key to position 2, the position that turns on all electronics (radio, climate controls, etc.), right before the position to strike engine on.

- If Windows is not recognizing your cable (USB Serial COM1) after installing the driver, simply reboot XP. If you only see a Communications device in your port list through Device Manager, assign it to COM2-9 instead, reboot, and then cancel the driver install dialog that pops up automatically, re-install the seller's USB drivers. It may take a few times of restarting the XP VM to have it auto-detect your cable as USB Serial (COM1). The cable must be identified as COM1 for anything to work.

Please see catastefy guide here for easy instruction on driver setup and basic interaction with all the software, including his uuid process: ///link coming asap///

After XP always identifies your OBD cable as 'USB Serial Interface (COM1)', you can consider your VM environment 'configured' and you will be good to go with the individual software how-to steps in the rest of this guide.

- There are certain parts of this guide that I will need to leave incomplete due to the licensing nature of both the software we are trying to install, and the data we are trying to obtain (SP-Daten files). When I say 'Obtain XX', please use google and knowledge of modern peer to peer download practices to get said files. This includes Virtual Machine software and your Windows .iso file. 0 PM me if you need a better explanation of why I can't post that info in this thread.

SIDE NOTE:

This guide is intended for ECU modification. For OBD diagnostics on your engine and ECU, follow these steps:

- Purchase this wifi iOS/Android transmitter (cheap!): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A1GLTOK8L9INK7

- Purchase app OBD FUSION on Apple Store or Google Play ($10).

- Set your log settings to jfoj recommendations (see attachment for full document) if you'd like for fanatics to be better able to diagnose your engine's health.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

STEP 1:

Operating System

I am writing solely from the perspective that you are running a virtual machine of Windows XP inside of another operating system. For the most part everything should apply to you running Windows (x) in a number of hardware environments, virtually simulated or not. If you are actually running a Windows XP laptop, disregard all this VM mumbo-jumbo, also flashing might take more than 25 minutes.

catastefy says his drivers and software will work on Windows XP through 10. Guide will later be updated to verify it runs on Vista, 7, 8, & 10. For now, I will be running Windows XP Volume License inside of VMWare Fusion on OS X 10.11.6 (the most recent OS X version available).

- Install Windows XP on your laptop or VM software from the host OS.
- Make sure you are using at least 3GB of RAM in your VM config, and 40GB of HDD space (I know, it's ridiculous, but essential.)
- If your VM software asks if you'd like to link your current OS data to the VM, select YES.
- If your VM software asks you to link all external devices to your VM, select YES (This may just be what makes this guide EASY).

- Copy the seller's DVD package into your VM. Or make sure you have access to it from your host OS.

Do not do the next steps without copying the content from the DVDs to your local drive (The rest of this guide should be done without that DVD ever entering your computer again. We just want to copy the data from the DVDs and forget about them after that data is on your computer).

If you have linked your native OS with the VM Win XP, feel free to save it anywhere. If your VM and native OS are separated, you must explore the DVD from the VM, and copy the contents into your VM environment's local drive.

- Run start.exe and the .7z files will be unzipped. Give it some time and ensure you have AT LEAST 40GB of space in your VM AND on your host OS drive. Not having enough disk space means that some software will not install (Namely SSS/Progman, because for some reason that ****er is 30GB in size and has a picky 'check disk space' installation script. See below for workaround.)

- After successful extraction, run Software Installer.exe.

- Then install the USB drivers. You likely have already encountered the USB driver dialog popup when you first booted XP in your VM with the cable attached. As mentioned before, cancel the driver that automatically pops up in XP, and run the seller's driver from Software Installer.exe instead. Even if you install the default drivers, you can install the seller's driver and get it to be recognized automatically with enough reboots of XP.

The easiest way to tell if your cable is being recognized by Windows and will function inside of every application is to open Device Manager (right click My Computer, Properties, Hardware, Device Manager) and see if under Ports (COM & LPT) USB Serial (COM1) is listed.

