E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 75 votes, 4.95 average. Display Modes
Old 09-07-2010, 12:43 PM   #61
ZZen330

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
Ok I know this sounds crazy, but can someone give a very detailed step by step for completely removing the battery cover tray in a coupe? I know to take the trunk liner out and remove the plastic screw thungs, etc, but the most I can ever do is to lift the front of the tray up and kinda prop it up out of the way (when I needed to disconnect the negative terminal). I can't get the side carpet fender panel out of the way no matter what I do. It doesn't seem to come off the same as the driver side which I've removed easily for CD changer connection. Also, the green gas filler pull tab seems to be in the way. I need to know this eventually when I need to change the battery.

Thanks.
ZZen330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 10:14 AM   #62
TX_Bullet

My Ride: 2001 325Xi
just dropped 180 on a duralast platinum gel cell battery at auto zone. Comes with 3 year warranty. I would of gone to wal mart put my old man wanted the points
Number of Destroyed Newb Destroyers- 1
The Mods

Power Flex FCAB
Much more coming.....
TX_Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 12:36 PM   #63
rovert

My Ride: is an Individual
Send a message via ICQ to rovert Send a message via AIM to rovert Send a message via MSN to rovert Send a message via Yahoo to rovert
I'm amazed what people will do for points these days. I hope the points were worth the $100 premium.

I've heard good things about gel cells though!

Last edited by rovert; 09-08-2010 at 12:37 PM.
rovert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 03:18 PM   #64
delmarco

My Ride: 335xi Deep Sea Blue
Send a message via ICQ to delmarco Send a message via Yahoo to delmarco
I saw this White OEM beauty today at the local mom and pops auto store.

Fresh delivery with a SEPT 2010 STAMP!

They want $129 w/ a 64 month FULL WARRANTY/REPLACEMENT in addition to the 8 year/3year warranty from Exide (based on the principle that the battery is guaranteed to last 8 years and beyond.

Old 09-08-2010, 03:30 PM   #65
OrientBlau

My Ride: 2003 330i
My OEM battery is 8 years old... will have to replace it before this winter.
OrientBlau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 08:03 AM   #66
delmarco

FTW add to the list

EXIDE 94r-8 Platinum 8

875CCA
8y-limited manu/3y-full manu/64months-in store no questions
$129 - $5 for core
no fit issues and a direct oem replacement

For me Warranty was way more IMPORTANT than CCA stats when choosing a battery.
The EXIDE 94r-8 gives the best warranty I ever seen for a battery. It also includes Free 3 Year Roadside Assistance and Jump Starting Service.

More important than that I like my batteries like I like my coffee...milky white.

Even the OEM Breather Valve and Red Positive Terminal Protection Cap directly swaps over to the new Exide 8 battery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci00782 View Post
FYI:

Sears
International
765CCA
3y/8y (prorated)
$145

Autozone Duralast
49-DL
850CCA
2y/5y (prorated)
$95 + $5 core

94-RDLG (Gold) *told that this would fit my '04 325i
730CCA
3y/5y (prorated)
$145 + $5 core

I'm doing some research on this - thinking preventative

Last edited by delmarco; 09-30-2010 at 08:42 AM.
delmarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 09:38 AM   #67
GCoop

My Ride: '04 325xi
^^ You got this at Wal-Mart??? Must be a region specific SKU I guess. Either that or they substituted the Exide label SKU for the MAX SKU. The only thing at the local walmarts here are the Everstyart MAXX which are made by Exide.
GCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 12:47 PM   #68
delmarco

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCoop View Post
^^ You got this at Wal-Mart??? Must be a region specific SKU I guess. Either that or they substituted the Exide label SKU for the MAX SKU. The only thing at the local walmarts here are the Everstyart MAXX which are made by Exide.
No I got it at Strauss Auto. A local NY Auto store similar to AutoZone or NAPA
Old 09-30-2010, 01:05 PM   #69
Master Po

My Ride: E46 no more
Holy crap.
8 min video to describe a battery?
You can BS.
Master Po is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 09:58 PM   #70
GCoop

