E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 42 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-11-2014, 11:25 AM   #21
avincent52

My Ride: 325iT 5 speed/Sport
Glad this worked for you. I had forgotten I posted this, but the advice from this site has saved me thousands of dollars, so I'm happy to share a little with my fellow Fanatics.
avincent52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 11:52 AM   #22
phoopsta

My Ride: 02 330xi 3-pedal
Quote:
Originally Posted by avincent52 View Post
Glad this worked for you. I had forgotten I posted this, but the advice from this site has saved me thousands of dollars, so I'm happy to share a little with my fellow Fanatics.
hmm I am starting to think it may be actually a battery. It is still wanting to work when it waANTS. I thought this solved the problem but the problem is back.
Old 08-11-2014, 07:11 PM   #23
scottjoh

My Ride: '99 323i & '02 540i
Broken connection, cracked solder joint or component most likely. If it works best right after charging then likely a bad MOSFET.
scottjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 07:26 PM   #24
Mr Podman

My Ride: E46 Coupe
My car is coming up to 15 years old. I still have both original keys and they both work.
Recognizing that the car charges the batteries in the keys,
I have a rolling reminder in my To Do list to swap the keys every 3 months.
Works for me.
Mr Podman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 07:28 PM   #25
phoopsta

My Ride: 02 330xi 3-pedal
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjoh View Post
Broken connection, cracked solder joint or component most likely. If it works best right after charging then likely a bad MOSFET.
Mine just works when it wants. I can go for a drive and park and it wont work. I come back the next morning it works. Go for a drive and park it again. Works... go in and have a sandwich, come out and it doesnt work. Forgot my wallet in the sandwhich shop, come back out and it works. Wtf.

Ok I know that may of not made sense but thats what happens.
Old 08-11-2014, 08:25 PM   #26
scottjoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoopsta View Post
Mine just works when it wants. I can go for a drive and park and it wont work. I come back the next morning it works. Go for a drive and park it again. Works... go in and have a sandwich, come out and it doesnt work. Forgot my wallet in the sandwhich shop, come back out and it works. Wtf.

Ok I know that may of not made sense but thats what happens.
It may not make sense, but, that's what I see all the time coming in for repair.
Old 08-12-2014, 08:03 AM   #27
fourtysix

My Ride: e46
i had one key that worked sparringly and the other was dead.
i just did this and it worked like a charm on the dead key.
i can even roll down my windows via remote now.
thanks for this
fourtysix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 01:37 PM   #28
gambit2099

My Ride: 01 bmw 325i
i have a new key from dealer an i got this car aout of action in great codition but i try all ways i read here or on you tube for sync key an still no go it will not work any other ideas i should check thanks 01 E46 ..
gambit2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 09:33 AM   #29
BUDGET76

My Ride: 03' M3 & 95' 330TI
Just picked up my M3 with 1 fob working, and 1 brand new looking one not working. Synched, and now both work perfect

Now I need to get the memory setup for the seats/mirrors, it definitely has someone's settings saved to the newer key.
BUDGET76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 10:13 PM   #30
BillyBobJOnes

My Ride: 2000 323i e46
I am very very happyyy

Hahah I got kinda down that my key in working snd so I thought the battery was dead kept trying this trick it wouldn't work...eventually I realized my doors were locked
Unlocked them all and it worked right away I was so happy. Thank you!!
BillyBobJOnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 03:12 AM   #31
ti317

My Ride: 02 330ci coupe 5 spd
E46s came with 4 keys. 2 key fobs, 1 valet and 1 plastic emergency key.

Why would anyone not obtain all 4?
Old 11-02-2015, 02:35 PM   #32
lllRazorlll
Modded ///Member

My Ride: '00 328i
My car is 16 years old and I have all 4. Original as well
Old 11-02-2015, 05:25 PM   #33
ti317

My Ride: 02 330ci coupe 5 spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by lllRazorlll View Post
My car is 16 years old and I have all 4. Original as well
A Fanatic! Like me.
Every car I own, has all of its keys, all originally supplied tools and the owner's manual, until the day I part with it.

If I lend one of my daughters or my wife the car, I give them the second key and I don't have to worry about my seat, mirrors, A/C setting, or radio presets.
If I get my car detailed, I deadbolt the trunk, lock the glove box and give the valet key for use.
I have my wife keep the plastic key in her purse in case I lose the keys (I keep my primary key and valet key on a splittable key chain) or I keep it on a separate key chain with my house key.
Old 11-02-2015, 06:54 PM   #34
franz

My Ride: 03 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBobJOnes View Post
Hahah I got kinda down that my key in working snd so I thought the battery was dead kept trying this trick it wouldn't work...eventually I realized my doors were locked
Unlocked them all and it worked right away I was so happy. Thank you!!
I am trying to understand what is being said/done here
franz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 07:14 PM   #35
mooseX

My Ride: 03 330xi 6 gears
my first 4 E46's came with just one lousy key BUT all were in working order. Just bought my latest 330xi and to my surprise got 3 keys! None of them are charged though. Thanks I'll try this out
mooseX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 08:16 PM   #36
Option_d

My Ride: X5
Good info.
I've recently replaced the battery on my 2nd key and have got it working. However whenever I program the 2nd key to work, the original first key stops working. I can reprogram the 1st key to work but then the 2nd key stop working. I just can't get both keys to work together. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
Option_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 03:35 PM   #37
scottjoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Option_d View Post
Good info.

I've recently replaced the battery on my 2nd key and have got it working. However whenever I program the 2nd key to work, the original first key stops working. I can reprogram the 1st key to work but then the 2nd key stop working. I just can't get both keys to work together. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Do the procedure again, but, DO NOT, put the 2nd key in the ignition.
Old 01-20-2016, 04:32 PM   #38
jfoj
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 330CiC, M5, X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ti317 View Post
E46s came with 4 keys. 2 key fobs, 1 valet and 1 plastic emergency key.

Why would anyone not obtain all 4?
Not really true, the early E46 came with 4 keys, however the plastic spare/wallet key was phased out for build dates as of 11/2003.

Many used cars come with only one key, after many moves, owners, many auctions, divorces, repossessions, dealers having all the original keys is next to impossible.

Often the keys can get lost just inside a disorganized dealer during a trade or even if car has a full set of keys from an auction.

I purchased a new vehicle from a dealer once and they could only find one key. I really pushed for them to find the other original key, they offered to get a replacement, however, I wanted the originals. After a lot of work by the admin staff in the back office, they finally found the key in the bottom of the file cabinet where it fell out of the folder.

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temp, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose temp switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 02:12 AM   #39
Peterabram

My Ride: bmw
Actually,I had a situation where the car would not start. I pushed the start button and I got a message that FOB was not recognized. The car would not start till I held the FOB next to the plastic door.Then i find Sunrise Locksmith and really they are commendable and provide awesome locksmithing service._nr_
Peterabram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 11:36 AM   #40
jmo69

My Ride: 03 325xi 98 328is
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterabram View Post
Actually,I had a situation where the car would not start. I pushed the start button and I got a message that FOB was not recognized. The car would not start till I held the FOB next to the plastic door.Then i find Sunrise Locksmith and really they are commendable and provide awesome locksmithing service._nr_
Didn't know e46's were available with push button start.

Tags
battery, dead, key, remote, replace