Last edited by cwithbmw; 12-25-2016 at 04:10 PM.
cwithbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-25-2016, 02:27 PM   #2
cwithbmw

reserved

Software Installation

- Using the seller's exe, install Inpa / NCSexpert / WinKFP
- Install TIS (TIS is technically a component of DIS/GT1)
- Skip Navcoder
- Install Vmware (notes below)
- Install DIS
- Install SSS/Progman

DIS and SSS are setup to run within a VMware workstation (In my case, a VM inside of a VM, aka not possible.)

However, we can run the .vmx file from OS X as a linked VM next to our XP VM (I don't understand how this works to be honest, but it does.)

At this point your VM has all software installed, configured just as a dealership computer, and ready to go.

You cannot run a virtual machine inside of another virtual machine. For that reason, after installing DIS and SSS, we need to run the .vmx file from your host OS, instead of from within the VM environment.

INPA Guide v5.0.6 - Latest version

INPA is in my opinion the most quickly powerful piece of OBD software for /absolute/ DME commands. When INPA says it is doing or has done something, it has.

- With key in position 2, upon launching INPA, you should see both Battery On and Ignition On. If you see this your cable is working properly.

- Shift + F6 (Turn on basic functionality for F keys if you are on a Macbook) to select E46 Engine/Transmission/Chassis/Body/Communication.

Engine: Know what engine you have, in my case, M54 = MS43 DME

More coming very soon!

WinKFP Guide - Upgrade your DME

- Obtaining sp-daten files - Google around for a download of BMW SP-DATEN files. The package will contain essentially all DME updates for most BMWs. I only used the /e46/ folder when I imported my SP-DATEN to WinKFP/NCSExpert.

- www.bmwfans.info serial search - The easiest way to find out what serial your DME, or the DME you are looking to tune to, is to look it up on this website.

For EU2 tune, you would of course select a european model e46.
The last 7 digits (darkened on the bmwfans.info) on the left column are what you will need to input into ZUSB within WinKFP

- You need to import your SP-DATEN files into the proper folders of WinKFP and NCSExpert.

Use this tool provided in the software package: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bz...TQ1dEFYZlR4Smc

- After importing the SP-DATEN files you will be good to go.

- Ensure battery charger is running, open up WinKFP, select comfort mode, and enter the last 7 digits of that serial number when "Enter ZUSB" prompt comes up.
- Ensure you disable UIF writing
- Ensure you select LOW BAUDRATE before flashing

- Flash will begin. First stage takes about 20 minutes, second stage takes under 5 minutes. BaliDawg notes that MS45.1 take 45 minutes.

- After it is complete, turn key to position 0 and wait 20 seconds.

- Turn key back to position 1, ensure cable is detected in your VM, launch INPA

- Go to your engine and clear adaptation values (clear throttle adaptation last)

You are now tuned to EU2 or whichever tune you preferred!

Guide coming soon

Last edited by cwithbmw; 12-25-2016 at 03:15 PM.
Old 12-25-2016, 02:27 PM   #3
cwithbmw

reserverd

DIS Guide Weird piece of dealership software that can step you through different diagnostics on your E46. Haven't read of too many people really using this.

Coming soon

SSS/PROGMAN GUIDE Turn on certain functoins like having your doors auto-lock when you shift into drive.

Coming soon

Last edited by cwithbmw; 12-25-2016 at 02:55 PM.
Old 12-25-2016, 02:27 PM   #4
cwithbmw

reserved

TROUBLESHOOTING
Old 12-25-2016, 02:42 PM   #5
BMW-North
// Quandt AG (Retired) //

My Ride: AMv8,e46x3,e90,e83
Not sure what this thread is about??? Can you provide a purpose? Title says: EASY OBD USB THREAD E46/E36/E39+ then I see some stuff about OBD Fusion then some more about INPA. I use both of these tools - neither with USB. Then there is a non permanent link to an eBay seller who has packaged a widely available pirated (read free) version of DIS along with a cable for $35.