My Ride: '04 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarco View Post
No I got it at Strauss Auto. A local NY Auto store similar to AutoZone or NAPA
Oh. OK.
/Runs off confused by the thread tile
GCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 09:09 AM   #71
delmarco

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCoop View Post
Oh. OK.
/Runs off confused by the thread tile
okay I see you guys arrived alittle late. This is in fact one of a few threads concerning Battery replacement for our cars. A couple of folks did not want to get the Autozone Duralast due to fit issues, confusion of the ventilation tube location and the relatively short warranty. The positives of the Duralast is the higher than average CCA and an average cost of around $90 to $180 (for the platinum gel version). Though this battery can be tricky to pin down because the Autozone computer and staff will tell you it is not for the BMW E46 cars leaving you to just go to the stores and buying the Duralast on faith alone with the specs you read at an online forum.

A few years ago someone discovered an OEM like-for-like battery at Walmart called the Everlast 94R, it came with a nice warranty, high CCAs, the vent tube was exactly in the spot as the OEM battery's location and BEST OF ALL the battery was ONLY $77! This is a good a direct replacement BUT the kicker is not all Walmarts carry it and the few that do it is usually sold out or back ordered as I discovered in the NYC area after going to a few Walmarts.
There was also said by many to be a rare white version of the Everlast 94R that came with the oem indicator eye and looked exactly like an OEM battery but relabeled. This discovery pretty much certified that the Everlast 94R and OEM Battery are two batteries from the same family/overhead company which as it turns out is EXIDE Batteries.

Now a few months ago I discovered a mutant version of the Walmart Everlast 94R called the MAXXX edition which also cost $77 and looked identical to the basic 94R with the exception of more compartment cells outlined on at the top of the battery, increased weight and heft, and extremely high CCAs at around 910!

I didn't buy it because it was the last one on the shelf and it had liquid all around the bottom and I didn't think it would have fit anyway and the thing was extremely heavier than the OEM battery.

A few weeks ago I was in a local Strauss Auto store looking for something else when I happened to glance at the massive battery shelf and noticed all usual black batteries with one brand new white one in the middle of the shelf. That is how I came to find the EXIDE Platinum 94r-8.

Which is the missing link between the OEM battery that you pay $200 to $400 for at the dealership and the identical Everstart 94R that is $77 at Walmart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Po View Post
Holy crap.
You can BS.

This is information ONLY useful and interesting to someone shopping for a battery for an E46. If you ain't then I do not expect you to be at all impressed by the information.

Go troll around elsewhere unless all the pedophile websites are down at the moment which is how you ended up here.

Last edited by delmarco; 10-01-2010 at 09:23 AM.
Old 10-01-2010, 10:36 AM   #72
Master Po

I replaced my battery with the Autozone one. There was never a fit issue. It's been running great for more than 5 years and it was about $70 at the time.
I will try the Walmart one next time.
A battery is a battery. If the CCA matches or is higher everything else is bs to satisfy people with OCD. White over black. Yeah right. You don't even see it because it's covered by the trunk lining.
Old 10-01-2010, 11:20 AM   #73

My Ride: bike
94r is the group or size as far as i know, so anywhere you go that sells car batteries you should be able to get a 94R group battery and it should be the same size
7808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 11:49 AM   #74
OrientBlau

Quote:
Holy crap.
You can BS.

The devil is in the details. Detail is important.

Believe it or not, Powerpoint helped bring down the Space Shuttle. PPT is a program which widdles down information into more palatable chunks, and in the process, invariably has to make various details more succinct. Anyway, the PPT which was used to assess and analyze the shielding panel which broken off during launch, had minimized the importance to address this issue more seriously.

Sometimes the broad picture leaves out too much detail. I know there are a lot fo DIYs which assume you know how to fill in the gaps and much detail is left out. So kudos for Delmarco for givng us a very detailed assessment of this battery.
Old 10-01-2010, 11:58 AM   #75
Master Po

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrientBlau View Post
The devil is in the details. Detail is important.

