E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 75 votes, 4.95 average. Display Modes
Old 06-02-2010, 03:29 PM   #21
Miko_10

My Ride: 330i 5 Spd
Duralast 49DL here. I replaced my OEM one in 08/2007(~$90). It was replaced under warranty in 2008, good to know I have other options nowdays. thanks for posting.

FS(PM me if interested, MID Atlantic Area, 22307 zip)
- 2 M68 fronts w/ winter tires, local pick up preferred,
- OEM Pre face Sedan Clears.
Miko_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 03:50 PM   #22
mickey513

My Ride: e46
Quote:
Originally Posted by iansanderson View Post
you should always connect the vent tube. Car batteries give off explosive gas while being charged or heated. It also acts as a drain for corrosive acid.
I hope you weren't breathing in the acid fumes.
mickey513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 03:53 PM   #23
mickey513

My Ride: e46
Quote:
Originally Posted by trizzuth View Post
i have the duralast 49DL in my 01 330i. been in there for at least 3-4 years now, still cranks like a beast!
The Duralast 49DL I got was a piece of crap. It died a month after the free replacement period. Never had a battery died so quick before. They did offer to pro-rate a new replacement battery for me but the price had went up to like $90 from the $70 I bought it a few years back.

Even after the pro-rate offer, it was still almost $50, said screw it and ran across the Wally world 94R battery thread, it was a perfect fit.
mickey513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 05:09 PM   #24
delmarco

My Ride: 335xi Deep Sea Blue
Send a message via ICQ to delmarco Send a message via Yahoo to delmarco
this is good info.
subbed
Old 06-02-2010, 05:10 PM   #25
ALPIN3

My Ride: E46 M3 & E46 323i
Just bought the Everstart Maxx 94R last month and so far so good...hoping it lasts.
Old 06-02-2010, 05:13 PM   #26
ozymandias

My Ride: 330i ZHP, 94 MR2T
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumere46 View Post
costco has similar battery for 65$
If so this is a great deal, I think Costco batteries are warrantied for either 6 or 10 years.
ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 05:18 PM   #27
ALPIN3

My Ride: E46 M3 & E46 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozymandias View Post
If so this is a great deal, I think Costco batteries are warrantied for either 6 or 10 years.
I'm just surprised they don't come in a pack of 4.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:07 PM   #28
delmarco

Quote:
Originally Posted by security6 View Post
I've had the same battery for 1.5 years and it has been working great.
I think my battery is the original in the car...8 years strong and even though my battery shows a green indicator I'm pretty certain I may need to replace it soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALPIN3 View Post
I'm just surprised they don't come in a pack of 4.

Last edited by delmarco; 06-02-2010 at 07:09 PM.
delmarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 07:48 PM   #29
carcus

My Ride: 2006 BMW M5
49DL here. Been working great for me. I wanted the better CCA for the winter.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:59 PM   #30
TheRusski

My Ride: gone...
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumere46 View Post
costco has similar battery for 65$
More info Please!
Old 06-02-2010, 08:04 PM   #31
VECTOR

My Ride: 2004 330CI auto vert
I typically buy my batteries from Autozone and get the Duralast Gold which I've been very happy with.
I will say that although I do not believe in shopping at Walmart for a variety of reasons, they do have a good battery policy. I bought a car with a Wally World battery that had gone bad. I however did not have the receipt for it. The manager said bring it in, and he looked up a code which told him it was less than 3 years old(from the manufacturer), so he gave me a replacement without any charge.
Take that for what it is worth.
VECTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 03:43 AM   #32
ZZen330

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
I'm still on the original battery. Just over 8 years now. Still starts like new.

But a 94RN from walmart (the white one if I can find it) sounds like the way to go when it kicks it.
ZZen330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 08:27 PM   #33
pkincy

My Ride: 2005 BMW M3 Conv
My Everlast Maxx 94R went in my 05 M3 Vert today. The old 94R from NAPA went in 9/07, so the OEM only lasted 18 months. So much for BMW battery quality.

My car doesn't have 30,000 miles on it and sitting around in Az heat is not good for a battery, no matter who makes it.