Am I missing something here???

The best version of INPA for e46 is the one linked in my signature - it contains the special tests for e46 - not in all versions, plus the specific Daten files and it installs in UK English - guess what - it's free.

As far as OBD Fusion goes - I just followed JFOJ instructions to get it and have been happy since.

I really must've missed something here - is this thread for rewriting the DME to a Euro tune since you talked about writing to the DME in one of your reserved posts??

BTW - I've ran DIS in VMWare - it is probably the most unstable tool that we have available for the e46 since it is very particular to the host hardware/software and was pirated off an old Thinkpad. - How is that definative?

Last edited by BMW-North; 12-25-2016 at 02:48 PM.
BMW-North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 02:46 PM   #6
cwithbmw

I'm not sure how you can be confused about what this guide is about.. I am adding the further software guides later today and tomorrow.

e: I used the word easy because of the streamlined process of the software package. I will also be providing links and/or linking to your uploads for certain software. This is not meant to go against anything your bimmerfest thread says, I'm just condensing and writing about my own experience from using a pre-packaged software installer from an eBay seller so that fanatics can get up to speed quickly.

Last edited by cwithbmw; 12-25-2016 at 03:02 PM.
Old 12-25-2016, 03:01 PM   #7
BMW-North

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwithbmw View Post
I'm not sure how you can be confused about what this guide is about.. I am adding the further software guides later today and tomorrow.

Well for a start. You mention OBD fusion - it has a completely different interface than INPA and is already well documented on here. INPA and BMW Standard Tools (of which it is a part) is documented to death on here and every other BMW forum. And PA Soft which is probably the most common go-to tool that e46 owners are using outside the DME is already one of the most popular threads on this forum.

Making sense of INPA, EDIABAS, NCSExpert, NCS Dummies, DIS/GT1, EasyDIS, & Progman

Official PA Soft BMW Scanner Diagnostic Thread

PA Soft for Dummies

OBD Fusion - How to Log Data

Download a clean working copy of BMW Standard Tools that includes the special tests for E46 (Single Downloadable File format) Refer to the link above (Making sense of....) for the correct cable and install directions:
BMW Standard Tools Full Version

BMW Standard Tools (includes the following)
INPA
EDIABAS
WINKFP
NCS Expert
Tool32

So where is this thread going that existing threads have not already answered? Or is the title of the thread just wrong?

Last edited by BMW-North; 12-25-2016 at 03:24 PM.
Old 12-25-2016, 03:06 PM   #8
BaliDawg
Keepin' it real stock

My Ride: E24 E32 E46 E39 E84
For the upgrade your dme section, here are the actual steps you do from my thread.
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...0&postcount=94
Old 12-25-2016, 03:16 PM   #9
BMW-North

Quote:
e: I used the word easy because of the streamlined process of the software package. I will also be providing links and/or linking to your uploads for certain software. This is not meant to go against anything your bimmerfest thread says, I'm just condensing and writing about my own experience from using a pre-packaged software installer from an eBay seller so that fanatics can get up to speed quickly.

The links I posted above provide software (at no charge) that I can attest to - works perfectly, and comes with plenty of instruction. It is quite likely that your eBay Seller is offering the same pirated version of DIS that is available at no cost - I still don't get this thread unless it is a sales pitch to the ebay link???

Last edited by BMW-North; 12-25-2016 at 03:27 PM.
Old 12-25-2016, 03:21 PM   #10
cwithbmw

Thanks BaliDawg! I have updated the guide to mention MS45.1 taking 45 minutes. Is it true that when selecting Update ZUSB, as opposed to Choose ZUSB, it automatically selects the most current DME update?

BMW-North: I mention that this thread is for DME modification, and if you want to do diagnostics, to use OBD Fusion and follow jfoj's guidelines. Your thread is very large and contains a lot of information. This thread is a streamlined introduction to using these tools . I'm still confused why you are being combative against me providing a step-by-step, simplified guide to BMW coding?

e: I know the software is free, as most people do. The eBay link is a cable with software included, that comes in a self-installing package. Great for non-technical people, which is what this guide is getting at. Not everyone has time to sort through a gigantic explanation of all BMW tools.