Believe it or not, Powerpoint helped bring down the Space Shuttle. PPT is a program which widdles down information into more palatable chunks, and in the process, invariably has to make various details more succinct. Anyway, the PPT which was used to assess and analyze the shielding panel which broken off during launch, had minimized the importance to address this issue more seriously.

Sometimes the broad picture leaves out too much detail. I know there are a lot fo DIYs which assume you know how to fill in the gaps and much detail is left out. So kudos for Delmarco for givng us a very detailed assessment of this battery.

If what you said had any merit, I'm sure NASA (and the victim families, and surely some tax payer lobby group) would have sued MSFT.
Powerpoint brought down the Space Shuttle as much as a knife killed the victim.
People kill people!

Your flawed analogy aside, he did not make a DIY video.
Were it a video describing how to install the battery, I'd have no problems with any amount of detail.
He's just showing the battery he bought. How it looks like. How big it is.
It's like making a 8 min video describing a AA Duracell battery next to a AA Energizer. I would not know what to say to fill that 8 mins. I must give him props for that.

Last edited by Master Po; 10-01-2010 at 12:08 PM.
Old 10-01-2010, 12:18 PM   #76
delmarco

Quote:
You don't even see it because it's covered by the trunk lining.
99% of the mods people waste money on at e46fanatics they never see, or benefit from in terms of mpg or bhp categories (and these are two of the biggest selling points in 2010 for automobiles with mpg being obviously more prevalent)

I agree with you when I tell the kids here that waste money on 19" chrome rims or clear corners and swollen aftermarket bumpers. It is stuff they will clearly never see or benefit from in any daily driving situation and it pretty much only impresses other guys who are into those mods (so you can't say you are doing it to get pu$$y or a better job or more money).

I didn't get a white battery to impress anyone. I clearly stated I was looking for the Walmart Everstart 94R battery because I WANTED a direct replacement fit without having to modify my battery bay with wooden blocks or soda straws, when I accidentally discovered the EXIDE battery.

The big selling points for me like I stated is having an 8 Year Replacement Warranty and EXIDE Road Side Assistance and Jumpstart, 3 Year FULL Warranty, in addition to Strauss Auto's 64 month in store no questions asked replacement warranty!

Tell me if you got that on your $90 Duralast?

AT the end of the day if the white battery was a $hitty fit , with a $hitty warranty and $hitty reviews it would not be in my car.
Old 10-01-2010, 12:27 PM   #77
delmarco

Quote:

He's just showing the battery he bought. How it looks like. How big it is.
Believe it or not you little noob my inbox, after I listed the initial pictures of the white EXIDE batteries, were filled with people from as far as Canada asking me for MORE detailed information on the White EXIDE battery.

They didn't ask for install tips or a DIY for buying or swapping out a battery. They simply wanted the info about the battery as I stated in the video. I have over 100 videos on my youtube channel discussing various mods, diy projects and maintenance tips. One 8 minute video about a battery is not a big deal for me.

So I really don't care about what you find interesting or not. I didn't do the video for you, to impress you, nor did I expect an annoying new member to be pestering this thread with comments about the video.

I shot the video. People who asked me for it already thanked me and we have all moved on with our lives and modding other things in our cars. So if you want to spend the rest time pestering over this thread and this one 8 minute video to prove how cool and smart you are then enjoy. We all got better things to do.

maybe you can spend time analyzing this video of my latest project.

like I said I moved on already and you should too.

Last edited by delmarco; 10-01-2010 at 12:29 PM.
Old 10-01-2010, 02:30 PM   #78
Master Po

I was responding to that other poster who said you did a DIY, when you clearly didn't.
Nor do I think you needed to. Not for a battery.
But let's move on...

Holy cow, another 9 min video.
Unlike the battery, I do think that it would be helpful to include tips on how to take the wheel off. Do you do that in this video? I'm sorry, but I had to quit after 2 mins.
I replaced mine with the M3 wheel as well, back in 2001, within 6 months of getting my car. As there was no such technological marvels as Youtube back then, I can tell you that without the written DIY that I read I could not have guessed that there are 2 hidden holes on the sides of the wheel where you need to stick a thin screw driver in.