10 mm socket on a 1/4 mm ratchet was all it took. Loosen - post and remove. Loosen positive post and remove after remove plastic cover. Loosen either with large phillips or 10 mm the long bolt that tightens the metal hold down clamp. Pull vent. Remove battery. Replace battery. Reinstall old vent line in hole middle of the top of the front side of the battery (front is the cars front). Reattach pos terminal and tighten. Replace plastic cover. reattach - terminal and tighten. Reattach cover by lifting spare tire cover/trunk bottom and slipping cover in and sliding it into the right rear corner of the trunk Close trunk. Go to the fridge and grab a beer for a job well done.

Perry
pkincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 12:08 AM   #34
TitaniumCranium
/// Limitless

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330Ci
According to the ETK (Electronik), which is BMW's electronic parts catalog, the OEM battery is made for BMW by Exide. When ordered by BMW as a replacement you receive an Exide battery. This is likely the direct OEM relacement.

/// MODS
/// Auto => 6-Spd Manual Conversion | Apex EC-7 | Koni/Ground Control Coilovers | Vorshlag Camber Plates | Meyle HD LCA | PowerFlex bushings | GruppeM rep CAI | Shark Injector | 5000k Xenarc CBI 66240 HID | BMW European MTechII | BMW Performance Shifter | ACS Mirrors and Rear Spoiler ///

Last edited by TitaniumCranium; 06-05-2010 at 12:11 AM.
TitaniumCranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 07:46 AM   #35
lkorban

My Ride: 2003 325xi
This is the battery we put in our 325xi 2 days ago...now the car won't start.
lkorban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 09:18 AM   #36
DPF

My Ride: 01 325i Sedan
Put a Wally world batt in the wifes 325 a while ago when her alty went. Still had the stock batt I believe at the time (9.5 years old).

Anyway, went with the Wally World Batt, then a month later it was dead again. Turned out to be the alty I had put in was bad. Got another alty, also took the first batt back to WalMart, explained that I don't know if the batt's bad or not, but wanted to replace just in case. No problems. They gave me a new one and I put that in when I put in the second alternator.

All has been fine ever since. WalMart batt cranks like crazy and was great thru the winter. Again, I swapped mine out but my issue was due to alty, not the batt. Wal Mart still exchanged it no questions or problems.

[edit]lkorban, that doesn't sound like a battery problem then. Have you checked your voltage to see if your alternators working properly?[/edit]

-DPF

Last edited by DPF; 06-05-2010 at 09:29 AM.
DPF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 09:47 AM   #37
lkorban

My Ride: 2003 325xi
The alternator was checked a couple of months back...but maybe we should check it again.
lkorban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 12:50 PM   #38
delmarco

Where did you see the Walmart 94RN in white?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovert View Post
I bought a battery from Wally World too for the same price. They had 94RN's but it fit and the vent tube fit totally fine.

I was at another Walmart and found a white version of the battery too with the same model #. It even had the health indicator eye just like on the OEM white battery.
Old 06-05-2010, 02:29 PM   #39
leeroy74

My Ride: 2002 3251
Replaced mine from wallmart been going strong for 3 months now. They had a white one too but I looked at the back of the battery and the manufacture date was a year and a half older than the everstart max one. I bought the newly manufactured black one. The white one was sitting on the shelf for a year and a half... Love wally world can't beat their prices on anything!
leeroy74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 01:13 PM   #40
VECTOR

My Ride: 2004 330CI auto vert
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeroy74 View Post
Love wally world can't beat their prices on anything!
Believe me when I say price is not everything. Walmart is not a place you should do business with solely based on price. Sure you may save a few dollars here and there, but there is a price our society pays for always trying to save a buck. I stopped doing most business with Walmart when they joined a lawsuit supporting a Chinese glass manufacturer over an American Glass company, all because they would not knuckle under to Walmart's coercion and intimidation tactics. That is but one of many instances where Walmart has attempted to force American businesses to close here in America and move overseas for cheap labor, just so they can bring products back over here at cheaper prices.
VECTOR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
49-dl, advanced, agm, auto, autozone, battery, duralast, h7, h8, official, pepboys, thread, walmart