Last edited by cwithbmw; 12-25-2016 at 03:24 PM.
Old 12-25-2016, 03:34 PM   #11
BMW-North

Quote:
BMW-North: I mention that this thread is for DME modification, and if you want to do diagnostics, to use OBD Fusion and follow jfoj's guidelines. Your thread is very large and contains a lot of information. This thread is a streamlined introduction to using these tools . I'm still confused why you are being combative against me providing a step-by-step, simplified guide to BMW coding?

e: I know the software is free, as most people do. The eBay link is a cable with software included, that comes in a self-installing package. Great for non-technical people, which is what this guide is getting at. Not everyone has time to sort through a gigantic explanation of all BMW tools.
Then why link to an eBay seller for the same stuff members can get free?

And the title of your thread is (quote): The Definitive EASY OBD USB THREAD E46/E36/E39+ - Complete Walkthrough 2017 edition

If it is a thread about coding the DME then get a different title instead of using the term On Board Diagnostics and two of the absolute best diagnostic tools you plan to "document" can interface to the host without USB (Serial, wifi or bluetooth) so how is the thread title even close???
Old 12-25-2016, 03:54 PM   #12
BMW-North

BTW - Don't give me credit for the guide on the Bimmerfest forum - that should be given to BlueBee who has provided the most comprehensive guides on e39 and e46 platforms to date - of any BMW forum - I was merely a contributor - Bluebee is a legend.

For the $35 your link to eBay costs for DIS I can buy an EDIABAS cable ($9.99) OBD Fusion ($9.99) and BT OBD dongle ($3,99) and a version of BMW Scanner with cable ($10.99)

Using existing threads and links to free known good software this would give me the following OBD Diagnostic Tools all for less than your eBay link

1. INPA
2. NCS Expert
3. WinKFP

4. PA Soft BMW Scanner 1.4

5. OBD Fusion

The ediabas cable (used by BMW Standard Tools (INPA & NCS Expert) also allows for the use of what post one offers for $35) (but there would be no need to as the apps above are more stable more user friendly and provide better functionality)

6. DIS
7. Progman
8. SSS

9. TIS - is nothing more than an outdated Technical Bulletin library that was copied many years ago.

So one could get all the above (1-9) for less than what you are recommending in post #1 for $35 (which is basically DIS etc 6-9) . - Cause you say it is simpler to install.

Sounds like a deal to me .....good luck with the thread.

Last edited by BMW-North; 12-25-2016 at 04:17 PM.
Old 12-25-2016, 04:07 PM   #13
cwithbmw

I can remove the eBay mention. I honestly wanted to write this guide after how easy the whole process was, after reading the thread I first link to. I can see how linking to a seller and claiming his software installer to be great could be seen as suspicious.

I was trying to document, in one place, all of the information I ended up needing when I learned to mod my DME, from purchase to finishing a flash.

Thread title could be better, in my mind OBD USB is a direct reference to using an OBD USB cable into a computer to use BMW tools. I ended up learning of this seller through googling 'E46 OBD USB' and finding the e46fanatics thread, so I wanted to help out people that query that into google with a guide.

Mods, please delete the thread since people can just google better to find this information. In the meantime, I'm going to finish compiling information I've used, just in case any fanatics do find it useful.

Last edited by cwithbmw; 12-25-2016 at 04:08 PM.
Old 12-27-2016, 10:47 AM   #14
Overboost
Binary is in my DNA

My Ride: 2002 325i
Quote:
I can remove the eBay mention. I honestly wanted to write this guide after how easy the whole process was, after reading the thread I first link to. I can see how linking to a seller and claiming his software installer to be great could be seen as suspicious.

I was trying to document, in one place, all of the information I ended up needing when I learned to mod my DME, from purchase to finishing a flash.