Say, do you have a video that shows how to replace the oil level sensor on a e46?
Old 10-01-2010, 03:10 PM   #79
OrientBlau

Quote:

If what you said had any merit, I'm sure NASA (and the victim families, and surely some tax payer lobby group) would have sued MSFT.
Powerpoint brought down the Space Shuttle as much as a knife killed the victim.
People kill people!
I don't make things up.

Google: Space shuttle powerpoint (many articles)

or read the 12/03 NYT article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/12/14/magazine/14POWER.html

Quote:
In August, the Columbia Accident Investigation Board at NASA released Volume 1 of its report on why the space shuttle crashed. As expected, the ship's foam insulation was the main cause of the disaster. But the board also fingered another unusual culprit: PowerPoint, Microsoft's well-known ''slideware'' program.

NASA, the board argued, had become too reliant on presenting complex information via PowerPoint, instead of by means of traditional ink-and-paper technical reports. When NASA engineers assessed possible wing damage during the mission, they presented the findings in a confusing PowerPoint slide -- so crammed with nested bullet points and irregular short forms that it was nearly impossible to untangle. ''It is easy to understand how a senior manager might read this PowerPoint slide and not realize that it addresses a life-threatening situation,'' the board sternly noted.

PowerPoint is the world's most popular tool for presenting information. There are 400 million copies in circulation, and almost no corporate decision takes place without it. But what if PowerPoint is actually making us stupider?

This year, Edward Tufte -- the famous theorist of information presentation -- made precisely that argument in a blistering screed called The Cognitive Style of PowerPoint. In his slim 28-page pamphlet, Tufte claimed that Microsoft's ubiquitous software forces people to mutilate data beyond comprehension. For example, the low resolution of a PowerPoint slide means that it usually contains only about 40 words, or barely eight seconds of reading. PowerPoint also encourages users to rely on bulleted lists, a ''faux analytical'' technique, Tufte wrote, that dodges the speaker's responsibility to tie his information together. And perhaps worst of all is how PowerPoint renders charts. Charts in newspapers like The Wall Street Journal contain up to 120 elements on average, allowing readers to compare large groupings of data. But, as Tufte found, PowerPoint users typically produce charts with only 12 elements. Ultimately, Tufte concluded, PowerPoint is infused with ''an attitude of commercialism that turns everything into a sales pitch.''

Microsoft officials, of course, beg to differ. Simon Marks, the product manager for PowerPoint, counters that Tufte is a fan of ''information density,'' shoving tons of data at an audience. You could do that with PowerPoint, he says, but it's a matter of choice. ''If people were told they were going to have to sit through an incredibly dense presentation,'' he adds, ''they wouldn't want it.'' And PowerPoint still has fans in the highest corridors of power: Colin Powell used a slideware presentation in February when he made his case to the United Nations that Iraq possessed weapons of mass destruction.

Of course, given that the weapons still haven't been found, maybe Tufte is onto something. Perhaps PowerPoint is uniquely suited to our modern age of obfuscation -- where manipulating facts is as important as presenting them clearly. If you have nothing to say, maybe you need just the right tool to help you not say it.
Old 10-17-2010, 03:19 PM   #80
ALPIN3

My Ride: E46 M3 & E46 323i
Just a quick update on my end...

After only 5 months of use, my Everstart Maxx 94R battery has dropped down to 14.0v (when the car is running) instead of the normal 14.3v it should be at. My DSC, ABS, and brake lights are coming on intermittently due to it. I thought it was due to a wheel speed sensor at first, but it seems that the 94R has already taken a dive and can't supply the DSC system with the proper voltage...hence the dash lights flickering on and off.

So...in about and hour I'm going to be heading back to the store to swap it out for a new one. We'll see if this new one is still holding a charge 5 months down the road or if the same thing happens again.

Tags
49-dl, advanced, agm, auto, autozone, battery, duralast, h7, h8, official, pepboys, thread, walmart