Thread title could be better, in my mind OBD USB is a direct reference to using an OBD USB cable into a computer to use BMW tools. I ended up learning of this seller through googling 'E46 OBD USB' and finding the e46fanatics thread, so I wanted to help out people that query that into google with a guide.

Mods, please delete the thread since people can just google better to find this information. In the meantime, I'm going to finish compiling information I've used, just in case any fanatics do find it useful.
I have a question that can be useful to me. I bought the PA Soft 1.4 cable and software to program my folding mirrors to the key fob but it is grayed out and has been suggested I need to add code $313 to my vehicle order. In everyone's knowledgeable opinion, would NCS Expert be the best program to accomplish this? What is the difference between the comm cables for PA Soft and NCS Expert? Will my PA Soft cable work?

Overboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 12:33 PM   #15
jfoj
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 330CiC, M5, X5, E93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overboost View Post
What is the difference between the comm cables for PA Soft and NCS Expert? Will my PA Soft cable work?
You cannot use the PA Soft/BMW Scanner 1.4.0 cable for the INPA, NCS Expert etc.

The PA Soft/BMW Scanner 1.4.0 cable is more of a specific "dongle" than a USB to OBDII cable. You can get the USB to OBDII cables for like $15, but there are a lot of options to choose from with different chipsets and CANBus support as well.

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temp, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose temp switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 12:41 PM   #16
Overboost
Binary is in my DNA

That's the answer I was looking for! Thank you jfoj. I am not opposed to buying the best cable and software for INPA, NCS Expert but would ask your advise on which link to buy it from. You are much more knowledgeable than I am on which eBay kits are best. Thanks again!

Sent from my E46Fanatics mobile app

Old 12-27-2016, 01:00 PM   #17
BaliDawg
Keepin' it real stock

Quote:
...buying the best cable and software for INPA, NCS Expert...
Several people in my DME/EGS update thread have bought this one as it comes with the cable, complete software, installer, and support from the seller.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/231781224487

BMW-North also has download links in his signature for the full software setup.
Old 12-27-2016, 02:51 PM   #18
Overboost
Binary is in my DNA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaliDawg View Post
Several people in my DME/EGS update thread have bought this one as it comes with the cable, complete software, installer, and support from the seller.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/231781224487

BMW-North also has download links in his signature for the full software setup.
Thank you Balidawg. The link you gave me is currently out of stock but I see more on eBay that do have what looks like the same cable. This is where I ask for help. They all show a CD with the cable and my question is do they include the correct software needed or just the USB drivers? I am not wanting to flash my DME, just adding $313 folding mirror option to the vehicle order modules that control the convenience settings in my PA Soft 1.4 software. It is currently grayed out. What do you guys recommend?

This is the link I saw that had stock. *EDIT* I went ahead and ordered this one. It looked like software is included.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-INPA-Edi...101664&vxp=mtr

Last edited by Overboost; 12-27-2016 at 04:15 PM.
Old 12-27-2016, 04:47 PM   #19
BaliDawg
Keepin' it real stock

Quote:
Thank you Balidawg. The link you gave me is currently out of stock but I see more on eBay that do have what looks like the same cable. This is where I ask for help. They all show a CD with the cable and my question is do they include the correct software needed or just the USB drivers? I am not wanting to flash my DME, just adding $313 folding mirror option to the vehicle order modules that control the convenience settings in my PA Soft 1.4 software. It is currently grayed out. What do you guys recommend?

This is the link I saw that had stock. *EDIT* I went ahead and ordered this one. It looked like software is included.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-INPA-Edi...101664&vxp=mtr
I doubt that listing includes the software; probably just the Windows drivers for that cable.
Old 12-27-2016, 04:53 PM   #20
Overboost
Binary is in my DNA

There were other listings at $15.00 and reading description only mentioned drivers. This listing showed a software package. We'll see at least I have the cable. What do other members do to get the proper software

Sent from my E46Fanatics mobile app

Tags
dme, dme flash, ecu, engine flash, eu2 tune